How do i reconcile metaphysics with modern science?

How do i reconcile metaphysics with modern science?
Sometimes metaphysics seems so far behind, other times lightyears ahead.

anyone know this feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/2/2/review1.html.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Speculative realism?

IDK, I just like the name, never read anything from them

metaphysics is one reality level higher than science. science is just a paradigm of viewing reality through a priori assumptions, just like religion. Don't let people brainwash you into confusing "real(scientifically)" with "real"

>Sometimes metaphysics seems so far behind, other times lightyears ahead.

Can you name a single example of this? Analytic metaphysics tends to take scientific knowledge seriously and derive metaphysical conclusions from empirical work done in physics and other special sciences. Philosophy of physics as well

Yes because modern science is basically taking phenomenal covering law models from mid 19th century Kantian structural realism along the lines envisioned by Ernst Mach, stripping it of the self-awareness that guys like Mach had (they knew they were making a serious claim by saying we can only ever know the noumenal structurally by phenomenal modeling, and they also separated their metaphysical statements about the noumenal from that and could do interesting things with the distinction), and basically recreating Comtean positivism with a pre-Kantian/pre-critical idea of metaphysics but with all the tools of the post-Kantian explosion in German science and philosophy of science

It's like the worst possible combination of things imaginable. Modern science is a bunch of degenerate pseudo-realists who don't realise that "realism" is a position, who don't even abide by a reasonable version of realism like Quine's. They do the WORST IMAGINABLE COMBINATION of thinking they are post-metaphysical while also applying substance metaphysics to everything. They do SCHOLASTIC level metaphysical wrangling and ontological argument bullshit while also claiming to be quasi-Kantian structural covering law realists. They don't even have a consistent position, but shift mercurially and unconsciously between a mishmash of the worst components of three dead systems. It is hard to appreciate just how fucking stupid modern scientists actually are.

>How do i reconcile metaphysics with modern science?

Either read Heidegger or read enough about him to understand what substance ontology is and why it's busted. Then look into Goethe science or "tender empiricism," then finally look into "the flesh of the world" idea in Bachelard and Merleau-Ponty.

Once you've done all that, resist the modern tendency to mistake "saturated phenomenon"-esque Goethean science as somehow actually overcoming dualism in metaphysics (it doesn't, it's still just Kantian), and start looking into the possibility of a higher metaphysics after the death of Western metaphysics, informed and made possible by Goethean science but not coterminous with it. Which basically means "figure it out and report back to the rest of us once you find the truth," since it hasn't been done yet and all the post-scientism people are floundering like self-satisfied retards in their pseudo-nondualism instead of discovering an authentic nondualism.

Your post is nonsensical. Metaphysics and science do not contradict each other.

saved. This is the quality content I come here for

Quality post, I'll definitely check out your recommendations. Out of curiosity, who are some post-scientism types who you think have their heads in the sand?

Kip Thorne's team predicted what a gravitational wave from a colision of neutron stars might "look" like when it hit the detectors. They detected it and directed the telescope to the region of the sky where it came from. It was there.
Any metaphysical incoherence was irrelevant. It worked. The power of scientists over nature grew bigger.
I really can't imagine a Heideggerian science, just a Heideggerian critic of science (Kuhn did it in a way).

Science has almost begun to redeem its bad faith simply because it's taking its self-assured positivism to its logical conclusion, the point of self-destruction. Engineering is already there. Engineering doesn't care about the "why" or the reality of their work, they only care that it has repeatable empirical results that can make products. This is a good thing, ultimately, as science will push itself out of its false domain of prescriptive metaphysics and simply reside in the realm of pure mechanistic pragmatism, giving the reigns back over to rationalism to do the prescribing.

At least that's what I have to make myself believe so I don't have to think about a future of unmediated logical postivism

well op
you shouldnt compare metaphysics to physics
could you guess why that is?

>It is hard to appreciate just how fucking stupid modern scientists actually are.
Okay, but let's see you understand advanced physics and mathematics and use that for useful research. Scientists don't have a consistent metaphysical position because they literally don't care. It's not their job. It doesn't affect their job.

Bunch of nonsense dravel.

Most real scientists who care to think about these things now consider themselves to be post-positivists.

Ok, what did you think was bad about it? What would you recommend instead?

not him but I would recommend not caring about metaphysics and keeping doing science the way it is work.
"Thinking is a disease of the eye". Fernando Pessoa
We only need to rethink thinks when current models start failing

I made a thread about the reconciliation of science and postmodernism/continental philosophy a bit ago and got very few responses. I was basically hoping for a discussion on whether postmodernist perspectives could be viewed as an acknowledgement of complexity, and if science could actually benefit from this. The question was inspired by Complexity and Postmodernism by Paul Cilliers, which I found to be a pretty interesting book: jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/2/2/review1.html. The person who responded recommended Reza Negarastani, but I haven't read him yet.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations? I feel like there's got to be more discussion on this but I don't know where to look.

Many would argue that our current models are failing, though. That's why people are looking for something different.

