Atheism is simply a lack of belief

>atheism is simply a lack of belief

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristianization_of_France_during_the_French_Revolution
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i only started visiting Veeky Forums the other day, but why are there so many threads on religion?

Believing in God lmao might as well believe in Santa and the chupacabra

isnt that agnosticallysticism

I don't actually get how people on this board unironically believe in god and afterlife.

Atheism requires more faith in it than any other religion
Because it’s the hardest thing to comprehend

>God is a magical bearded man in the sky

the absolute state of atheists

They don't, no true religious person would ever use the internet.

Because the only thing Veeky Forums likes more than discussing literature is not discussing literature

>Atheism requires more faith in it than any other religion

>His beliefs follow the ebb and flow of opinion on the internet
EVERYONE LEAVE THIS THREAD AND PICK UP A BOOK NOW
FUCK OFF

take that back

>I believe the universe was not created by a God.

There you go, atheism is a belief.

That's strong atheism. Weak atheism is the absence of belief.

>I choose to take absolutely no stance or even attempt to consider how the universe came into being
Even worse

Isn’t that just agnostic though? To be atheist you have to believe that there is no higher power at all

> weak atheism is the absence of belief
There is no such thing as an absence of belief, or non-belief. You either believe something or you believe something else.

>I choose to not pretend to know things I don't know
Truly despicable.

Why are religiousfags always so butthurt about atheism?

What religions preclude the use of technology?

They don't. However 99% of people who follow religions clearly don't fully believe in them, and the 1% that do would never use a computer

I THOUGHT I SAID FUCK OFF

haha btfo!

i follow islam though so we're cool

>if I can't know something with 100% I won't even think about it
>Even if there is strong evidence pointing towards it
>I am truly the summit of philosophical thought
Truly brilliant

this
and
this

wow you are SO ironic!
Please tell me how i can be as cool as you! KEK KEK KEK!

Muslims are unironically better than atheists

I don't know about the beard, but according to the world's most popular desert myths he is indeed a magical man in the sky.

t. muslim

hello, my fellow /r/rickandmorty user

It's true though. No amount of 2deep philosophy can change the fact that your religion comes from desert people who worshiped a magical man in the sky. Or sometimes in a box.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU

You underestimate my power

LOOK AT ALL THIS LITERATURE
EMBRACE THIS DISCOURSE ON LITERATURE
>Veeky Forums - literature

I have the high ground! whatever the fuck that means

>the christian god is real as described bible, completely humanoid also white
That's stupid.
>what you don't believe in ANY higher power or intelligence
I do
>so yeah, god is some white dude you makes a tic mark for each of your jacks
Christian goalpost hokey pokey.

DON'T TRY IT

All of western civilization comes from desert people who believed in weird shit. By your logic, is all of western civilization also a hoax?

b8

We also consider ourselves to have progressed well beyond our predecessors except when it comes to the divinely inspired magical sky man writings that are still just as valid as the day they were written.

They don't. They only pretend to as a form of protest against modernity.

Nice trips, but just because we have fancy phones with flashy lights doesn't mean anything. We are still those dumb tribespeople trying to figure shit out. At the very core, there is very little diference between a person living in 2018 New York City and and a person living in 10,000 BC Babylon.

This. It’s a nice way of tidying up their belief system, they see divine command theory as a ‘get out of jail free card’ in any debates about morality, and they like the aesthetics of churches and Christian art (which they think can only be appreciated if you yourself are a Christian). I bet most of them deep down feel they’re kidding themselves, but they like to think that they are modern monks and sages so the charade will continue for a while longer.

No one says that. They say it's a lack of belief in God or gods, which it is.

isn't there a third option of not knowing either way? i.e. I don't believe there is a God, but I also don't believe there isn't a God either

the chupacabra is real though..

yeah I hate when those athiests bomb buildings and behead people, good thing we're importing peaceful muslims who respect our christian beliefs

It's out of an aversion to the atheism trend in Reddit. They're basically Christian fedoralords and Veeky Forums is swarming with them.

Godtards disguising their self-doubt with chauvinistic bluster.

>inb4 pic of someone in a hat

t. reddit

HAHAHAHAAHAHAA THE DUCC WEARS A FEDORA ATHEISM REKT HAHAHAHA

triggered

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form, because if you post annonymously [sic] by default but choose to gain a sense of identity in your posting, it most likely means that you are an attention grubbing whore who has their heart on being a board celebrity rather than actually contributing anything worthwhile. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my best to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

How does believing in hoax make one a hoax? Retarded comparison, kill yourself brainlet

These. 99% of Christians on this board can be safely disregarded, they are worthless poseurs.

