Defend these. Pens are superior in almost every way

Defend these. Pens are superior in almost every way.

Other urls found in this thread:

flavorwire.com/394100/classic-books-annotated-by-famous-authors
entropymag.org/writers-their-margin-notes/
cosmoetica.com/b308-des248.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can write on wet paper, and you can correct your mistakes.

if they break you can still use them

You can't write on wet paper with pencil.

>you can correct your mistakes
This encourages carelessness. Regardless, tipex does exist.

>You can write on wet paper
You should never be using wet paper anyway.

Things drawn in pencil look more aesthetic

pens encourage carelessness with all the ink inside of them already. nothing builds character better than a writer having to carefully deliver his quill from the inkwell to the parchment without dripping a single drop of ink

underlining or other marks in books are less obtrusive in pencil.

they're good to chew on, pens are expensive

>vandalizing books

if you're not at least marking passages that you think are important you might as well not be reading at all.

I make notes in my notebook.

They're not a problem if you accidentally leave one in a pocket when doing the laundry.

First genuine advantage I've seen

They can write in space without any modifications

>vandalising notebooks

>not writing your own chronicle in which you record recent events with extreme bias interspersed with plagiarized passages of classical philosophers and hamfisted moral messages

actually that's a myth. or rather, they can write in space but the graphite dust clogs up important space machinery, so a modified pen is much better.

so do I, but directly involving myself with the text helps me remember it better afterward. plus it's not vandalism, it's my own property.

>actually that's a myth.
>goes on to explain how it's actually not a myth

>not just using your phone for notes
Everybody in this thread is memeing, right?

>vandalising your own property

I lose or break phones too much to keep anything remotely important recorded on them.

I know they are messy, but they still work.

Also unrelated, but I also like pencils that are just one huge piece of graphite. They look so nice and don't break nearly as often.

damn, now I want one.

Only if I don't have paper on hand. And my shopping list, as I always forget that when I go to the store.

eraser

Both kind of suck if you're left-handed like me.

Jacques Barzun wrote everything in longhand with a quill.
Jacques Barzun is great.
Why aren't you reading Jacques Barzun; the greatest critic of the 20th century?

I'm not putting anything to with my purchases or wants somewhere the NSA or Google can track me. It's why I have a notebook and write my stuff down on paper.

It is scientifically proven that you'll remember things worse that way.

They're not "more aesthetic". Have you ever seen a proper artist drawing with a pen at all? Of course not, because they are irreversible and, more importantly, it is difficult to vary the thickness of the line. You can't produce finer effects with a pen. It's not about "aesthetics", pencils are simply superior.

>if you can do something that means that thing is actually encouraged
Idiot

>Have you ever seen a proper artist drawing with a pen at all?

yes, obviously.

>pen and India ink onpencilstrokes

Pencils are garbage. Leadholders do everything pencils do but with consistent balance and better grips.

i havent used a pencil for anything other than a scantron in years

even back in high school i did my math hw with a pen. i got marked down for it too...

is a leadholder a mechanical pencil?

>I am retarded so everyone else should be too!

It's a primitive form of mechanical pencil that you sharpen like a woodcase pencil. You can extend the lead and draw with the side if you want to.

I write less important things with these.

soft pencils and fountain pens don't require you to really apply pressue but fountain pens are messier.

check out silverpoint drawings

You should work on your reading comprehension. The graphite dust is highly conductive, and NASA was worried that stray particles may make it into the electronics, causing a fire.

I personally just like the friction

>This encourages carelessness.
Preferable to crossing out something and making it look worse since you can actually erase it. Carelessness does not come into this.

>Regardless, tipex does exist.
It exists to make it even more apparent that you messed up. Thick white paste on thin off-white paper is quite clear to see.

If they break, they don't make a mess and you can still write with the pieces. Pencils also don't stop working when it gets cold enough.

those things are for maths

It is nice. The smoothness of a fine point pen while writing cursive is nice too though.

I like to use a pencil rather than a pen while writing poetry.

I pity anyone who doesn't annotate in the margins while they read.

Some people remember things better?

Doesn't matter. The simple act of writing increases it no matter your mental capacity. It also brings about a better realization of a novel's intertextuality when you revise old thoughts and pathways in a second reading.

I see what you mean, but stopping and writing breaks the flow of reading.

you'll never make it

flavorwire.com/394100/classic-books-annotated-by-famous-authors

you just got to!
entropymag.org/writers-their-margin-notes/

i didn't get anything out of From Dawn to Decadence. he has a way with words, though. how do his other books compare?

>intertextuality

kys humanities faggot

I'm so used to pencils that I make a lot of mistakes with a pen

cosmoetica.com/b308-des248.htm

>he doesn’t indent pages with his finger nails
never going to make it

I think he meant to say homosexuality