I’m trying to win an argument with my dad about inequality. Can some people familiar with economics help me out...

I’m trying to win an argument with my dad about inequality. Can some people familiar with economics help me out? Why is bad that 2 Canadians have the same amount of wealth as the other 10 million? He is saying shit like the 2 billionaires creat many jobs etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.stanford.edu/group/mappingmilitants/cgi-bin/groups/view/85
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because they won that status through generations. Why should they give away what they ancestors earned for them?

cat power is very Veeky Forums esp. her early albums

If they create so many jobs why don't I have one?

With their power and influence they garner benefits beyond what they pay for in capital. Corporatism and communism are two sides of the same coin and that coin is diametrically opposed to both capitalism and morality.

The world is unequal because people are unequal. What it comes down to is your system of values. You wish to stripmine the people that are smart to give to the people who are stupid to create a dysgenic playground, or do you wish to encourage people to create revolutionary innovations by incentivizing the behavior and rewarding them according to their creativity rather than punishing them? Maybe if people humbled themselves into being plumbers and electricians instead of striving for a humanities degree, they might actually have a well-paying job with little to no debt, debt which convinces them they need to rob the people who didn't even fleece them in the first place in order to pay it off.

It isn't

>the rich are just better than you

He's right.
Go read some books you commie

Maybe there just isn't anything wrong with some people having more money than others.

People become wealthy because they're good at deciding what things are worth investing in in terms of innovation and wealth creation which benefits everybody. The best people at deciding where wealth should go become the wealthiest which is why the free market system is the most efficient method of "distributing" wealth.

People tend to confuse wealth inequality which isn't really a problem with a perceived lack of social mobility, which could be a problem. You could make an argument that inheritance is unfair or the rich stay rich or something like that but you would need to provide some good reasons because when we look at hard data we see that free market economies are some of the most fair systems in the world. There are lots of poor people becoming rich and lots of rich people becoming poor which is why most of the people in the fortune 500 weren't there a decade ago. It's easy to look at categories of income and assume the classes are static but this is just a fallacy.

Cool it Dagny

If you're so good, do something to prove it.

Wealth inequality isn't bad per se but too much creates social unrest. OP it is possible that your dad has a bad case of the American so keep that in mind.

We’re not talking about “some”money it’s 2 people with the same wealth as 10 million others

?

this sounds good but the two richest canadians are probably some hedgefund fag and a sleaze who sells generic opiods, when was the last time u heard of something innovative from canada?

Why should it matter how much more somebody has?

There's no such thing as "creating jobs". All they're doing is buying labour power.

such an accumulation of wealth beyond their means means either they lack generosity towards their friends and charity towards the poor, or they’re so obsessed with their work that they value it over the good life they could be living otherwise- one focused on their family, human relations, spiritual life, and physical/mental perfection. Their wealth won’t save them from death, and both the Bible and Quran gaurentee them hellfire as a reward for miserly greediness and unpurified wealth.

Envying then for it is stupid though. For someone to accumulate that much capital, they were either born into it (and therefore had no say in the matter) or are fundamentally broke people.

This. If I have a son I will want to give my shit to him and not to the son of the local drunk. Poorfags need to stop being so hedonistic and expecting life to be fair just because. If they're poor is not fault of the system but of their ancestors for not working harder. They are fucked. They probably will never be rich and they need to accept that, but if they work hard enough and teach their sons to do the same thing then their decedents will be a bit richer every generation. It's not rocking science. Poorfags are just selfish people incapable of sacrificing themselves for the better good of the coming generations.

We really only have D-Wave.

Bill Gate has done more for the poor than any average Joe could ever do. Even if we don't count any of his charitable givings he has still done far more for society as a whole just from the jobs and families that he supported through his wealth creating enterprises.

i'm generally in favor of government policies that reduce inequality, aka tax the rich, but boy, i don't know how someone with such festering resentment and slave morality can call others "fundamentally broke people" lol

>the quran

mohammed was a rich af merchant who married into wealth give me a fucking break

same thing with JP Morgan for donating massively to the Met and making The Morgan Library public, the reason NYC has such wonderful museums and cultural institutions is because it's packed with rich af cosmopolitans, give an extra a dollar an hour to cooks and street sweepers would leave New York as devoid of culture as your average red state

The met sucks

Why shouldn’t sweepers and cooks also enjoy quality pussy and trips? They should be happy with their pittance?

i wish i had jaypeg for the smug smile on my face rn

Plenty of people do plenty of things to prove goodness every day, but most do not make money off it. Money does not flow by the hand of some benevolent god to things that are good and wholesome. Money flows to money, in banks and drugs and plastic.

street sweepers and cooks get tons of pussy, the reason you can't get laid isn't because ur poor it's cuz ur a soy

THIS

Posting in epic bait thread

original post was
>the rich are just better than you
They are in most cases. Maybe not morally better, but if you're worried about being a morally good person then wealth redistribution should not be what your goal is.

