Why do study the Greeks, but do not strive to look like a Greek God?

Why do study the Greeks, but do not strive to look like a Greek God?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/7n8hczuqutiv4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But I do user.

That's not a Greek god

I already look like Socrates.

Quads of truth.

Very good read. Inspired me to do a quick workout

I ask this question to my professors a lot desu

That'd be mean. All of my professors are post-stroke.

My classics prof isn't even white.
I don't care as long as someone is keeping the flame alive.

Just started the 5x5 workout plan, will be Greek god soon thanks to my superior genetic makeup

Vanity is fleeting.

that guy is such a fucking cutie

Kind of redundant what you said. But if you mean that exercise and bodybuilding is vanity, well anything could be interpreted as vanity, even the pursuit of knowledge. It's better to find a middle ground between knowledge seeking and exercise because the two compliment each other very well.

I will try to look like this for you user

Its part bullshit
Modern recreations duplciated the feats of athenian society. Trained soldiers managed to carry and run at the few miles a load equivolent to hoplites would have.

Not saying Greeks were not fit, or modern society has its share of fat obese slobs but what Greeks did was doable and manageable for anyone who excersized

look like a scrawny pencil neck?

That guy looks scrawny as hell

we study the greeks, but why don't the greeks study us?

We know, user. We also know Socrates didn't went to a literal gym.
It's just a fun post.

that's a photo

Socrates was buff as fuck
Plato was a tank

OP's pic is barely ottermode lmao

I tried getting into fitness, but ultimately it wasn't for me.

>finding a decent schedule or routine that's proven to work is almost impossible due to everyone having different opinions and lots of false marketing
>feeling physically and mentally drained after a gym session leaves you with enough energy to barely watch TV for the rest of the day
>unless you eat unrealistic amounts of food everyday, you're not going to physically look much different (although this isn't the case with fat people)
>gyms are busy places full of judgmental, superficial people. "No one cares about anyone in the gym" is a lie. A room full of people trying to look more attractive are obviously going to be judging someone unathletic, weak, skinny or fat
>missing a few days can be extremely detrimental to any gains made

I'm not a busy person, but unless going to the gym becomes you're main or only interest, the benefits aren't enough if you're not going almost every day.

I do follow and encourage a healthy diet though.

Ayyy, now what about my boy Aristotle

Seneca, "Letters from stoic", letter 15 : "It is indeed foolish, my dear Lucilius, and very unsuitable for a cultivated man, to work hard over developing the muscles and broadening the shoulders and strengthening the lungs. For although your heavy feeding produce good results and your sinews grow solid, you can never be a match, either in strength or in weight, for a first-class bull. Besides, by overloading the body with food you strangle the soul and render it less active.

Accordingly, limit the flesh as much as possible, and allow free play to the spirit. Many inconveniences beset those who devote themselves to such pursuits."

"In the first place, they have their exercises, at which they must work and waste their life-force and render it less fit to bear a strain or the severer studies.

Second, their keen edge is dulled by heavy eating.

Besides, they must take orders from slaves of the vilest stamp, – men who alternate between the oil-flask and the flagon, whose day passes satisfactorily if they have got up a good perspiration and quaffed, to make good what they have lost in sweat, huge draughts of liquor which will sink deeper because of their fasting.

Drinking and sweating, – it’s the life of a dyspeptic!"

Stoics are retards. There, I said it.

You've missed the point.

I dont study the greeks but i exercise for health

I do as little exercise in order to avoid being sedentary.
Honestly i just can't be bothered, i'd rather be doing other things.

>>feeling physically and mentally drained after a gym session

If you follow a healthy diet and get enough sleep then this wouldn't be the case. You are somewhat right about the people that go to gyms, but that depends too on what kind of gym you are visiting. You can easily go to the gym three times a weak and get a strength workout in or whatever, or cardio even. You just need to form a habit.

Literally the same argument as 'why bother with muscle when you can die to a gun' that skellies use all the time

Actual Greeks looked more like this desu, they were powermanlets with extreme stamina, not bodybuilders who do everything to look pretty but can barely get up the stairs.

