Harold Bloom[6] praised Blood Meridian as one of the best 20th century American novels...

>Harold Bloom[6] praised Blood Meridian as one of the best 20th century American novels, describing it as "worthy of Herman Melville's Moby-Dick,"[7] but admitted that he found the book's pervasive violence so shocking that he had several false starts before reading the book entirely. Caryn James argued that the novel's violence was a "slap in the face" to modern readers cut off from the brutality of life
Seriously? I thought the book was beautiful and calming; the stars rolling over the edge of the earth, the vast expanse of desert, solitary hawks and vultures, blue mountains on the horizon, shows of camaraderie (albeit limited) and hospitality. Such a picturesque novel, plenty of comedic relief too mainly during the parlays with the mexicans/injinns.
Very cozy all in all.

>tree of dead babbies

so comfy bro

do you know how to actually read or did you just skim?

This is a truly advanced reading.

I read the entire book at a rate of 11 pages an hour.
I remember most of the scalpings, all they were doing was just claiming receipts, those of their group that were skinned and strung up in trees was unfortunate but they knew the risks. All in all it was cozy. The only times I felt unsettled was when most of the group were killed by the yumas (kept on thinking the nigger would be saved after the first arrow hit and glanton would leap up from his bed and deadeye all of the yumas) and when the judge ambushes the 45 year old kid in the jakes

it's really weird to think that there was an entire generation of pussies who never had to do hard physical labor, never went to war, and never had the opportunity to see gore online.

If you really reflect on the reality of the horrific scenes, it's hard for it not to hit you. The scenery can be beautiful but the scale I don't think is supposed to be cozy.

maybe if your a faggot. when they scalp the party from the town that was paying them a bounty for each head? hilarious.

Some people have trouble understanding that the violence is the aesthetic.

This.

I've never been bothered by any amount of violence in any book, ever. I just don't understand how some people are having to put the book down.

who here hasn't seen three guys one hammer?
violence in literature is nothing, this didn't even cross my mind when reading

C'mon, dude, if you didn't pick up on any underlying tensions during the descriptions of the landscapes I think you need to re-read it.

Also I can appreciate that the violence would be off-putting. Cormac is very vivid in his descriptions of actions that are immensely ugly to even imagine.

Why do people care what Harold Bloom thinks? People won't know who the fuck he was in 200 years' time.

why should I care what you think, no one knows who the fuck you are faggot

nice trip dubs though

>Sheep cope

I read the Italian translation of Blood Meridian.
Here there is no description whatsoever of what happened in the stall.
Is there anything about the fate of The Man in the original version?

I have never seen it and I never will, because there is a fundamental difference between fictional and real violence

Keked

nope

I honestly have to wonder why and how you'd translate something like this. Hats off to the translator if he or she actually pulled it off.

No, my personal thought is that the Judge consumed him, body and soul, and dances to celebrate the resulting extension of his own life, which he will repeat forever.

It isn't that much worse than The Iliad.