You left out quality cooks and sweepers are not getting quality ass

>They are in most cases.
That's incorrect. Most lower classes aren't idiots spending all their money on lottery tickets. They just have a job and work it until death. They struggle and get by.
The largest issue is that the gap is ever-growing, and effects are more visible now. Working a regular job with a high school degree in the 50s and 60s would be enough to get you a house, and your wife could even stay at home and take care of your kids. Now that same job will barely support a shit apartment with a roommate and no family.

How does a wealth gap make high school diplomas less valuable?

>the rich aren't better
Most people in the Fortune 500, like this user says, weren't there that long ago. There's still great mobility. If you're trying to say that the ones that are making it there aren't somehow better, either more intelligent or more hardworking (certainly both), then you're wrong.

The Fortune 500 is basically a list of lottery winners it’s better to look at the gap between average millionaires and working poor.

Lol I get all of my psychs from canada

>might makes right

Why? Not like money makes people all that more happy after needs are met and there a bit of spending cash in your pocket.

>they're good at deciding what things are worth investing in in terms of innovation and wealth creation which benefits everybody.
Oh right I guess that's why Coca-Cola hires Colombian Death Squads to stop their "employees" from causing such rabble as demanding living wages. Holy shit fucking neck yourself, bootlicker.

It doesn't change anything. People generally become wealthier as they get older and most of the people who are rich weren't born that way.

Look at studies of how average household income has increased vs. how GDP has increased.
"Ability to get money and keep it" is not something I consider a virtue. I don't think someone talented in it is a Better Human than someone not.

>posts on the new bootlicking shithole of the internet

>Look at studies of how average household income has increased vs. how GDP has increased.

Why?

>"Ability to get money and keep it" is not something I consider a virtue
Never said it was. I said people who get to the top are both smarter and more hardworking, or lucky.

Proof?

Why do you think that?
The smartest men I've ever met are my professors, none of whom will ever be on any Fortune 500 lists.
The most hardworking man I ever met was my grandfather, a machinist who got his GED at 60. He lived and died in a shitty neighborhood of Philadelphia, eventually crushed by the debt of years of chemotherapy.
Why wasn't his wealth proportional to how hardworking he was?

Because he was a cuck.

It's not about working hard, it's about working smart. In both of those cases the people you looked up to failed, sorry.

actually that's well documented, but it highlights the corruption in catholic majority countries more than a problem with capitalism itself

if he was so "hardworking" why did he procrastinate on doing his GED for 42 years? sounds kinda lazy to me

Mein gott!

Religious countries are the most corrupt as a rule. Even on a microlevel, religious areas are the most corrupt and the poorest in their respective country. Religion does not make you dumb but it's a great aggregate for dimwits.

>implying wealth inequality has no negative on social mobility

Anecdotes. You haven't met a CEO have you?

Why would it?

A smug, reprehensible attitude.

web.stanford.edu/group/mappingmilitants/cgi-bin/groups/view/85

Short version:
>Companies such as Chiquita and Coca-Cola admit to hiring paramilitary groups to "defend their interests," and said paramilitary groups have frequently assassinated union leaders demanding better pay and working conditions. Connect the fucking dots.

or equality!=equity

the hyper rich excluded, many "normal" rich people lose their money in 3 generations. it's a meme among them.

I think it's more that large organizations are corrupt as a rule, not religions specifically.

Inequality inside the state doesnt matter now,or at least its not as relevant.Most western countries have made huge progress in that regard.Inequality has now moved to a global scale.The poor are not a class anymore,they are entirr countries.
If your dad talks about Canada,you can just show him a few graphs you find on twitter about human progress.
If he mentions the fact that the malnourished kid in kenya that made your shirt is probably already dead,i dont think you can win.

Why should hard work directly translate to wealth? Nobody sweats more than a ditch digger but the work just isn't all that valuable.

colombia also had an ongoing marxist insurgency so there were plenty of ppl lining up to blast reds

The billionaires are probably rotting their souls, storing up treasure on earth instead of in heaven. You should pity them. Their immorality is it’s own punishment, but not its only punishment.

>people chose to violate unions coz god told them to instead of profit
Less brutal methods happened in the West for the same reasons.

Not him, but they failed at being CEOs. Most people wouldn't want to be in there shoes anyways, and so they find success in other ways that are more local. The stress and responsibility of a CEO is not something to underestimate.

This. Theft is still wrong though.

Fair point, but religious areas are more corrupt as a whole. I was refering to the larger populace, not the clergy itself. Strangely(or not) that goes for authocratic countries that tried to replace religious teaching with their own dogma too.

>arguing with your dad about correct use of money
>the man who raised you, fed and clothed you, for free

w e w

OP irreparably BTFO

This is your brain on lolbertardism.