How do i get better at analyzing books...

How do i get better at analyzing books? I feel like i miss all these little cues that other people pick up on and i can never see past the surface level.

How hard do you actively try to pick up on these cues when reading?

Read
Think about what you read
Ask other people who have read the same thing what they think about it
Discuss your interpretations

Repeat for each book

Not very hard, but thats mainly because i never really think thats theres something deeper at work, and that whats happening is really just whats happening and thats all there is to it.

is... is this a male?

Read more essays on books

a beautiful one, indeed.

Read about theory. Now, you don't have to go full bore into po-mo literary deconstruction, but read about literary theory and familiarize yourself with some of its terms and movements.

Read closely - see the big and the small. Think carefully about things like word choice, repetition, and parallelism. Draw similarities to other stories. Pick out the binary oppositions the author sets up. Are any of them subverted somehow?

dammit why why why

what is wrong with me :|

surrender that boipussi

>t. overdosed on the greeks

The kid from Stranger Things/It

A male is cute. So?

Well this thread took a fun turn.

just READ in BETWEEN THE LINES bro

read more, take your time, take notes or reread if you don't feel like you've grasped a certain part. best advice is just keep reading the more you read the better you'll get at it.

Shut the FUCK UP! I am sick and tired of hearing this advice. I've lost nights I could've easily be doing improving other aspects of my life but oh no "just read between the lines bro". There is NOTHING inbetween the lines it's just white (and occasionally yellow if it's an older print) you fucking morons!

>How do i get better at analyzing books?
First of all, start by stopping watching stranger shit. Second, learn about character development, characterization, pacing, type of character dimensions, type of genres and read a lot from each, be strict, spot every plot hole and don´t eat shit by letting the plot hole pass if it´s supposed to be relevant to the story. Use the logic and don´t eat shit justifying that "it´s just a fantasy", don´t let your feelings guide you.
Judging by the pic you posted I suppose you are a femanon, so this information is dedicated to men mainly, since 98% of women writers are shit (see Harry Potter, twilight and 50 shades of grey as an example)

6/10. this meme has potential. fwd to senior analyst.

This boy makes me feel so wrong, damn. He's like what, 14?

Are you really implying most male writers aren't shit? lol

t. shit femanon
There are more masterpieces written by men than by women, deal with it

That's not what I meant, you retard. You said most female writers are terrible, which is true, but most male writers are also terrible. You should know this.

The Greeks had it right.

Would he be a good tadzio in a new death in Venice movie

Ikr, I smacked by distraction in the middle of writing it when it was getting really good. God damn it

t. shit femanon
Did you even read my post? J.K Hackling, the fat virgin looking woman who wrote 50 shits of grey and the cucktholic/crhristian who wrote shitlight.
Men, on the other hand: Miguel de Cervantes (wrote a masterpiece), George Orwell (Wrote a masterpiece), J.R.R Tolkien(Wrote 4 masterpieces), Gabriel García Márquez (wrote a masterpiece), Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (wrote a children masterpiece), John Steinbeck (wrote a masterpiece).
Stupid femanon, like always, gets lead by emotions instead of FACTS

Stephanie Meyer is not a Christian, she is a Mormon

Believes in the same shit god, not a difference to me

Do you think someone has ruined him yet?

God, you're retarded.

Not an argument/justification for your claim, just an insult; next.

po-mo?
full-bore?

hello david foster wallace...

That’s why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism. Just a good, simple tale about a man who hates an animal

Start with the greeks and go from there

is it gay to like cute boys i want to see finn nervous in a dress dont worry you look lovely darling

>is it gay
nah

no thats actually gay

I know it will trigger this board, but you should watch the Jordan Peterson "Maps of Meaning" lectures.

Well that's your problem user. I was in your shoes a couple years ago and just forced myself to stop and squeeze my brain really hard for what I think might be going on.

Try to summarize the book, but without summarizing the plot. How do you feel, and did the author do to make you feel that way? What are you thinking, and what did the author do to make you think that way?

Perhaps extend this characters, scenes, subcharacters, subscenes etc.. Basically just TRY and it will come. But as of now, you're glossing over without trying to much. And maybe, just maybe, get some hints from spark notes type reviews.

But if you're a super DUPER retard like me, you can take a mental explatory cruise down this avenue to really improve your fiction reading. For this, brother Nabakov has our backs, pic realted.

In this he will walk you through books and you guys will analyze them together, like real pals. And don't doubt nabakov, he was one of the best writers of his time. It all starts with trying harder though

Don't listen to this.

Depending on what type of book you are reading all you have to do is ask why. There is more than one way to read and also to analyze.

Say you are imagining what you are reading. When you come to some illustrative descriptions try to figure out what other words the author could have used. Try to imagine their distinctions. This will give you appreciation for vocabulary, but it is only a small part of the book. Consider everything the author has done is up for interpretation. That means you can imagine whole scenes differently and with that you can start seeing the craft and purpose. This is simply contrasting a book with its silhouette. Some authors leave little gems which you will only find with this approach.

He's also underage.

>what is wrong with me :|
nothing, as long as he's of legal age

>Marquez
>JRR
>Orwell
Shit taste confirmed.

t. shit femanon who hasn´t read something besides harry potter. Sorry for reading a nobel prize and classic writers instead of your teen dramas; fuck off and go to the kitchen where you belong

>Moby-Dick
>a novel written by a man who desperately wanted to be the American Shakespeare where the ship represents America, the whale trade represents slavery, and the whale represents democracy
>No frou-frou symbolism

What did you mean by this?

It's a Ron Swanson quote

read more and stop looking for shortcuts

t. fag who hasn't even read the greeks

I have, hence, I understand that 98% of women literature sucks, not to metion the 100% of women at wattpad (which is a site of of women and some numales). By the way, the greek authors were men