Guy in class namedrops Infinite Jest

>guy in class namedrops Infinite Jest

>guy namedrops Salinger

Can you give a description of the guy?

asian manlet. Looks like he probably lifts.

>It's me

Honestly I'm nervous to mention it because it has that 'hipster douche' air to it, and every girl's probably had it recommended to her by some Vonnegut pseud who's read like 200 pages of it

I had a professor casually reference DFW in class once, and I've been so trained by Veeky Forums to shudder at that that my immediate thought was "oh shit what are you doing" but then I realized it was no big deal and no one cared

lol I'm readind Slaugtherhouse-Five right now.

>he thinks in memes and lets a board of pseuds decide what he reads

The point is nobody cares whether you like IJ in real life. I haven't even read it, I've only read some of DFW's short stories.

Was DFW even sincere?

Define sincere

define DFW

>decade ago
>freshman roommate casually leaves copy of infinite jest on his desk for everyone to see
>always rambles on about how much he loves reading
>he never finished the book and dropped out midway through the second semester

That was my introduction to DFW fans

o fuck
that was me

Dallas Fort Worth

Get out

I haven't heard Pynchon or DWF mentioned in class ever. It's weird, but they barely seem relevant outside of Veeky Forums and Anglo world.
Ok, I saw a translation of Inherent Vice in a bookstore at least, but literally the only time I saw DFW mentioned IRL was in a depliant for an exhibition by some Canadian artist.

>being in class

>guy in class namedrops The Crying of Lot 49

>not having the pride, courage, confidence and conviction to state what you enjoy in front of people

How's the crushingly low self-esteem treating ya?

Lmao i’m actually that guy

Somebody post the greentext where that guy always mentions Infinite Jest in class, not the one where he's confronted by girls at the end. It's the one where he slams it on the desk on purpose to make a scene.

As long as you finish IJ it'll be alright. Finishing IJ moves you up a lot, in the world of readers

Is it hard to read? Or do people really have trouble with a 1000 page book? Doesn't seem very hard to me

It's sort of packed and dense, like Pynchon except not as crazy

It's long and of above-average difficulty to read. End notes in a smaller font are mildly discouraging

I read it. Then I hated it. Only interesting concept is determinism, everything else emotional trash, some funny moments like the unaccomplished author. get out while you can.
So it goesSO IT GOES SO IT GOES SO IT GOES SO IT GOES SO I T OSFIPASODKFJOSDA FJOIASPGJ OPA

>Guy in class

not insincere

I find Wallace's writing quite approachable, actually. The thing with IJ is that it's very long and very fragmented, so you need to be paying attention.

People give up on books?
How do you know if you aren't going to enjoy it, if you give up before the end?

Fuck sake this board really is filled with pseuds

The difficulty is overstated. Once you get about 200 pages in it becomes very easy to understand. The hardest thing is reading the tiny ass end notes (you need to read every one of them) which seem to go on forever sometimes

Not that one, the one with the marine who throws it out the window.

Found it. Pic related.

I only realized recently that Skinner is climbing out the window and not being thrown through it in the opposite direction.

If the first 10% or so is shit, the rest is likely shit too. This also applies to a lot of other forms of media.

wow

Lol I'm weird I told my grandpa to read it and regularly bring it up to people.

I don't read but I know what steamed hams are. Am I Veeky Forums?