Murakami is not the Japanese John Green, right Veeky Forums?

Murakami is not the Japanese John Green, right Veeky Forums?

Murakami's books are mostly about adults, John Green writes about teenagers doing teenager shit. Murakami is only "Western" in a vaguely 1950s/60s way, he would probably hate 2010s Western culture.

What do you think Murakami thinks of Green?

I doubt Murakami reads American books for teenagers.

What does he read then?

hmmmmmmmmmm

you’re such a faggot

Murakami is actually very well read in literature, based on the references I've seen him make in the 2 books of his that I've read. They were pretty fun reads too, surely better than John Green.

This man, in my country he is nothing.

Murakami is a pleb in the sense that he writes in his own language for readers of another language.
If you read his books as a Japanese speaker it sounds way more awkward than any Japanese person has a right to be in their own native tongue, but it's suspiciously clear if you're translating it. I can't like him for this reason.

and yet, he's loved by almost all Japanese readers

Murakami literally thinks the West is stuck in 1965 and people spend their evenings in jazz cafes

Is there something wrong with that?

>almost all
No, he's not.
Have you actually spoken to real Japanese people? A lot of them think he sounds weird, this isn't just a personal opinion. He's probably less popular in Japan than among westerners.

No I'm saying he's too cute for this world

Who are the best Japanese authors according to Japanese people?

The other Murakami.

>I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane.

Can Veeky Forums write better than this? I think not.

>hurricane is a type of rain

One.

>she is so special she actually transcends precipitation classifications

Dazai maybe.

Ryu? I haven't read but is he as edgy as he seems?

Two.

Two.

Yeah I live in Japan and I've talked with multiple Japanese people who enjoy murakami.

Sorry for double post. But yeah I live in Japan and he is extremely popular and read

Okay, I see your point. I'll be off, then.

Who the hell is John Green and why do we care?

Balzac, Kafka, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Dickens.

You're the pleb if you think authors have to be writing for some sort of 'national' audience anymore. That Murakami is popular in so many countries and is writing for a global audience is part of the point of what he is commenting on in his books, which you surely have missed.

Closer to Stephen King without the horror.

This man, in my country he is nothing.

soseki akutagawa tanizaki kawabata

Murakami got triggered by Mishima, so he mostly read western works including those of Raymond Chandler and Franz Kafka.

Is this a powerful new Veeky Forums meme? The new "go to bed, Tao Lin"?

by that same logic why the fuck does he care what I think about other people and who i (don't) want to sleep with