At every point in history there has been an intellectual capital of the world

At every point in history there has been an intellectual capital of the world.

Obviously, in ancient times, this was Athens.

In the early 20th century, it was Vienna.

In the mid 20th century, it was Paris.

In the late 20th century, it was New York.

Where do you think the highest echelons of intellectual debates take place today?

BUDAPEST

For free? Unironically, Veeky Forums. For pay/paper? Universities.

The internet. There is now nowhere in the real world with a thriving intellectual current.

>Where do you think the highest echelons of intellectual debates take place today?
Peterson threads

Girls like these are my fetish

salo-forum.com

they're called dirty-foot heifers, user.

Same here my man. I consider myself an educated man with high-brow hobbies, but there's nothing I like more than slamming drunk slags on a Friday night.

>Implying I could ever score with a girl like this...
>Implying I don't just masturbate to pictures of these types of girls.

Bassano del Grappa

London, richest city on earth, majority are foreigners, has most intellectual debates. Very close to Oxford/Cambridge.

>Athens
What about Rome? You know, the centre of the largest empire in human history at the time?

I would join salo, but my politics are too Marxist. They have a nice forum.

The Romans were barbarians. All the culture came from the East.

Baltimore, MD unironically. me + friends

JHU is at the forefront of many academic fields, and the state of the city provides an existential imperitive towards higher meaning

with a bridge like that bassano needs more engineers than intellectuals

>At every point in history there has been an intellectual capital of the world.
No there hasn't.

So... all the architecture, the advanced state of their Legion Army with uniformed armour and weaponry not to mention the ballistas, the philosophers, the social programs (including a sort of 'wheat welfare' which sadly ultimately helped to destroy the economy) and all the bridges that had been built throughout the empire along with bath houses including some in Londinium (modern day London), etc... but none of that provided any culture and instead was just barbarism compared to Greece?

boards.Veeky Forums.org/lit/

unironically new york city

Yes they're barbarians, the Romans and Greeks are like Aristotles and Alexander.

It was also several hundreds of years later

Somewhere in canada
Toronto
Or whereever JBP teaches.

Lucky for you they exist in droves

The Romans at least during the Republic hated philosophy they thought that the Greeks aimed at destroying their traditional values by introducing philosophy. At some point they banned it and exiled all the Greek philosophers who were living in Rome.

Cato the Elder was struck with horror, along with many other Romans of the graver stamp, at the licence of the Bacchanalian mysteries, which he attributed to the influence of Greek manners; and he vehemently urged the dismissal of the philosophers Carneades, Diogenes, and Critolaus, who had come as ambassadors from Athens, on account of what he believed was the dangerous nature of their ideas. Also he had a horror of physicians, who were chiefly Greeks.

There is not a single philosophical school arising from Italy, all Roman citizens who were philosophers followed one of the Greek philosophical schools, like Marcus Aurelius was a stoic, so was Seneca the Younger. And even during the Roman period most of the philosophers were Greeks and most of the philosophical works of the Roman period were written in Alexandria, Greece or Asia Minor.

Im not sure you know what an intellectual capital is.

People meme by saying the internet is the intellectual capital of the world, but there's some truth to it. In the past, intellectuals congregated in particular places in order to easily communicate with each other, and with the internet this need has been eradicated more or less.

The most interesting conversations are probably happening in groupchats right now.

But really, if I had to pick a particular place, I'd say it was still new york, if only because nowhere has contested its claim to intellectual capital, no matter how much this reputation has sagged in recent years

iktf

Berlin

Not even memeing.

Berlin is a big tech center in Europe now. Along those lines I would say Silicon Valley or Seattle. That's where the hyper rich "decide your future" types live. Think bill gates, jeff bezos, and elon musk

>a man of taste

thank you user... you are a god

The internet blogosphere

I know most of you pseuds have probably never even heard about the place, but mark my words. For the last few years some very interesting conversations have taken place, and will continue to take place, between the worlds leading intellectuals in Bergen, Norway which will shape the cultural and political world for the next century.
In a hundred years time historians will look upon what is happening in Bergen right now as just as, if not more, influential in the shaping of the coming decades than 68-movement was in the shaping of the latter part of the 20th century.

as soon as you niggers are out of oil your shit country will go downhill.

Tell me more

L.A?

>Obviously, in ancient times, this was Athens.
laughing persians.png
laughing chinese.jpeg
laughing indians.gif

laughing bait.oldmeme

Were those capitals/significant cities recognized at the time of their prominence? I'm not talking Rome/London where they were just the biggest thing around and the 'centers of the world', but rather Vienna before WWI, where there were obviously other cities (like today), yet something significant was happening there.

Veeky Forums.

>saving the persians in png and chinese in jpg
lmao@urlife

washington, london, bejng

This. The internet decentralises information first and foremost. Looking for an intellectual capital in one place is just anachronistic.

China has been the greatest civilisation in the world until 1820 or so. And around 2030 it's bound to be so again.

The whole phenomenon of the West is a quirky intermission in world history.

Eurocentrism is silly and unwarranted.

>tfw getting sexually harassed by british slags on holiday

feels great to be objectified.

I would specify it to certain websites, but I never saw it this way.

