Who here is writing?

What are you writing about? What are some of the problems that you're having? do you have any tips or tricks that you use? I want to hear about what you guys are doing.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/Gkdp3dB
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am writing a novel centred around the theme of disappointment. I have high hopes for it.

I work and have four kids. I have a story I want to tell but I have a hard time finding time to actually sit down and write.

I have been writing some screenplays, but in a foggy mind while waking up I recently come to the idea to maybe write some short stories because I can actually make some money by getting them published in a magazine.

I'm thinking of maybe transforming some of my film ideas to actual short stories now.

I am writing a novel on the concept of the importance, yet degeneration, of the identity of the white working class in the Midwest.

People have said my work is boring or stupid which, like it or not, really discourages me from continuing. I like what I write and some of my friends who write like it too so it's not all hopeless.

I'm writing a mystery novel with multiple protagonists with romantic elements. Progress is slow since I like to use a lot of linguistic devices (Bely and his word fetish rubbed off on me) but hopefully I will make it.

See The best tip and trick is to put time aside to write, somewhere with few distractions, and just do it.

That honestly sounds like it could make a funny premise. Something which entirely follows the story of how you wrote the book the reader is reading, packed with dry humor and sarcasm. Someone needs to try it.

That sounds pretty tough. I've got a fair bit of free time and I've only been writing sporadically. I kinda feel like I've been squandering my precious time now.

Maybe put some of your stories up on this board sometime? It could use something other than smarter than thou arguments over dry philosophy books.

I write late in the night and, once I finish, I'm happy with my result. The morning after I just feel insecure and throw what I've written away.

I’m writing an analysis on the metamorphosis by Franz but I’m unsure if I should put a plot overview as it’s free online and I’m going to upload a video essay on YouTube ( trying to make a channel)

Sounds good. Not been enough attention directed there lately methinks.

I've had some of the same. I find that I tend to write for myself. If other people like it then that's great, but not necessary.

It's like I'm looking in the mirror. Keep it, maybe one day people will teach about it in schools at the epitome of writing. Get some second opinions.

If even one or two people liked my work when it was finished, I would be legitimately satisfied

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll have to take a look at it if it's free online. Maybe it will be interesting. Good luck!

duh

I frame it under cultural horror. Something you'd be akin with if you like It Follows.

I've been thinking about setting up some sort of server for people who write. Somewhere where you an anonymously put up your work and get critique and help.

Ooo, how far have you gotten?

I'm working on a short story about 2 French travelers in unspecified North Africa (but Morocco is heavily implied), my writing process is all over the place. I come up with sentences and paragraphs that belong in the beginning middle and end but I'm stuck between notes, I'm hesitant to put together a final draft. I'm attempting to put in themes of cultural degredation and resilience, exoticism, and neoliberal colonialism. But I'm not sure if it will succeed.

You need to understand that "white" isn't a good start for identity to form, I'm assumingyou know this, but just for info, working-class, Midwest and American (with different culture in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa etc. is better) In fact "white" is a degredation of identity, from stronger European concepts.

Hence our Savior El Donaldo.

That sounds interesting, would you make it so that it remains unpublished. I know a lot of magazines and such don't want material that has been "published" online.

Would it really count as being published? Maybe posts disappear after a time or are not archived. That could maybe circumvent the re-publication problem.

Well I was thinking something small and interpersonal. Like a discord server or something using google docs. Somewhere where you can link to an online document which the writer can open and close at will.

Yeah it depends on the magazine, some don't like material that's been posted online, if you could circumvent that it would be great.

That sounds pretty good

Not my pride, but I'm still under the first chapter. I'm in the same situation as . I work a lot (consulting) and my spare time is spent on reading the midwest and horror in general as I'm not from the region (I'm not even American).

yet you're on Veeky Forums. whiny cunt

really? nobody reads magazines anymore, right? how do you actually get paid with this shit? i thought we were all just doomed to be poorfags

Are you the Frenchman, I think I've seen your posts before

Maybe having people to help with editing could take some load off?

Enjoy free time while you can.

I'm a horror fan from the midwest, I'd love to be able to read something set here.

I can do whatever I want while waiting for the forklift to drop off the next bin of parts you soft-handed limpdick.

I guess if you want to do short episodic things online webfiction is the way to go. Lots of people making a killing there nowadays.

Don't worry about the concept of identity. It's a complex thing. I'm just doing so for the sake of brevity.

look this up on warosu S10519753#p10520758

Discord could work

I'm setting one up right now, experimentally. Anybody got ideas for any names?

litcord

shitcord

Tentatively going with Veeky Forumscord on this one. subject to change.

discord.gg/Gkdp3dB

So, early setup stages. Chances are it will be shit and a little broken for a while, but it is an experiment. Join if you feel like it, don'd if you don't.

