Got a Bolaño urge, have read Savage Detectives in the past...

Got a Bolaño urge, have read Savage Detectives in the past, but don't have the time right now to invest in a doorstopper like 2666. What should I read?

>but don't have the time right now to invest in a doorstopper like 2666

Yes you do. Stop being a pleb and read 2666.

By Night In Chile.

Last Evenings On Earth, Nazi Literature in the Americas, The Return, Amulet (carries off from SD)

Why is smoking so cool?

Why has it always been cool?

It's not cool in itself. It just used to be a thing many people did and the cool ones who did it in a cool way just stick out in our memories.

I feel like it is cool in itself desu. I feel cooler when I smoke and cute girls agree.

Distant Star

Such underrated.

this is wrong and a cope
you do look cooler but smoking a joint if handsome with goood orbitals, jaw and hair is equally as cool no matter how degenerate /pol/ and fratboys think it is

Agree with this.

Last Evenings on Earth

You might just be cool yourself. Congratulations. However I can think of many people who don't look cool at all smoking, like my fat disgusting aunt, or my balding autist coworker. It's all about the person.

Amulet has a connection with TSD.
By The Night in Chile is his best short work
Distant Star is p good too

I think it may have to do with signalling recklessness that attracts a certain dysfunctional type if you add some other cliché signals to it.

I also think that smoking joints is now actually less edgy than cigarettes because it's just a plaaant medicine maaaaan.

Read Distant Star, it's about the right size and one Bolaño's best.

what are orbitals?

I've always wondered how English speakers pronounce 2666, in Spanish we call it "dos mil seiscientos sesenta y seis" (two-thousand six-hundred and sixty-six), but IMO it flows better in Spanish, and it sounds epic and imposing as a title. Do you call it by its full title or "twenty-six sixty-six" or "two six six six"?

I've never actually talked about it but in my head it's "two six six six"

Duemilaseicentosessantasei

"Tjusexsextisex"

I call it dois meia meia meia

English
Italian
Latin?
Portuguse

Twenty six sixty six

>Latin?
Swedish

Just started 2666.
>dude rambling LMAO

Zesentwintighonderdzesenzestig.

Finished that last week. Was good.

Two Thousand Six Hundred Sixty Six.

well, B wasn't forthcoming as to what the number referenced. If it was just a numeral, it should be written as 2,666--"two-thousand, six-hundred sixty-six" (or "six-hundred and sixty-six".) But he didn't write it with a comma, so that implies we are to say it like a year or a street address. With the years 1984 and 2018, we say "nineteen eighty-four" and "twenty eighteen," so we would therefore say "twenty-six sixty-six." A street address, a post code for a place with only 4 digits, a telephone extension, etc could be correctly voiced the same way, or as "two six six six."
Wiki makes a case that he probably meant it as a date, but if B had bothered to clue us in, we could say definitively. But that was probably his point. Surely, if he wanted us to know, he would have made it explicit. So, one assumes he doesn't care or actively wants there to be ambiguity in the voicing.

I’m reading The Insufferable Gaucho right now. It’s making me feel pretty dumb, but in a kind of fun way. I want to learn about all the shit he’s referencing and revisit the stories.

It's referenced in some of his other works as being a year in the future, years in Spanish are always pronounced by their full name, unlike in English where you can split the name in two (e.g. 2017: twenty seventeen), but that's a language thing.

I meant split the number in two*

two years from now his deadbeat wife and son will find the lost manuscript for the two remaining unpublished parts and it will explain it all.

top kek

A little lumpen novelita

this
man, underrated post. Distant Star is a pretty nice comfy book, sometimes i like it more than Savage Detectives.

Zweitausendsechshundertsechsundsechzig

kakstuhattakuussataakuuskytkuus