Alright Veeky Forums, is this really a masterpiece or am i going to waste my afternoon reading this?

Alright Veeky Forums, is this really a masterpiece or am i going to waste my afternoon reading this?

Fuck you that book took me 5 weeks

It's only 860 pages

It's pretty ok, I believe it's overrated. I really liked that part near the end of the book between Jessica, Paul, and Guerney; it was heartwarming.

Overrated. I loved it as a kid, but I was pretty disappointed when I revisited it last year.

It's not exactly a work of prose, but that's not the reason to read sci-fi anyway.

If you think that sci-fi should expand your mind and grapple with big ideas, it's hard to do better than Dune.

French-speaker edition spotted

>t's not exactly a work of prose

Wut

Are you as cute as your dog, OP?

Yep. It's a masterpiece.

>It's not exactly a feat of prose
Happy now? Bet you're not.

I liked it, but you should temper your expectations before going in. Nothing ruins a good book or movie like having colossal expectations.

Well alright, it's pretty good si far. It's impossible

It's ok but I really lost interest towards the end, I don't think I even read the last two or so chapters

>I didn't read the ending of a plot-driven novel
How very postmodern of you.

I'm reading Children of Dune right now and I'm still not quite sure what the author is trying to say in regards to the environment or religion. Maybe it all just went over my head.

I read it in a day. It really is what one would call ‘a page-turner’; it is engaging and keeps your interest, but nothing more than that. It is just genre fiction, and if you go in expecting anything else you will be disappointed. But if you don’t expect too much, you will probably enjoy it.

Yeah i'm not expecting anything, i just know that there's a movie but i don't even know the plot. So i'm going in like a virgin in his first mating night

It's the sci-fi Count of Monte Cristo. It's entertaining, long, and incredibly overrated.

It's a great read, honestly. Just make sure you don't stop with the first book, this is terrible advice - Messiah and Children finish up the plotlines of Dune and are basically critiques of Paul's legacy. With God Emperor things went into weird directions and the novel is almost entirely an author tract, so I wouldn't call it essential, for fans only.

I also unironically enjoyed the Butlerian Jihad and House trilogies

Does anyone have that picture/reading guide of all the Dune books?

The Kevin J Anderson/Brian Herbert writing, though... that was painful. Hunters and Sandworms were worth it for closure, but honestly looking back they wouldn't be worth reading if you hadn't read Heretics/Chapterhouse, which are not especially worth it themselves unless you want the author's full story.

that's because Herbert puts tons of layers into his work. I've read all 6 of his dune books multiple times, consider them to all be masterworks... it takes more than one read, and that turns people off. it's intentional, though, by Herbert. to give his work re-read value. the problem is is that people aren't used to so much information being given to them... so it's easy to lose track of the "plot or point." like i already said though, everything he does is conscious and intentional. that's why i kek at plebs who complain about his "prose." he purposefully writes in a way that's audible friendly, as if it's being spoken... he did that because he said that language was spoken way before it was read/written (obviously).

such a gift to humanity what he accomplished with his dune series. they're incredibly complex and multi-layered with a ton to offer.

They're definitely good, but not masterworks. Easily some of the best scifi out there though. They do have a lot of that, but by Heretics/Chapterhouse I'd barely even call it good. Dune is easily a great work, though not top-tier. I think most people here are trying to say that in countering the rather common conception of it as a masterpiece than call it just average or something.
That said, I definitely don't think the length is at all unjustified, the work deserves it and fills out its pages well.

Dune is to Science fiction what Watership Down or Lord of the Rings are to fantasy.

Incredibly well made world. Incredible history.

There are a lot of similarities between LoTR and Dune, because I believe both books have parts at the end where you can read more about the lore and the world and the history and everything. So well developed. Frank Herbert's Dune was a great read.

Never read anything else he wrote though.

the thing is though, Heretics and Chapterhouse are the best out of the series lol. i hear this a lot though... like, A LOT. i simply don't understand it, to be honest. if i made my case to back up my feelings/thoughts i'd end up going on and on and on... if people feel that way, owell.

spoiler

say loudly: "breaking an imperial conditioning is impossible"
make it happen
say loudly: " to resist a desert storm is impossible"
make it happen

bullshitting, the true definition of it.

/spoiler

the point being that things considered "impossible" by people/society can actually be possible, you stupid goddamn moron.

yuel's conditioning was broken because he was in love with his bene gesserit wife. the pyscho power of love did it... that's the point being made.

paul's an atreides therefore an excellent pilot, plus a product of thousands of years of controlled breeding by the bene gesserit... on a planet where the spice is in everything.... in hyper alert mode running with his mother for his life so he sticks to part of the storm in a way suggested to him by kynes, who has gone native and understands the planet.

fucking stupid cunt, fuck you

I did read White Plague. Pretty good, though not as good as first Dune, still better than most of the sequels. Didn't much care for the ending, though I'm going to give it a second read before I decide it's a bad one.

It's fun

>I also unironically enjoyed the Butlerian Jihad and House trilogies
The absolute madman

Reading this in middle school was what brought me out of my cringy "lol I prefer the villains" phase. I remember really liking the good characters and finding the villains to be dull. I guess I would recommend it because it holds some personal importance to me, but it's been so long I could't tell you if the actual book is worth the read anymore.

sorry i ruined your orgy.
i'm really really sorry.
i mean it.