Renaissance statues are memes.

Are you retarded? I was replying to for a reason, you dumb fuck.

That's a good argument, which is why modern infantrymen don't look like Arnie.

im working on my pecs
thanks for the inspo

me on the right

Because I’ll still feel like shit

I will address your points one by one.

>5x5
>workout before sleep
>whey and creatine
>empty gym
>work ethic

You shouldn't work out every day, eating, sleeping and having a schedule will impact your life positively. just do this mediafire.com/folder/7n8hczuqutiv4

This. Virtue isn't about excelling in all areas, but about fulfilling your duty and state in life. It is vanity to care about muscle-building unless you work in a profession that requires it. Although, it is still good to keep yourself fit to some degree for the sake of health and attractiveness - but that kind can be achieved just by walking around enough and not eating too much.

The Greeks developed both a body culture and a culture of thought. They were obsessed with the idea of competition, it was called Agon.
The greatest philosophers were brought up as soldiers to defend their community, they were engaged in running, wrestling, rowing.
These were real warriors who could defeat the enemy both physically and in terms of creativity.
In addition, at that time people consumed few calories, so they did not have to do bodybuilding so that their body looked beautiful. Standard exercises - and you already have a beautiful musculature.

Socrates was fat.

>t. ancient soyboy

i like my philosophers ripped and fucking boi pucci because they got sick of all the women they had conquering enemies.

I've given the PDF a read and hand't heard of 5x5, which sounds somewhat efficient, but what do I do if I'm too weak for chin ups and dips?

It was still possible in Greek times to be an amazing polymath and have time left to get ripped as fuck. Not so today. I'm learning literature, politics, mathematics, physics, biology, arts and it's not leaving me too much time for anything else. Haven't hit the gym in months.

Try only doing the easiest part of them, that is lower yourself as slowly as you can instead of pulling yourself up.

Unless you have something really wrong with your body, you will very soon get strong enough. Also, ask on fit, or look in it's archive.

citation needed. the only knowledge we have of his appearance that I know of just calls him ugly. the guy was in the gym all the time and preaches regular exercise in The Republic.
yeah I haven’t read Seneca and I don’t think I’m going to because every time he’s quoted here it’s just some hot opinion like this. last quote i saw was him saying reading lots of books is a waste of time. looks like he’s just excusing his own laziness in both of these cases.

He's still a qt

>Fundamental Bodyweight exercises and basic weight training is all you need.
>Caffeine is a fantastic supplement, also, you may be working out too much, not resting enough
>It's all about macros, and figuring out your necessary caloric intake, also whey and creatine.
>People are in the gym because they are, insecure about themselves, therefore too busy worrying about themselves. Or trying to improve there own person and understand what it's like to be a beginner
>not true, once you hit the plateau after the massive noob gainz(6-12 Months) it will take 2 months before you seriously start losing gains, also, the extra rest may actually prove beneficial.

Just do calisthenics you actual retard

I strive to pound boy puss if that counts

Athenians were the ubermensch, Spartans were the Chads, Thebans were the niggers of the Aegean
no he didn’t stoics are the dumbest of all the philosophers of antiquity, statistically the dumbest modern following to if posts online are anything to go by
subhuman genetics
citation or stfu nigger, i don’t believe this for a second

what was Socrates' routine?

>to

oh no! go suckle on your slave books

What an awful post

1. Be piglike in appearance
2. Repeat

socrates would destroy you in a fight pussy

I'm well on my way to looking like Stavros Halkias.

He never said that reading lots of books is a waste of time.

Monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

heh. I get that reference.

false dichotomy. unless you obsess over your body unhealthely, working out definately improves rather than impedes mental activity. fucking stoics.

You must be quite the annoying little bugger. People who constantly ask questions besides the point to derail philosophy classes are the worst.

>powermanlets
he's 6'1

Callisthenics is the superior form of exercise.

>Veeky Forums makes a thread on another board because he's desperate for approval
10 times a day. Sad.