In this thread you post /lit related photographs, preferably ones you've taken

In this thread you post /lit related photographs, preferably ones you've taken.

Examples include houses or grave sites of authors, libraries, photographs of paintings related to literature, photos of rare or signed books, etc. Colleges or businesses relevant to authors are also encouraged. Really anything interesting is fine. I'm going to be posting various photos of my own that I've taken. Please include a description of your photo.

The photograph here is Rudyard Kipling's house in southern Vermont.

This is the house of seven gables that Hawthorne's novel is based on. Didn't get to visit the interior because the night's frost has caused pipes in the house to burst, so the docents and staff were busy trying to dry out paintings and other objects in the house and so it was closed for the day. I read The Crucible right before visiting Salem and was in the middle of reading Hawthorne's novel when I visited. It was 0 degrees fahrenheit the night I stayed there.

This is a photograph of a painting of Stevenson that I took at the writers' museum in Edinburgh. The city is amazing for literary history.

This is an autographed copy of Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man that I bought at the Strand in New York for 48 cents without knowing that it was signed. I took a picture of it and posted it on /lit that evening but then everyone called me a faggot for bragging about getting a signed copy by accident for so little money.

This is the view from the library of King's College at Cambridge, where I did my abroad study. Rupert Brooke, Salman Rushdie, and that mulatto chick that DFW had a crush on all went there.

This is the Walter Scott memorial in Edinburgh.

Nobody else is posting so I'm gonna cool it for a minute.

I found this incredibly comfy. Like listening to an old friend tell me about their travels, a slide projector wirring between photos.

>im gunna cool eet

Thanks. I made a thread like this maybe two years ago and some anons posted interesting pictures. I got the idea to make another thread recently because the neighborhood I recently moved to has a mural on a building that includes a mural painting of Nietzsche.

This is the ground floor of 221B Baker Street, the home of Sherlock Holmes. Despite literature being a dying art form tourist still flock to Baker St. to see this apartment. The wait to get in is about an hour.

Keep posting please

This is the walk going toward the aforementioned King's College. My memory isn't great but the street is empty because it must be a weekday morning and so there aren't a thousand chinese people blocking the street leading to the main gate and porter's lodge like there are on the weekend.

This is Merton College at Oxford, which is where Tolkien taught. I ended up having a fling with the girl on the far right and several years later we're still together.

Self-Explanatory. It's in San Francisco. Not sure who paid for it to be made and erected.

This is Umberto Eco's toolshed. It took a person with an encyclopaedic mind such as his to make sense of all the apparent clutter. He could remember and pick any particular object at a moment's notice.

I live there, never realised it was for Scott.

Old lighthouse in Santiago de Cuba. Hemingway would come up here to fish, write and meditate on his manhood. The Old Man and the Sea, his last and most famous poem, was composed here, and its original metre is said to mimic the steady lull of the Pacific's waves.

*manliness
Sorry, English is not my first language and I'm posting from an old payphone.

It's funny because sometimes "manhood" is slang for penis.

Lurking

The main hallway of the copper mines at Magadan, Kaliningrad oblast, where Dostoyevsky spent his last days, sentenced to hard labour as a political prisoner. The cross marks the spot where he was killed by the leader of a rival prison gang. The guide said that his atheist manifesto "A Confession" was found scribbled on a wall with a chicken wing bone dipped in his(?) watery dysenteria stool, though that is probably just folklore.

Marcel Proust's birth place in Grossescullotes-sur-Seine, northern France. He kept his humble origins well hidden throughout his life, especially after he rose through France's highest intellectual and societal circles. In the left can be seen a branch of the famous madeleine fig tree--in fact a Mediterranean deciduous shrub which would provide the daily subsistence for the Proust family in times of famine.

Thanks for this post user. I'm going to Salem this summer, anything in particular I should look for?

In Vienna the monuments for Schiller and Goethe are located on either sides of the Ringstrasse, Goethe is seated, while Schiller stands upright, looking at each other... Just today I passed Goethe on my sunday afternoon stroll...

i've climbed to the top of that

sorry but who are you talking about here? dostoyevsky did not die in that way. great photos by the way.

That’s some dude who’s contributing to the thread so idk.

I wish I had been more informed on Melville and Hawthorne prior to going. The administrative building (pictured here) is where Hawthorne worked I think. It’s maybe two blocks from the house of the seven gables.

The only real recommendation I can give would maybe be to go in the summer. When I went in was during the worst winter in the area in a hundred years, so things like the town graveyard (where some people relevant to the witch trials are buried) was completely covered in snow. (There was something kind of interesting and creepy about going in the winter, though.) There’s also a national parks museum type thing there in town. I stayed at some really old hotel right in the middle of town that was kind of neat.

is that since the benedict cumberbatch series?
when i went there a few years ago it was practically deserted
for a long time nobody was interested in sherlock holmes

Marquis de Sade's prison cell was excavated from the remains of the Bastille and can still be seen today, through the collapsed ceiling. Almost a hundred years later, Émile Zola served time in a similar cell during the Dreyfuss affair, and it was during this time that he began writing Les Misérables. In the same "writers' wing" of the infamous prison were kept, at various times in its centuries-long history: Hemingway (for public indecency and sodomy), Céline (before being deported to Birkenau as a Jew) and Michel Foucault (for masterminding the attempted coup of May '68).

Railwayman's hut by the abandoned train station of Cimpinita, Sicily. Italo Calvino's father worked for the railways and his son was born in one of these cabins. I was lucky to have visited after the first snowfall in thirty five years. The city was practically invisible under the all that snow.

This is Gljúfrasteinn just outside of Reykjavík where Icelandic Nobel laureate Halldór Laxness lived for most of his life

forgot pic

Svo fallegur staður.

A picture of a whaling boat, a dying profession in my country.

Kristján Loftsson pls leave

Hver er besta Laxness bókin? Það er aðeins eitt rétt svar

Salka Valka fite me bruh, Austurvöllur 20 minutes
>m-muh Sjálfstætt Fólk
as if you've even read it

Sjálfstætt Fólk er eina rétta svarið.
"Kvenkynið er lakara en mannkynið" Besta lína sem samin hefur verið 10/10.

Summer 2013, and it was mobbed with people. Took maybe 45-60 minutes to get in.