I'm writing a religious book partly in aphorisms and two smaller sections about revelations that have occured in my life and some apologetics. The difficulty that I find is that I feel as though My writing is becoming redundant. It probably isn't as bad as I think, but I ought to be more creative in my writing. That problem lies in writing the aphoristic pieces.

you are a man of poor ideas
that is exactly the sort of book that does not need to be written

I wrote a small part of a book using quite a few of my own experiences as material. It ended up being pretty bad but it was a great way to look at myself and see aspects of me that I had never considered before. I'm thinking about going back to the book one day. It might be good if I can get the execution right.

I admit, it looks like it would likely be a pile of steaming shit. If it was short and you got someone extremely talented to do it it could be interesting. You never know unless you try, even though abject failure is the most likely result.

I wrote a love poem, but English isn't my native language and I'm scared that it might be shit.

Poems are one of those things which are really subjective. It may be shit to some, and maybe not for others. Let other people read it and tell you what they think, because the best way to grow is through practice and error.

Aw, that's wonderful! I found it very important to write mine as well.

hahahahaha love you too nigger

"lots of people"
I have a hard time believing this

I concede that may be a bit of an exaggeration. I'll rephrase to, there are people making a killing. I've browsed through a few times and found some genuinely good stuff, and quite a bit of congealed bad. It seems to me like you could make a quick buck or two either by luck or through clever marketing though.

I just write whatever, it's just a game. The play of my imagination on the instrument of language is enjoyable, that's it. I don't care about my characters or being relatable.

do you always sound like such a faggot or are you trying really hard?

What makes you so interested about the Midwest?

>What are you writing about?

Land wars style confrontations on colonised Trappist. Basically a man comes into land on Trappist from some form of inheritance, he develops a relationship and noblesse oblige kind of bond with the tenants living on the land whilst attempting to avoid the attacks of both agrarian agitators and various corporate powers.

>What are some of the problems that you're having?

Method of travel to the place. I really like a lot of the imagery and things surrounding trappist but a method of FTL travel is hard to write-up. But I am writing in first person so the character is hardly expected to know how it works.

I submitted the first three chapters of a fucked up gothic story to agents, not expecting to hear back even though it was my equivalent of selling out. One got back to me and said it was impressive, but relentlessly depressing. He requested a private detective character and a more redemptive ending, so that's what I'm doing. Originally I wasn't going to heed his advice because it was a rejection of my work, but I got in touch with a mutual friend/bestselling author who told me I'd better fucking listen to him and do the work if I wanted a shot.

So that's what I'm doing. It's more of a crime thriller now, so more chance of selling. I don't want to go to a fucking office five days a week, I want to write and be there throughout my daughter's childhood.

nice one larper

Writing about someone who is engulfed by his self-consciousness, due to verbal abuse from his domineering father he received as a child. He becomes a recluse, loses all his friend, and eventually kills himself.

I like the Alcubierre style FTL. If you drop the name a significant portion of your readers will probably already know some of the basics of it, which takes a load off you. You can give a Layman's explanation as 'Warp and stretching space or something' if the character isn't supposed to know much about it. Maybe try to capture the essence of plane travel in your work, a sort of constant feeling of being just off, or setting your teeth on edge. I saw one author describe it with a constant low ache in your bones. Little bits of flavor like that really adds to the immersion of it.

I don't think anybody is going to read that, friend.

I have no frien

Started writing a novel for the first time, a mishmash of horror and noir pulp.

Inception meets Shutter Island written by Steven King. Write 90 minutes a day, every day, and be serious about it. Compile notes for 1 month, structure main plot, and let her rip. Eliminate all distractions (phone, web, etc.). The story evolves over time and the plotting is used as a fallback, not as a roadmap.

This one consists of writing multiple stories individually, then weaving them together in the rewrite.

Adopt the discipline that most deny.

I want to master the short story genre. Anyone knows about resources for that? Like a book with tips or how to structure such stories.

I've been writing a lot of poetry as of late. I've always had a thing for writing, but poetry's been my main outlet for close to a year now

Around 40 verses every few days. I plan on releasing a chapbook by the end of the year, should it feel adequate enough

My largest problem is with criticism. I seldom show my work to anyone, nor do I feel comfortable enough to post it anywhere online for it to be critiqued. I fear I will one day wake up to realize my work is dreadful, my ideas sordid, and my style cacophonous
On the other side of the coin, I don't trust people to genuinely take the time and read my work, carefully think about it, and give me constructive criticism. I'm paranoid and deeply mistrusting of people, so I can't help but feel like they would bring me down so as to lift their own ego
I do show my work to a select few people, and despite their positive feedback I don't quite trust it either. Something to do with not making me feel bad over what may potentially be mediocre angst

I'm writing niche erotica to see if I can get it to sell on Kindle.

I don't think you want more details than that.

I'm only thinking about that new years commitment I made to write that I haven't actually started yet.