Is the Constance Garnett translation of Anna Karenina any good?

Is the Constance Garnett translation of Anna Karenina any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Anna-Karenina-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199536066
xixvek.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/mclean-which-english-anna.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

theres better

no. no english translations of Tolstoy are good. I'm sorry but if you want to really read him you are going to have to learn Russian

>extremely unpopular opinion time
I find Garnett more pleasant to read than P&V

Mind explaining why? I've read multiple translators of Tolstoy and found them all to be great reads.

Absolutely not. That translation raped my mother to death, only to turn its angry sexual rage on me. I was only a child; now I am a fiend.

that's the prevailing opinion on this board.
P&V shills are overwhelmingly ribbit tourists

>wasting your time learning Russian
sure sign of a pleb

>TFW ROSEMARY EDMONDS

Tell me about Tolstoy.

He was once a Christian.

he died a Christian TF

I'm the one who asked the question and while im still ignorant of most of this mans life, judging by his list of works, I'm pretty sure he never ceased being Christian.

garnett shills are baffling. look OP, the truth is that any of the major translations other than garnett are better.

It's fine, but most modern translations are more accurate and arguably more readable. What is more important than any individual translation is that you read Tolstoy, who will come through any competent translator, more or less.

I prefer the Maudes' translation (same with War and Peace, but I haven't yet read Mandelker's update):
amazon.com/Anna-Karenina-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199536066

Yes it is good. But really, the best thing to do is read a different translation each time you reread a book, that way you can account for some of the blind spots that may be in one particular translation.

He became more religious as he got older.

xixvek.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/mclean-which-english-anna.pdf

P&V is best, Bartlett is almost as good

>not knowing at least one slavic language to get a proper feel for russian literature

Based on what?