She picked franzen twice, even after he shit on her the first time...

she picked franzen twice, even after he shit on her the first time, yet she couldn't cast a little sunshine david foster wallace's way, even after he died? how can you recommend franzen and ignore wallace, that'd be like recommending wallace and ignoring delillo, or delillo and pynchon.

Oprah's a business woman, she probably has some deal worked out with a big published to shill him

Yeah but DFW wasn't sincere like Franzen is

DFW makes you mentally ill when you read him. Stop worshipping the guy.

yeah but Franzen is literally mentally ill

>not being mentally ill by default
Never gonna make it

is franzen any good?

lol

Isnt it obvious? Franzen is pleb enough for the Oprah book club crowd, Wallace isn't.

Cause franzen is chicklit material, and all those others aren't.

Top kek, keep believing that.

no haha at least he's not good enough to spent time reading him

do you know how many uses of 'nigger' there are in IJ

How many?

Very, IMO

OP You must understand, Franzen is ---BY FAR--- the easiest author to read. Most daytime television consumers read shitty romance/scifi/dystopian novels

Franzen reads "easier" than Wallace does.

Wow, user, you must be the first person I've ever seen on Veeky Forums who's saying that.
Why?

Just read The Corrections, hated it. I don't know what Franzen's dad did to him to make him resent him and his culture so much, but he clearly didn't do it hard enough to teach the little shit any respect.

i don't even think it was about his dad so much as it was hatred of the midwest. there isn't a single rebuttle to all the hate toward the midwest in that book, even the parents don't offer any soft of counter argument, they just do the 'gee i sure would hate to live in new york city cause i live in a small town and new york is so big!' bullshit.

she has to, he's one of the tribe

Franzen is a literal nobody who appeal to middle aged women in the same way DFW appeals to college freshmen. His prose is staid, insincere, and too deliberate to enjoy. It's like biting into a pastry to find the filling has been sucked out and that what you'd been looking forward to was only a hollow shell.

Read the Corrections. Read the Broom.
Which would you rather re-read, given a finite lifespan?
Neither.