How does one learn to write jokes Veeky Forums?

How does one learn to write jokes Veeky Forums?

Are there any good books on this subject?

Just watch stand up
Also woody Allen was that creepy guy that married his daughter right?

Greg Dean's book on stand up
Steve Kaplan's hidden tools of comedy
John Byrne-The Comedy Toolbox.

T. Comedian and Playwright.

What standup and start writing jokes and working through them. Carry a little notepad with you because you'll have funny thoughts or strange ironies you encounter throughout the day. They will not initially be funny enough to tell anyone, but you work on them and edit them and they'll come around.

I took about two weeks to produce a ten minute set of soft jokes intended for a sympathetic audience. It was a fun process.

I do watch stand up. I still find the process of writing a joke to be utterly baffling.

I already bought 2 books. One of them was by a woman (which I bitterly regret buying).

Is the Greg Dean book solid?

Thanks bro. My goal is to do stand up in a few weeks time, just before my 28th Birthday.

I will buy the pen and pad asap.

Greg Dean's book has a few very valuable things. His joke diagram is a very foolproof way to understand the mechanics underlying a joke and also offers a strategy to write material from scratch. Gene Perret's Workbook is very good, it does require a lot of (sometimes not very funny) work.

A joke is just set-up and punchline user

Which books have you bought?

So hows about that/those [insert object/person]?
Pretty weird, right? Just like some [] that's been [] in the [], right?
I'll be here all week.

Humor involves both contrast and unpretentiousness. Also dicks

No, he married his girlfriend's adopted daughter.

Stop trying to be funny, because you are not funny. It just adds to the awkwardness.

How do I become funny? I'm 25 and have no real life experience to speak of.

Being funny is intuitive

Work on your intuition

If you don't figure out how to be witty by the time you're about 12 or 13, it will never happen. Sorry to break it to you.

thanks mr. sientist

I'm not sure there is a good book on comedy.

Hobbes said "Sudden glory is the passion which makes those grimaces called laughter."
so for instance if people have post 9/11 fear, turn it into a mocking icon and the cash will flow in

I know the truth hurts, but these are facts.
You need to figure out how to make people laugh through trial and error. You can't learn how to be charismatic in a book. I know these are uncomfortable truths, but that's how it goes.

>My goal is to do stand up in a few weeks time, just before my 28th Birthday.
Good on you for pursuing your goals! I’ve tried stand up before and I’ll tell you now it’s tough and it’s cruel up there, and eventually you’ll bomb hard. Everyone does. But if you have the resolve to keep getting up there you can make it.

Thanks, I suffer terribly with anxiety so it's going to be a disaster but YOLO, you're dead for a long time.

This guy is absolutely not funny btw

Coming up with a good joke is extremely difficult. The best ones are concise and easy to understand, but you have to tailor them to your audience or they run the risk of falling painfully flat.

Puns are easier, but you have to be spot-on with your timing, and the chance for one to occur in regular conversation is extremely random, so having a wide vocabulary is a good starting point.

I know no books.

Well, I laughed.

Can't tell if you're misspelling scientist or Seinfeld.

Neither would be funny, tho.

Self deprecating humor always gets a laugh. Talk about how small your dick is, and how the girls run and hide, and you're mom thinks you're creepy.

They will laugh because what else is there to do?