There is an absence of belief when we're talking about a psychological state. A newborn that doesn't even have a concept of God can't have the psychological state of belief in God.
But this is of course irrelevent when debating the actual ontological claim of God, and not the descriptive claims of anyone having a belief in the existence of God.
Nobody gives a flying fuck whether a certain fedora-tipper has a psychological state of belief or not, because what we're discussing is not his psychological state but his relation towards the ontological claim of the existence of God. There you can either believe that it's true/probably true or believe that it's false/probably false. Not having an opinion is agnosticism, not atheism.
By bringing up "le lack of belief" and "le burden of proof" one is merely changing the subject: from the discussion of the ontological claims of God to the discussion of their personal psychological state

fedoras btfo

>btfo
Stop

t. reddit

what the fuck does your pic even mean sbrofl

>We are still those dumb tribespeople trying to figure shit out. At the very core, there is very little diference between a person living in 2018 New York City and and a person living in 10,000 BC Babylon.
If you said 1,000 BC Babylon I might agree with you, but there are major psychological differences between civilized people and non-civilized people.

The current state of skeptics

From the Christian perspective, Muslims are better than atheists because at least they believe in God and recognize Jesus as a prophet

In the 20th century alone, atheists slaughtered much more Christians than Islamists ever did.

Atheists dindu nuffin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristianization_of_France_during_the_French_Revolution

Everyone in the skeptic community minus Chris ray gun needs to be executed

>magic man in the sky
who is also the
>ground of all being

who else is there to look?

Whats the point of atheism if it doesn't allow you to have an ideal of a perfect being?

>an ideal of a perfect being?
pssst its your mum, but if your dad finds out he might kill you

The freedom you get not having a holy text that would lay out rules to follow

Not my mom
Who says you need to believe a Holy text and follow their rules to have your own ideals of a God?

>follow these rules or you go to hell
>oh all those people who lived before this moment? all in hell
>the ones who had no chance to know about christianity before their death? also hell

Wrong. Stop being a plebbitor

Most say it is a lack of belief. Atheists still worship false gods.

>people think you need an old religion to have a faith in God

L oh L

Yeah, there's OP.

DAE ONLY WORSHIP LE WHITE GODS!?1?1?1?1?! FUCK LE DESSERT KEK NIG NOG GODS PRAISE ODIN

Nice straw man, but yeah, meant to say 1,000 BC Babylon.

>2018
>not being a Spinozian pantheist
Explain yourselves.

I hear this bashing of atheism all the fucking time here, but I havn't heard a single good argument for religion yet, the only thing you fucks do is post a fedora.jpg and act like you won the argument.

I'm genuinly interested, please tell me.

Stop being an ignorant retard, please. You have no clue what you're talking about. Please wubba dubba kys
>progress
No such thing exists. Please kys

If that was what Christians actually believed you might have a point.

Have you read any theist philosophers?

I dont know.. there is something about religion that can make a person happier and motivated. I'm having doubts about the god aspect, but ever since i read The Conference of the Birds i feel something different, closer to belief.

Civilization doesn't exist, retard.
Oh look, somebody hasn't read scripture. Suicide is a choice.
MUH ARGUMENTS *TIPS FEDORA LIKE LE SIR*
Your mindset is irrecoverable. End it.

If you have a deep understanding of philosophy and logic, you will see that having a God idea allows you to aim for their perfection.

I get the whole "if it makes you a better person it doesn't matter if it's true" and "sometimes it's about the culture and not the faith" but that still doesn't counts as proof.
Are we seriously just supposed to see everything as metaphorically and not question it?
I can't get myself to believe, how the fuck do you do that? I even taken shrooms and got nothing spiritual out of it.

Have you tried actually studying the arguments for Gods existence or is your only exposure to them from other atheists?

I'm not a pragmatist you fucking moron. Just end it all now.
Go shove your fedora eight yards up your ass.

I was raised in a relatively strict religious household..

Great argument.

Then you are merely rebellious user, congrats keep up the good fight

*tips*

That's not answer to my very simple question. You can be the most strictly religious person in the world and still never touch the philosophical justifications for a belief in God. You say you're genuinely interested in learning why people believe but you sure as shit don't act like it.

Wow really sophisticated and well informed answer there, keep it up my fellow intellectual.

>"you are either ignorant or pretending, otherwise you would agree with me"
*tips cross*

Because the majority of religious people are it because their parents were it and their parents before were it.
Religion doesn't really go together with society today because information travels a lot faster than it did 1000 years ago.

What I'm saying is that I still have a lot of disciplines and live after certain virtues from my childhood.
But wholeheartedly believe in a entity? I cannot simply do that.

>expects his faith to be changed by others
>argued and dismisses their opinions
>woe is me woe is me