Isn't nihilism the most simple yet obvious and "true" philosophy?

Isn't nihilism the most simple yet obvious and "true" philosophy?

>meaning is just our way to reason ourselves into remaining alive
>the universe has no sense of "why" or "meaning", it's just one big complicated system
>no one can escape death
>hence nothing has "meaning" or "counts" because those are mere ideas that the universe couldn't give less of a shit

inb4 "but we are part of the universe"
our sentient experience of the world is very limited in lenght while the greater universe doesn't stop existing
as long as the electrical reactions in our brain have a chance to stop someday, this excuse can't be used

i'm not saying I know it all, nihilism is one of the first philosophies everyone reaches
i'm asking, what is the point of looking farther or thinking more?

>i'm asking, what is the point of looking farther or thinking more?
Because nihilism is harmful to society and individuals alike
t. Nietsche

Because saying "there is no objective meaning to existence/universe" has limited usefulness.

You as an embodied creature act AS IF life has purpose and meaning, so it's better to start from there.

Is a perspective thing really. I used to struggle with nihilism, always trying to go further in the reach of meaning. If you go to the begining there is no meaning in that, you go to the end and thers no meaning in that. But in the middle there is a lot of things happening. Maybe love can't save you, maybe trying to save the world is ussles or trying to build a legacy is futile, but thats becouse you are looking at the very end of things. Of course in the end nothing matters. But is the way user, the way is the objective. You may do good or bad, that dosen't matters, what matters is that you try. Acepting the whole way is the first step to overcome nihilsm, stop looking at the very end, it always looks the same.

Sophisism or Hedonism are the simplest lifestyles to live by.

>what is the point of looking farther or thinking more?
fun

I don't give a shit about what the universe thinks about the matter, why is its opinion required?

The first step in overcoming nihilism is to plug your ears and ignore the futility you know in your heart to be true? I swear, this post did more to convince me of nihilism than any argument I've ever heard.

You cunts are grimming me out on my shitty sunday shift.

Nihilism's main points are probably correct, but too much of the philosophy is centered on being really sad about the fact that there is no objective meaning. I think it's great.

This.

But what is fun?

I been having a good life so far, lots of mistakes but funny and good ones. I usually think about this, in fact i think about this almost everyday. I have the idea that some day, when i feel comptent enought i will commit suecide and my work will be done in this world. So thats my philosphy, just give life a chance, do what a think it must be done and then leave with no regret, no fear. I will say yes, i will repite it again over and over. Life is boring without struggle.

>meaning is just our way to reason ourselves into remaining alive
It's always amazing that poor people never seem to encounter this problem.

OP is back

It absolutely is, especially if it's not distanced from emotions ("nothing matters" = "i'm sad about it :(" or "i'll just live in a debauched way :^) ")
But realistically, isn't it the only philosophy that's "true"? When you talk to the universe, imagination & religion aside, it doesn't talk back.

Doesn't it make the domain of philosophy nothing more than a big masquerade then?

Actually my problem isn't with the beginning or end but with the middle. If I do something that makes me feel good, it's fina and all, but everything we are slaves to - emotions, experience, society... - piles up to end in death anyway, with no real point since we're just fleshy specks of dust lost in time with barely any influence on each other if at all.

There was some farmer in the middle-ages who had a very intense life, lost his loved ones, lived & died with courage, all features that we personally find fulfilling & remarkable, and no one has ever heard of this guy. If our life doesn't affect people on a bigger scale because of our status in society, or if it doesn't even get writen down, nothing will remember that our consciousness existed at one point, and our life only matters to ourselves in that case, but even that becomes futile once it ends.

I'm not saying that because nothing matters we should ignore what our instincts & social customs tell us, we're not above the universe after all. But why do we bother to reach harder than we need to, if we have the answser right in front of us at all times?

Poor people generally don't have the comfort to just sit back and think about pointless questions though

if nihilism is false then then you are a dumb motherfucker for following it
if nihilism is true you don't matter and your choice doesn't matter

only one choice has the potential to matter

Pascal's Wager? In MY nihilism?

It's more likely than you think!

well it actually makes sense for it unlike religion

Stoicism and Utilitarianism is really the only philosophy to follow in life.

Nihilism doesn't mean there is no "meaning" in anything. I'm tired of people who know nothing about it saying that. Nihilism means there is no higher pursuit than that of *yourself*. Even if God existed, if His will clashed with your own, nihilism says you should follow your own will.

No it doesn't. The idea that there's no inherent meaning in the universe is what motivated to us get rid of dictators and monarchs who put up the facade that "they" had all the answer to everything and if you question their authority you're going to hell.

Yes, I think nihilism is very true, but it doesn't really help us, if we mix it with Pragmatism, then we've got something going.

Utilitarianism is blind ethics, you should use it with the Intention