I'm on page 60 of Crime and Punishment. Why is this trash considered good...

I'm on page 60 of Crime and Punishment. Why is this trash considered good? Some melodramatic Slavic soul wrote a pretentious "im soo smart" slow book that is more boring than watching paint dry.

Is pussy worth reading this crap? I feel it is like the king dress made a book

keep reading, your current impression is wrong but you’ll find out why eventually

>confusing the main character with the author
>judging a novel after 60 pages

Read on

>I'm so smart
Except that's basically the opposite of the book's point you mega retard.

i don't even read and i enjoyed this book, fucking dostoievsky man

Okay I am giving this overhyped shit 60 more pages to get good or it will go into the trash.

read until 300 pages or so if u dont like it drop it
imo thats where it really gets great

ive unlocked the secret to crime and punishment. he's making fun of overly emotional slavs. the whole fucking thing is a comedy.

it gets god mode after page 80~ depending on the edition anyway

Raskolnikov's hungered, deranged, self-loathing mental state and the lead-up to the murder is thrilling af.. kys

I found it extremely fucking boring as well. He sprinkles in just enough half assed high minded topics to make the pseuds worship him

If you think this book is boring then this whole reading thing just isn't for you

Absolutely this

This

Stop calling Dostoevsky melodramatic. The killing scene is underwritten if anything. You are a little stain compared to Dostoevsky.

I almost dropped it during his mother's 20+ page letter
>his sister was called a slut
>everyone thinks shes a thot
>some old man has the hots for her
>says he's sorry
>sister decides to get engaged for money
>no longer a slut

Thats it.

Read Death Note instead. It's C&P with all the priorities reversed and the protagonist is an actual superman instead of a pretentious puss.

I really hope that you are under the age of 17. Otherwise, you’re not gonna make it

>is pussy worth
kys, listen just because we get pussy for being pseuds doesn't mean all of us read for pussy you fucking faggot

>Nietzsche
>pseud
What an aspie you are.

>superman
>gets defeated by a 13 year old autist

>vacuous surface-level reading
>completely misses one of the more tragic themes of the novel
>doesn't even think why Dosto would have this from a perspective of R's mother
>you're probably being completely sincere

every time i see someone venturing their absolutely shit-tier readings of something i'm reminded of how little stock i should put in Veeky Forums's taste.

>13 year old autist
Super autist who coasted on the efforts of others, including two super autists.

just drop it, it's wasted on you

>i'm reminded of how little stock i should put in Veeky Forums's taste.
Yeah, stuff like this and the age threads remind me to be wary amoung anonymous posts and opinions

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm sorry it did not speak to you the way it has many others.
Perhaps in time, or on a successive reading, you will open your heart to it.

Hey,
I just finished The inulted and humilated.
Any thoughts about this book? i think it is one of the best I have read in my life.

>>completely misses one of the more tragic themes of the novel
>>doesn't even think why Dosto would have this from a perspective of R's mother
Elaborate.

That is just the way Dosto writes characters. It might seem stupid but there is a reason to it

>pleb skims classic, hilariously/horribly misinterprets it
>emperor's new clothes amirite?
Like clockwork.

What are we gonna do when basic income makes the whole population just as indifferent to poverty and hunger?

That's what you got from the letter?

That's what I got from Safe and easy life might make people too dumb to understand the position of Raskolnikov's family in the province, and his own commitments.

You'll never understand anything with this attitude

I'm sorry OP that you aren't enjoying Crime & Punishment as much as I did - I fucking loved it. I'd say if the first 60 pages haven't captivated you, you're very unlikely going to warm to its pacing, tension and tone later on.

What other Dostoevsky novels have you read so far? I found myself having a false start with C&P when I was younger but I read The Double, Notes From Underground and The Meek One which I felt warmed me up a little more to Dostoevsky. If you've read Dostoevsky before and you still don't like Crime & Punishment, all I can say is move on to another book, user. Don't push yourself to read something that isn't a pleasure for you.

go back to /v/-/tv/-/mu/

You have to keep reading it starts to get good on the last page

hijacking this thread, best C&P translation?

think I read the revised Garnett a while ago, thought some of the phrasing was fairly awkward

Trips of Truth

I'm reading the p&v translation and it's good, not awkward at all, very readable. I read like 40 pages of the garnett version and found it a little clumsy.

The dream he has with the little donkey made me tear up. I rarely cry, but that was too much, man... I could feel its pain.

This book would be a emperor's new clothes thing if critics all praised it like crazy. Actually, this book has always been praised more by the population than anything. Critics generally found it to be good be good but not in league with what they considered "high art", so it"s actually quite the opposite of what you think.

I personally loved how well Dosto finds the faults, I just disagree fundamentally with his solutions. I feel like anything involving spirituality or faith is just a lazy, half-assed blind shot. You should be able to appreciate the book for its criticism of nihilism et al though.

P&V are kinda bad, they make Dosto sound so American I wanted to puke reading it. Go either with Oliver Ready (Penguin; a bit British, but more fitting than P&V with their dumbing-down americanisms, and overall better), Jessie Coulson (Oxford; good stylist), or Pasternak Slater which I did not read, but heard good things about. Just stay away from P&V who are brainlet-tier.

thanks user, I'll check that out