What's the most obscure book that you consider to be a 9/10 or better?

What's the most obscure book that you consider to be a 9/10 or better?

This is the I Ching, no interpretation or dissection or anything remotely textbook. For each line of the hexagrams, there's a short translation of the Chinese, followed by quotations from world lit. and philosophy. [From Epictetus to Thomas Wolfe, A.A. Milne to Plato, Carolingian scholars to Tachibana Akemi.] An incredible labor of love by a brilliant biochemist, the mystery I can imagine Chinese people feel about the Oracle comes across so effortlessly to well-read people. It has what Iris Murdoch calls the combination of "intuited unity and random detail."

Speedboat by Renata Adler.

Which isn't even that obscure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What did this book give you?

The hearing trumpet, by Leonora Carrington

>I, Ching
>I, Spartacus
>I, everyone
I'm so sick if these formulaic titles.

It's not a proper noun, moron. Notice there's no comma there? It's not a noun at all. Do you even ching, bro? Last time I chong in public I got a bunch of weird looks from people who I bet have never chung in their life.

9/10 bait

what's this about?

Ufo in der Küche

An absurdist science fiction story about the author being abducted by aliens, then being dumped on an "empty" planet full of strange goo, then being transported back to earth only to find out that he had been away for several decades, yet the aliens had created an exact copy of him who has been living his life rather successfully, and a bunch of other stuff, including the main character finding out that he, due to exposure to the strange goo, can no longer age or die, but is in fact slowly "dissolving".

It's also written in compliance with fictitious grammar and spelling rules, because the author had previously written a book about the future development of the German language, so he used "future rules" for the future parts of the book.

Interesting. I might read this sometime.

Late Fame by Arthur Schnitzler. If you like The Savage Detectives I would def recommend reading it

I liked Pitch Dark even more.

If you want an obscure book thats somewhat similar to Speedboat try "The City and the Mountains" by Eca De Queiros

speedboat is great but it’s hardly obscure. every hipster grill in nyc has read it

I wish I knew even one other person that had read anything even resembling Speedboat.

Fuck the midwest

Homeboy by Seth Morgan

ANYTHING BY EVAN DARA

This was book was surprisingly awesome. Not really obscure, though I didn't know it was book for the longest time.

Great novel, and I never hear anyone talk about it.

that was the first I read of his, and it really turned me off to reading any more of his stuff. I do have Atrocity Exhibition in the queue so I am giving it another shot.

I'm a big fan of Ballard's writing, so I'm biased in some right. I can understand why his writing ia not for everyone though. But this and Crash are some of my favorite novels. What did you not like about Concrete Island?

the funny thing was I was in a bookstore and I was looking for Crash but they didn't have it so I got Concrete Island instead. I wasn't quite sold on that really British feeling of isolation when you literally slip between the cracks of society and everyone kind of leaves you to your fate. Also, I thought it would be funnier

It was more odd than funny, but Crash is still definitely worth the read. Plus I remember getting the feeling half way through that Maitland, in Concrete Island, wanted to be on that island. The true question being, where was he actually stranded and desolate? The island or his life?