Where does one start with linguistics?

Where does one start with linguistics?

I'm interested in learning more about it, but it a very large field of study and there seems to be several models that have been superseded by newer theories.

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-are-some-good-resources-for-learning-about-linguistics/answer/Oscar-Tay-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends what you want to learn about. One idea is to start with the smallest unit of language and work your way up from there. Phonology to morphology etc.

Sorting out the different language families is also a good place to start.

bump for knowledge

>Lul
>bypis (The pissing one)

start off by reading about the comparative method and historical linguistics
it's the most interesting part of the field and is a great introduction to the field as a whole

>Pipele

The Horse the Wheel and Language
10/10 book.

I would recommend starting with a general introduction on what linguistics is about, e.g William B. McGregors "Linguistics" (2nd Edition), where the sub-disciplines are explained very well for people new to the field.
Essentially, if you aim more for the theoretical and philosophical approach to language you can read general introductions to semantics, syntax, biolinguistics and philosophy of language.

However, if you want to focus more on the historical development of languages, then get into language learning and, first of all, get a general overview of the world's different language families, as well as the core principles of languages, such as phonetics, phonology, morphology and some syntax. If you want to get into historical linguistics, start studying as many ancient languages as you want to and read about their historical development; this does not only mean that you memorize the historical phonology or whatever, but also that you read about the history and culture of the speakers. Best thing is that there are quite a few language families out there and that you don't have to stick with Indo-European unless you like to (I, for my part, am very interested in Indo-European) but there's other pretty neat stuff out there that has a similar ammount of early written records and ancient languages that you could study (e.g. ancient Semitic languages such as Akkadian, Biblical Hebrew etc.). Good introductions to historical linguistics are Lyle Campbell's "Historical Linguistics" (3rd ed.). He gives a great ammount of Information about the comparative method (used for reconstructing proto-languages) and other important topics.

Source: I study linguistics, Latin and medieval German literature at university.

start with the greeks

(thought i'd get that out of the way. please continue as normal)

Saussure

wtf, no one here says "pipele"

What's your opinion on Wittgenstein as a philosopher of language?

quora.com/What-are-some-good-resources-for-learning-about-linguistics/answer/Oscar-Tay-1

HTH

Yes they do. "Pipele" is related to a penis but it is pissing.

in aragonese is either polla or coda

bybis xDDDDDDDDDDD

This is pretty good, and useful. Do you happen to have a book recommendation that will talk me through all the major sound changes that occurred starting in P.I.E, going all the way to modern English, thus giving me a pretty good idea of how all the other Indo-European languages work?

Sorry, haven't really read his works, I'm mostly into historical linguistics; Indo-European language comparison and such.

I'd recommend that you get started with the Oxford books on phonology if you want to get into English Historical phonology. First, however, you need to learn about the phonology of PIE, which can be looked up in Fortson's "Indo-European Language and Culture" (latest ed. is 2010, but I heard that they'll release another one this year). Then, continue with Don Ringes "A History of English Volume I: From Proto-Indo-European to Proto-Germanic." and work your way up from there.

>fasz
>tool
Go home.

Thank you.