New York? When was New York ever the “intellectual capital” of anywhere? Postwar, I’d say it was artistic capital, but Paris held pretty tightly to the intellectual capital until the 80s at least, and after that I’d just say there is no capital.

Maybe Ljubljana?

>Maybe Ljubljana?
no

I dont get why people are mentioning Budapest, Ljubljana or Prague or any other eastern european city.
I live in a big EE city and am among those you would call intelectuals here (no, not hipsters, actually accomplished ppl within high levels of intellectual society - not politically yet tho) and no, there is simply no way anyone in EE is having any impact whatsoever in global scheme of things

You will have to look at Chinese cities, probably Washington (NY and LA are just hipsters, editors and random academics) maybe Boston and then, politically speaking, definitely Moscow.

Also probably Brusel or Berlin but Europeans are such a joke lately.
Dont mention random cities just because you feel like aesthethically it fits the definition in OPs question.

t. head in the sand american

Do you seriously think one man makes an “intellectual hotspot”, I’m so fucking tired of you goddamn sycophants.

Toronto is an important intellectual centre, but not because some fucking psych prof started making YouTubes about how trans kids are destroying society.

If you look on Wikipedias list of important UofT psychologists Peterson doesn’t even make the list. And how many of you know of Endel Tulving, easily in the top 50 psychologists of all time, revolutionized how we understand memory and cognition.

>Ljubljana
good one.

how can you even say that

because of Zizek?

You are out of your mind and probably never been to Slovenia

Ahhh anyone ever not visit Veeky Forums threads for weeks at a time and feel refreshed at the thought that while you plumb the depths and explore the heights of the loftiest and most profound human artistic endeavors you dumb homos are "still" here incessantly yammering with your useless memes and garbage mediocre tastes and ideas? Feels pretty good, man.

Hay-on-Wye

This. Today we read about the art fags in Paris. Tomorrow we'll read about the /litfags on Veeky Forums.

Also Alenka Zupančič, Mladen Dolar, Renata Salecl and Samo Tomšič

Which ones?

>delacroix fitting footservice into death scenes
good taste user, back to reading the sticky

I'm from the eastern med

Where do you find videos like this?

Real life is obsolesced by the digital. Veeky Forums should just meet up in vr chatrooms using their favorite book/writer as their model. Then we can shit post with a face but still never "our" face

>smoking
>white but blacked
>dishonest with their hair
>not wearing proper shoes / walking in the dirt
>generic dress
>not vegan
>fat
>celulitis
>watch on the right wrist
>probably more than 25 years old and still being a "party girl"

is that a euphemism for balkans?

is claire vegan? :3

i always thought she was pure

no its just the middle east

mi diario desumente.

Sylicon Valley

The Internet is the greatest civilization in the Universe

;)

>thinks nation-state identity will matter in a globalized future with mutant superhumans who can choose phenotypic features at will
lmaoing @ your myopic worldview

Has Veeky Forums produced a single noteworthy writer?

Is a single one of those blonds a real blond?
God I wish I were born a female today, I could just dye my hair blond.

They're emblematic of everything terrible about modernity but I still feel you

>implying the Chinese won't remake themselves as six foot four Nordics

Is that an actual sample of Nick Land's writing? Is he that incoherent?

new york city

>(((In the late 20th century, it was New York.)))

Chez moi, when I start my monologues.

I remember when the Internet was purely western. It was glorious and most people are actually literate.

Wherever Dan Schneider lives in

would unironically be pretty neet, shame i don't have a VR set.

The Internet, and more specifically, on Skeptic YouTube channel comment sections. This is the place where only the most rational and enlightened Kekistani soliders are victorious in the battle of ideas against the authorotarian cultural marxist SJW liberals. PRAISE KEKISTAN! :-)

This exactly.

Not just Western but smart enough to use those shitty computers. You basically had no dumb people online for a while.

On the other hand it’s fun seeing the third world come online though.

kek

Intellectual HQ has been and always will be... RRREEEEDDDDDITTTTTT!!!!!

Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Kill.your.self. you fucking retard

Oh look, a delusional westaboo.

> thinking New York was an intellectual capital
wtf OP

> thinking foreigners are capable of being intellectual
ha.

Silicon Valley obviously.

>flicks lights on and off

settle down now children

this.

elon musk is probably shitposting behind a screen name somewhere, not fucking drinking overpriced coffee with some kids in scarves.

I begrudgingly have to say it's the internet. There's no real intellectual discussion taking place these days. Everyone is just engaged in institutionalist warfare with each other, so instead of trying to argue with other ideas, they try to get the guys they disagree with fired. If I had to name a place, it would probably be New York City or Washington D.C.
Rome had some really impressive people, and was certainly one of the most advanced cities on the planet. However, Rome copied a lot of its culture from Greece, so naturally Greece was able to maintain its existing culture, and develop even further. It's similar to in economics where it's easier for a poor country to advance because they can just copy technology from the rich ones; whereas a rich country needs to invest a lot into developing new ideas. Greece never really needed to "play catch-up," so it was able to maintain its incredible intellectual sphere. It was actually a very common practice for the Roman aristocracy to send their children to study Greek and Philosophy in Greece.

Twitter.