Is Dostoyevski the greatest novelist ever ?

Is Dostoyevski the greatest novelist ever ?

I love Dosteeyevsky.

Dostiyovsky is the greatest

Dontstopyetski is the greatest

Drumpoyevskumpf

More like Gaystoyevski amirite guys

Literally not even in the top 50

This. Dusty Dosty is a soyboy and classic conservacuck zionist shill. Sad!

Tolstoy takes a fat shit on Dostoevsky

Goystoy is better

I mean, yeah.

glempfoiskehvyehsykskij ilyonajobitvtsj

>I am a sick man.... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe I poop too much, and it hurts when I make pee pee.

Wow so dramatic

Not a great writer, but rather a mediocre one—with flashes of excellent humour but, alas, with wastelands of literary platitudes in between.

Hardly. He's cool, though. Too Christian for my taste.

The most engrossing for sure, and one of the best psychologists. The greatest? I would disagree

your favorite author's favorite author

>uses 5 different names for same character
>every chapter has at least one monologue where character has a breakdown

I love him nontheless. Take note that his books feature very few pointless descriptions of places or landscapes, there's absolutely NO cheap poetry in them, he avoids cliché, too. He's both under- and overrated, but obviously one of the fathers of modern literature, philosophy and (sadly) late 19th and early 20th century thought

>uses 5 different names for same character
That's just Russia though, all its authors do this

>alas
go buy a helium tank

Where do I go after him? He's what got me into reading again.

No

Cmon dude, dosto does it way more

Hamsun, Kafka, Celine, Hemingway, Gogol, Lermontov, Mishima, Salinger the list could go on.

Do you want to stay in the 19th century or are you looking for something more modern?

Not the greatest ever, his novels are too focused on philosophical and speculative content to the detriment of everything else. There is poetry to them and often thought-provoking ideas, but they're structurally messy.
But man, those moments where he loses it and starts rambling desperately are fucking wonderful.

Why does Turgenev never get the recognition he deserves?

I was thinking about continuing with more russian lit, but I don't know exactly who to read next.

what have you read fron Dostoyevski?

Why do russian authors focus so much on dialogue?

TBK, Notes, The Double, The Gambler, C&P, Demons, The Idiot, and a collection of his short stories (in that order). I thought about reading A Raw Youth and Poor Folk before moving on, but apparently they aren't worth reading.

What a horrible thread

because he's Karamazinov, Dostoevsky was right

Yes

>Poor Folk
>Not worth reading

If you like Dostoyevsky and his authorship why would you not like to read his earliest written novel?

What's his name again?

One could argue. Rather.

I read Crime and Punishment and didn't laugh much. Did I miss anything?

> he doesn't understand the translaitor silently westernized the naming system

Tolstoy

Russians were going through a romantic-realist phase around the time their greats started writing.

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums