Long-winded and detailed descriptions of the environment

>long-winded and detailed descriptions of the environment

why is this allowed?

>He doesn't like language for language's sake
pleb

>X for X sake

I bet you enjoy the works of Thomas Pynchon.

I don't understand the complaint. What's wrong with developing a sense of place? I've always enjoyed descriptive writing.

Implying this opening isn't dope:

>Past the flannel plains and blacktop graphs and skylines of canted rust, and past the tobacco-brown river overhung with weeping trees and coins of sunlight through them on the water downriver, to the place beyond the windbreak, where untilled fields simmer shrilly in the A.M. heat: shattercane, lamb's-quarter, cutgrass, sawbrier, nutgrass, jimsonweed, wild mint, dandelion, foxtain, muscadine, spine-cabbage, goldenrod, creeping charlie, butter-print, nightshade, ragweed, wild oat, vetch, butcher grass, invaginate volunteer beans, all heads gently nodding in a morning breeze like a mother's soft hand on your cheek. An arrow of starlings fired from the windbreak's thatch. The glitter of dew that stays where it is and steams all day. A sunflower, four more, one bowed, and horses in the distance standing rigid and still as toys. All nodding. Electric sounds of insects at their business. Ale-colored sunshine and pale sky and whorls of cirrus so high they cast no shadow. Insects all business all the time. Quartz and chert and schist and chondrite iron scabs in granite. Very old land. Look around you. The horizon trembling, shapeless. We are all of us brothers.

I already live on Earth, I don't need to know what it looks like

>implying your sub-par, plebeian language allows you to view the world with such detail and brilliance as it is shown in the descriptions by some Greats
get a load of this pleb.
though I agree that overly long descriptions of nature can get dull at times

>Implying literature doesn't exist entirely for its sake
>Implying that the continuous attack on aestheticism on the grounds of "muh politics" isn't the cause of the decline of the humanities
Oh, sweet child of September....

Is it Suttree? It's gotta be.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then you should write a thousand words to create a picture.

so many and's tbqh

>when you not only make a thread about this paragraph but then feel the need to post your thread in other peoples' threads

it’s from The Pale King but it’s got some very obvious influence from McCarthy.

>Implying literature doesn't exist entirely for its sake

It doesn't, it mostly exists because of nerdy guys wanting to get laid

That's intentional

unironically awful

I do hope so

link

Steven King's body of work would be 90% smaller otherwise.

the only environmental description writing that wasn't a pointless bore was balzac and it's because he gave it agency and movement, he was like describing how the landscape changed with seasons milenia and stuff, so instead of the typical "let me find some words in my thesaurus to describe a beach" he was like telling a narrative of the land, underrated writer, wikipedia skimmers never gonna get it

this better not be from a famous guy cuz i wrote obnoxious shit like this in like 3rd grade and the teacher sent me to read it in front of the 6th grade class and then i learned my lesson to not write pretentious bullshit again

It's the mans known as Wallace, but he ain't got no Gromit.

>pseudy crap that reads like bad juvenilia
>written by dfw

checks out

I bet you like to read "character development" and "hero stories". Just go read Harry Potter or something if you can't enjoy Pynchon.

that’s an ugly picture and you have an equally ugly mind
>aesthetics for aesthetics sake
demonic nigger

Big shocker that Pynchon readers are averse to character development, since the man himself seems completely unable to write any compelling characters at all. But sure, spotting references is cool if you're still in your teens.

>reading for characters

holy shit kill yaself or at least go to redit

Have fun being hanged by the balls by radical feminists, you dumb hippopotamus.

>intertextuality is "references"
woah... completely btfo... there is literally no reason to do any literature beyond character development... Why is my board filled with NEETs who couldn't get past college?

Because it's nice

if i want character development i'll play final fantasy, but then again i'm not a child so i don't want