Well thanks anons. I dunno. I think almost all of the people who think that they have understood post-dualism, understood saturated phenomenon, flesh-of-the-world type theories like Merleau-Ponty's, are still trapped within τέχνη fundamentally. The rigorous tying-down of Goethean science (recent book calls it "sweet science" and ties it to Blake as well, as all being versions of science pioneered during the initial Romantic era, and forgotten about in the positivist 19th century) is just one example. They all want to better mediate the difference between the noumenal and the phenomenal, but the difference is maintained, and no one really seems to care about getting at nature in its ownmost, supra-human being. There is no λόγος there, only a kind of maximised efficiency μῦθος, an acknowledgment that truth is "lie" and the real truth exceeds us or is indifferent to us.

You constantly see this stuff lately, last 20 or 30 years, coming from a lot of different places. Emerson's readings of nature are suddenly big right now, for example. Lots of work on Emerson being done, all along the lines of this kind of "let's open ourselves up to the ding an sich, let's be porous with nature!" shit. Rehashing Goethe and Schleiermacher and Kant, like Emerson did. Seen lots of work combining Deleuze's virtual with William James' virtual realism, lots of Jamesian virtual realisms and pragmatisms being proposed. And it's just the same shit over and over again, it's a kind of vague collation of post-positivist insights, all boiling down to the fundamentally idealist, Kantian position that was already completed by Nietzsche and James and Heidegger and Wittgenstein and Merleau-Ponty and Derrida and Deleuze and everybody else, in their own ways, generations ago. All this was known when Nietzsche said it, but now it's thick enough in the air that even mediocrities can get it, and they're all desperate to look cutting edge by saying it in Deleuze-speak and claiming it's new.

Why write a fucking article appropriating James' radical empiricism for a Deleuzian reading of it? Because you need to write something to get a job, that's why, and the two clearly speak to each other. But they speak to each other not by some magical coincidence you've discovered, but because Deleuze is just reprocessing ideas that James was already working with.

From what little I understand of object oriented ontology, it seems like more of the same to me. The dualism between knowledge and reality is maintained, but knowledge is wisely chastened, and we're supposed to be open to the things in themselves exceeding our knowledge of them. Big woop. Same old μῦθος with no attempt at λόγος, and the whole thing folds into τέχνη at the end of the day, because what is the fucking point of "mastering" μῦθος anyway? To make you better at doing science, a science which can have no final λόγος, so it only has existential (utilitarian) value.

>How do i reconcile metaphysics with modern science?
Faith in God.

>Engineering doesn't care about the "why" or the reality of their work, they only care that it has repeatable empirical results that can make products.
>science will push itself out of its false domain of prescriptive metaphysics and simply reside in the realm of pure mechanistic pragmatism, giving the reigns back over to rationalism to do the prescribing.

This would be a good thing if it happened for sure, but the problem is that science doesn't realise it is collapsing into engineering.

I was at a talk by some Hegelian philosopher and he quoted some leading neuroscientist saying that the entire field of neuroscience is still "pointology," that is, neuroscientists can point to the part of the brain that is lit up, when you subjectively report that you are experiencing some quale. For him to say that is insanely rare. These people, not just neuroscientists but philosophers of mind and cognitive scientists and neuropsychologists and all the other trendy combinations of epiphenomenalist mechanism with some prefix or suffix, think their pointology is the real deal. They think pointology points to substance, in esse.

>The power of scientists over nature grew bigger.

There's the whole thing in one sentence. Science has become "power over nature." This is Heidegger's and Adorno's/Horkheimer's whole point. Power is not understanding. It is the ability to bend to your will.

Who cares what gravity "is," in itself, when you can make it "do" things? Who cares what nature "is," what its inner reason is, when you can make it do things? And how is "doing things" defined? Well, since everything non-human and extra-ideal by definition, that is, nature, is that which is already in question here, we only have one domain remaining to us that can provide meanings and directives for our manipulation OF nature: the ideal. We're stuck back in our own heads again.

You want to increase "power" over everything-that-isn't-your-mind (i.e., nature). Part of that power is prediction of what it DOES, when subjected to certain stimuli, including observation. That's fine, but that makes you an engineer, not a scientist in the noblest sense of that term.

Nietzsche:
>We say it is "explanation"; but it is only in "description" that we are in advance of the older stages of knowledge and science.
>The peculiarity, for example, in every chemical process seems a "miracle," the same as before, just like all locomotion; nobody has "explained" impulse. How could we ever explain! We operate only with things which do not exist, with lines, surfaces, bodies, atoms, divisible times, divisible spaces how can explanation ever be possible when we first make everything a conception, our conception!

>It is sufficient to regard science as the exactest humanising of things that is possible; we always learn to describe ourselves more accurately by describing things and their successions.

Either elaborate or take your LARP elsewhere, using faith as a catch-all answer is a dead end.

Science does realize it's collapsing into engineering though, people complain about the technologization of science all the time. I have a few family members who are in fields that aren't immediately applicable to the creation or maintenance of a profitable technology and they are very aware of this. My cousin recently completed a physics PhD and is literally interviewing for a job at Wal-Mart right now (not anything to do with sales, back end supply chain stuff). He could probably get an academic job, but his wife's in med school and research doesn't pay.

>supra-human being

Can you explain what this is? I just started getting into traditionalism and I've been seeing this a lot. I've been meaning to look it up but I forgot about it until now.

with Weird Fiction