ITT: shit books Veeky Forums tricjed you into reading

This is self-explanatory.

house of leaves is very entertaining though. it's like literary creepypasta

Pynchon

Combined with a terrible side-story and postmodern masturbation it's literally what books should try NOT to be.

Stoner, The Nix, White Noise. Yeah, that's right, nerds. Fight me.

novels are inferior art form anyway. House of leaves is at least as good as Virginia woolf

there is literally nothing wrong with house of leaves
his other books though?
not so much

Dubliners

House of Leaves was a bad meme, I fell for it too user

(OP)

The Stranger, Zero K

Thanks for memeing this trash heap. What's worse is that my Veeky Forums friend irl already had a copy he let me borrow and now I think less of him as a person for not saying it was nothing other than a waste of 3 hours of one's life.

This, it's a book I'd recommend for "recreational reading". It's like a pop-up book for adults.
With that being said, does anyone have any recommendations for conventional novels that have a similar spooky feel? Preferably some respectable pomo. I personally found Auster's City of Glass and The Lost Scrapbook by Evan Dara to provide me with a similar mood while reading.

Ulysses
Gravity’s Rainbow
Infinite Jest

>he thinks the meme trilogy is bad

if nothing's wrong with house of leaves, i'm surprised you didn't enjoy his other books.

what should books "try" to be m8?

>respectable
>pomo
pick one.

you shut your whore mouth

C'mon, you can't be serious.

You haven't read a word of any of them

Pet Sematary. The only thing scary about it was enduring hundreds of pages of dull writing.

>literary creepypasta

I tried Ulysses but I honestly just got sick of it. I will admit that Joyce is clearly an enormously talented writer but his head sometimes went so far up his own arse in search of those naughty little farties that he was nearly unreadable for me at times.
I just got sick of Ulysses and went back to other writers who don't use nonsense words so much.

song >>> book

DUDE WHAT IF 3 WORDS IN ONE PAGE
I'M SUCH A GENIUS

>All those fucking pages of that retard rambling on about hookers and all that other bullshit.
What a fucking waste of time

WE, irredeemably shit

Literary this

>no one fights you because you are so blatantly wrong

I unironically think Lincol in the Bardo was one of the best books I've read in years.

The Nix was shite and way too long. When the security guard on roof POV came I wanted to off myself.

Meditations

Fucking this.

>what books should try NOT to be
>Mozart's works had too many notes
You're a retard

I tried reading House of Leaves because /x/ was pimping it so hard.

I quit trying to force myself to continue somewhere around the fifth glacial-plot-shifts-back-into-neutral-as-the-incoherent-jumble-of-bland-notes-is-interrupted-by-a-third-grader's-idea-of-a-Letter-to-Penthouse segment.

There are books I stopped reading because I meant to come back and never did. There are books I stopped reading because I just wasn't enjoying them. And then there are a very small number of books I thrown away in actual disgust. HoL is one of three books I've done that with.

nice hyphens m8. "glacial plot shifts" in a 600 page book where half the pages are 90% empty?

k.

every thread about this book is filled with them. but if they get a chance to say "gimmick" enough times, it allows them to feel a bit better about themselves.

Pretty much everything I've ever seen discussed or suggested on this board, that I then decided to read.

I was looking at this the other day in my local book store. I was thinking about picking it up but it was something like £25 and nah, son, nah....