Alright...

Alright, so there's a vocal minority on this board that inexplicably loves this book and defends it every time it's brought up, and I want to know why. How do you defend this tepid bourgeois cyber thriller as an afterword to the career of a bomb throwing anarchist?

He was never an anarchist (or a primitivist or anything like it), you're just bad at reading.

Start thinking of the book as part of an arc containing Vineland and Inherent Vice as Pynch coping with the death of the country he loved to hate and the birth of one he just kinda hates mindlessly.

holy shit

So we had to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is a huge problem. I have a son—he’s 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers. It’s unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe, it's hardly doable. But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing. But that’s true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester. And certainly cyber is one of them.

it's funny as fuck

mfw

It was really boring. It exposes him as a pseudo intellectual Wikipedia skimmer. He could've made up for it if he could write

>yfw Pynchon and Trump are secretly friends, and the idea of 'Ziggytsopolis' was actually Barron's invention.

>Pynchon and Trump are secretly friends
Now that would be irony

Could there possibly an author better suited to create such a character (or secretly coach him into becoming some sort of accelerationist's idea of a functional president)?

>a bomb throwing anarchist
KEK

*clicky clicky bombing some countries*

>bomb throwing anarchist

pynch is NOT Webb Traverse
Pynch is Kitt Traverse
With a little bit of Seaman Bodine, Doc Sportello, and Tyrone Slothrop thrown in.

He's a bourgeoise liberal born too late for WWII and too early for accelerationism. Of course he's tepid when he writes a contemporary piece. My grandfather was born at a similar time and is just like him. A tepid-sweater wearing neoliberal hiding a hard on.

When Trump called KJU Rocket Man for the first time I spat out my water and said "...S-Slothrop??? Are you in there?"

The arc starts with Against the Day and contains gravity's rainbow

Scratch that, it starts with M&D. They all have recurring bloodlines, like the Traverses, and the Bodines...

WTF!

I'm sorry you're too brainlet to get the point of the book. Read it again and remember that Pynchon is smarter than you and always will be.

And he was never an anarchist.

I defend it without loving or liking it

What's the point tho

>a bomb throwing anarchist
Wait do people still think Pynchon is the Unabomber

Ted Kaczynski is a patsy. Pynchon is the true puppetmaster

wtf

>And then there is the best living American novelist, if he is a novelist, after all, Thomas Pynchon, the author of one great short novel, ‘The Crying of Lot 49,’ the marvellous ‘Gravity’s Rainbow,’ which is more remarkable as a series of interspersed stories like Byron the Lightbulb than it as a whole, and ‘Mason & Dixon,’ which I was very moved by. But his work subsequent to that has not been very good.

Shut your mouth, Inherent vice and V were really good.

>great short novel, ‘The Crying of Lot 49
>Gravity’s Rainbow,’ which is more remarkable as a series of interspersed stories than it is as a whole
Pretty shit opinions

He's too pure for this world.

Islam truly is everywhere.
I will convert now. This pic had enought arguments for me.

Inherent Vice was a lot of fun

Whats he say about Against the Day?

Pleb

Your tears are delicious.

> Harold Bloom, in a 1991 interview with Antonio Weiss, described Vineland as a “total disaster,” in fact the greatest “disaster in modern American fiction,” a “piece of sheer ineptitude,” a “hopelessly hollow book” that has “not got in it a redeeming sentence, hardly a redeeming phrase,” and contrasted it specifically with the power of his previous work.

Nobody cares about Harold BoomBoom

WTF!

bleeding edge just goes to show nostalgia alone is not enough to make a book, going "oh yeah, i remember that!" every other page is not a substitute for good writing

>yfw it's the most monumental of coincidences that Pynchon happened to include Mossad spies in his 9/11 novel when Mossad spies were really arrested in NYC on 9/11 for suspicious behavior

We share the same taste in laptops
The Barbara Cartland of book reviews

Middle-brow plebs can't stand it when a novelist tries something different.

tries something different? it's just a pulpy nostalgia trip like inherent vice but in the 2000s instead of the 60s

No, it's really not. Seems you didn't understand the book if you think it's a nostalgia trip.

wtf does that tee even mean

he's The Expert