Have you read some of /ourguy/'s works?

Have you read some of /ourguy/'s works?

If not, why not?

I liked Thirst For Love a lot, I don't know why it's so rarely discussed on the board. Proto-"depressed mental illness" girl book, but not in a bad way.

OP here, Thirst For Love is on my backlog, have you read Spring Snow?

I don't think it's discussed much here either

where to start with mishima?

Just read the Sea Of Fertility trilogy, then go on from there with other stuff

>/ourguy/
>he actually wrote things and didn't just sit around being depressed
Wrong.

I have a copy, but haven't been able to get around to it. I've been pretty close to his release order, even though that isn't typically what's recommended.

Nigga do you know how big my backlog is? I'm working on it.

I've read Confessions of a Mask, Death in Midsummer (short story collection) and a few plays of his. Will probably read Forbidden Colours next at some point in the future.
What do other anons think of his short stories? Apart from Yukoku, they tend to get overlooked in favour of his novels. Is the consensus that he was a more accomplished novelist than story-writer?

>finally get to the Sea of Fertility
>it's fucking Buddenbrooks with more suicide
nice

theres four books in that series
not a trilogy

I read confessions, golden pavilion and sailor. All three are pretty fucking great, but I'm taking a break on Mishima for now

The Seven Bridges from Death in Midsummer is one of my favorite short stories of all time. OF ALL TIME. that imagery just slaps

yeah fuck I meant tetralogy

I tried Face of Another and the writing was pretty difficult to digest. I much prefer Kenzabure Oe.

face of another is kobo abe mane
still good imo, nowhere near mishima tho

>/ourguy/
hey beast of the fields, companion of many and foe to the light hearted, fleet footed and silver tongued why don’t you commit seppuku like old fag boy Mishima instead of bothering my eyes with your ugly thoughts and lead bearing soul? begone

I agree, I liked that one a lot too.

I feel like Kobo Abe is more entertaining than Mishima overall.

Anyone here read the frolic of the beasts?

Holy shit the wiki for these sounds awesome.... I want it but what copy should I get? What store should I order from?

I live in burgerstan but I love those little pocket sized books I always see sold in Japan. They just feel different.

Yes. He's full of angst and whines a lot. I like his work but I'm not at all surprised that this man in my country he is nothing.

The prose in Japanese is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. I love it, and I'm wondering whether he'll take the spot from Kobo Abe's Woman in the Dunes as my favourite Japanese book.

real mishima not some pussy actress that OP posted

Read everything, he's quite prolific so I enjoy recommending different things to people based on their taste.

Has anyone here read his poetry? I'm not sure if it's all translated.

It's also super hard to read, are you a native?

OP pic is an actual photograph of mishima
Speaking of which, what are your favourite cinematic depictions of Mishima, Veeky Forums?
I'm aware of at least 3 films, though I haven't seen any of them:
>Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
>Beautiful Mystery
>11:25 The Day He Chose His Own Fate
There's also a few film adaptations of his work, though the only one I've seen is his own short movie version of Yukoku, which is beautiful.

It's not that hard. As long as you adjust to some of the old-fashioned words which aren't used much nowadays it's perfectly manageable.

I guess I'm thinking more on the poetry side, which was rough for me at least.

I read " The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea " and it was great. The passage where the kids kill the cat is full of painstakingly descriptions and is made of with a georgeous prose. It gives you a general sensation of repugnancy. The end was pretty disturbing too.

where is that pic from

A Life in Four Chapters

Read Sailor and Patriotism

Sailor surprised me with how much more apparent his admiration and fascination with western things was (esp. romantic/surrealist literature)... and how much tension and anxiety that must have given him as a Japanese nationalist.

Not really
Japan around his time would have been having only recently reformed society largely based on French and German models so it wouldn't have been too unusual at all. The parts of the west Japan hated around that time were the social influence and the way the west looked down racially on Asians, Japanese in particular.

Not read that in years and I can still remember the exact way he phrases the cat's slit open belly as being full of Rubys, beautiful death

Spring Snow was my first Mishima, and still probably my second favorite. It's a beautiful book.

I've read Ashita no Joe and I can see why he liked it so much