ITT: worst of good authors, it can be sentence, a paragraph, a phrase, a word, a story, whatever...

ITT: worst of good authors, it can be sentence, a paragraph, a phrase, a word, a story, whatever. As long as you believe it is their worst.
Mine is pic-related
>and but so

Other urls found in this thread:

ambiguities.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/the-and-but-so/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

inb4 your favorite author is shit and that paragraph is better than the entire body of their work

>the cold autistic dark

McCarthy, The Road.

Care to explain the "and but so" thing to a non-native speaker?

They're all conjunctions and it's kinda fragmented and clunky to use them like that to connect two thoughts because usually you use them for different things

It's just awkward to string conjunctions together in such a manner. It may be grammatically sound, but it's quite painful to the ears, even when not reading aloud.

More than half of Brief Interviews is shit honestly.

Cool title and cover, though.

That's actually a great description though, the idea is to imply a lack of feeling in the darkness stronger than simple coldness.

this
oblivion is miles better

Doesn't matter. Sounds stupid.

As do I.

indifferent might have been a better choice but "the cold indifferent dark" doesnt sound McCarthy-ish or idk. Autistic is a stupid word to describe the dark.

It sounds stupid to you because the word "autistic" has strange modern connotations for you because you go on Veeky Forums too much.

metootho

ambiguities.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/the-and-but-so/

>By and large, “and but so” is a moment of internal conflict. It reveals confusion. It’s a false start of language. People aren’t quite sure what they mean, and what they meant, but they are obliged to explain. Using it in a belletristic novel points out how difficult it is for one to know even one’s own motivations and tendencies, much less those of another, much less those of an entire cast of characters (or, in a more day-to-day sense, a whole family, a whole class of students, a whole office). Like a lot of DFW’s writing, “and but so” reveals the anxiety of being human with other humans. It’s hard to explain something important to yourself or to someone else, hard to get it right, and for all the words he used DFW was always pointing out how the words were not quite right, or not quite enough.

Interesting, but it still bothers me.

I like it.

At one point i think he says "And but so and but" or something like that though and its like lol, cmon.

DFW's usage of
>like

I didn't think this context. Neat.

McCarthy has tons of these bits of description that make no damn sense if you think about them. He just likes to sound badass.

>receipt for deceit

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>oblivion is miles better
Oblivion is his masterpiece. He finally just tells the truth about himself.

gorgon in an autumn pool etc.

Neo-China arrives from the future.

Hypersynthetic drugs click into digital voodoo.

Retro-disease.

Nanospasm.