The Republic, abridged -

>The Republic, abridged -

Socrates: Do you know what? *Insert random, ridiculous claim here*, therefore *draws equally random and ridiculous conclusion from the previous statement*.

Mindless Drone: OH MY GREEK GODS, SOCRATES U R SOOOO SMART! THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE. I'M GOING TO GO MAKE OUT WITH THE GROUND U WALK ON NOW, BECAUSE U R JUST THAT AMAZING.

Socrates: Oh, I'm just an innocent, humble philosopher, I don't actually know anything. *wink, wink*

Yeah, right, Socrates. Yeah right.

youre an idiot

Top quality post, screen shoting this masterpiece

Wasn't there some play by Xephones where Socrates teaches that if you lie perfectly still and stare at the sky idea's were just fall into your head and make your smarter.

YES, I REMEMBER THAT!
I think is a play from Xenophont, shit, I have in my books, let me check it.

here

I actualy was thinking about "The Clouds" from Aristophanes. My mistake

You just know that OP is a little Polus-like bitch-boy who thinks he can outwit the master, but if he ever even talked with socrates he'd get his arse handed to him and then end up chasing Socrates' dick around Athens like every other youth a the time.

>leans into the mic
Plato, pull up that scroll where I talk about knowledge. No, the one where I'm with Glaucon. Man, what if we all lived in a cave and everything we perceive is like shadows from a fire? And if you got out of the cave and saw things as they are, people would think you're crazy? That's SO weird to think about.
>stares absentmindedly for a second
Did you see that Barbarian wrestler they brought from Libya last week? Dude, that guy is a fucking BEAST

>Socrates: Oh, I'm just an innocent, humble philosopher, I don't actually know anything. *wink, wink*

kek

The Western canon was doomed from the start. Read Onfray.

>watches conspiracy plays once
They're lying to you Socrates! The earth is flat!
The Persians faked the Pontoon bridge across the Hellespont, TWICE!

Reminder that Plato made this shit up and the "Socrates" in this book is just his sock puppet with no connection to the original.

*blocks ur path*
BEHOLD, A MAN

I fucking hate this board

If Socrates said that you would agree.

True

You got memed on by the master memer. Go read Hippias Minor and the second half of Phaedrus.

Socrates was the OG Sam Hyde.

>read French Richard Dawkins

no thanks

>says poems and plays should be outlawed
>in what is really just a fictional story
But of course the wise Socrates (Plato) was only pretending to be retarded. would he have held such contempt for poets if Aristophanes hadn’t made Socrates look like a fool? Same for Plato’s contempt for democracy, democracy having killed Socrates. Either way Plato was a fag.

That post was about joe Rogan. Sam Hyde on JRE when??

the republic is literally just plato saying he should be at the top of society protected by the guardians and the people who participate in democracy should be under him
the original neet fanfic

It's the first dystopian fiction

tbf most of the Greek philosophers hated democracy. The way Socrates behaved and fought bravely for Athens I suspect he may have been an exception. At least until he got fucked. But we'll never know since all we have is Plato's self insert fiction.

This. Platonic thought held western civilization back for many centuries. What an asshole.

If Plato was alive today he'd be writing about white privilege and communism on tumblr

If Plato were alive today his name would be Jordan Peterson :)

Fun fact: Socrates' trial was decided by two votes, one to convict and a second vote to determine the sentence. More people voted to give him the death sentence than voted to convict him in the first place because he had the audacity to suggest that his "punishment" should be free meals in the communal meal hall, a privilege reserved for heroes.

>because he had the audacity to suggest that his "punishment" should be free meals in the communal meal hall, a privilege reserved for heroes.
Absolutely based

the chad socrates vs the virgin plato

tsundere socrates

This but unironically.

this but unironically

This, but only ironically

who is the greek zizek then

>m-muh immutable ancient bullshit

*Turns to the audience and rolls his eyes*
*Canned laughter and applause erupts*
You're a classic cynical dude! Haha! What detached wisdom you have!

At least Diogenes was funny

Is OP a faggot?
>Not necessarily
Does OP suck cock?
>I see no reason why not
And all things that are cocksucking are homosexual?
>Certainly
Although we can say that women who are cocksuckers are not homosexual - such is their function
>Very well
Then a cocksucker who is also a man must be a homosexual?
>I find no reason to disagree, but what does this have to do with our discussion?
A moment, Adeimantus. Now, are there women on the internet?
>There are not
Then OP must be a man
>He must
Then OP is both a man and a cocksucker, so according to our discussion previous, surely it follows that he is a homosexual?
>Naturally
And is a faggot not merely a homosexual by another name?
>It is
Then is not OP a faggot?
>ADEIMANTUS laughs: very well, Socrates, you have bested me on this point. Carry on, then - how does this relate to justice?

And philosophy is a shitshow ever since

I'm halfway through this thing. That appears to be what it is so far. It's pretty boring honestly. I'm forcing my way through it. There are some good thoughts contained within it, sure, but other than that..

Why is this thing required Western reading?

good post

>Although we can say that women who are cocksuckers are not homosexual - such is their function
Wasn't oral sex actually taboo in classical Greece? Or am I thinking of Rome

>implying

Inertia. It hugely influenced western thought for centuries even if it did it in a largely negative way imo. it will help you have an understanding of many later philosophers as well as the historical course of influential organizations like the Roman Catholic Church.

Lol he basically said "i know you want to banish me but i wont offer that punishment because you faggots want it. How about you give me life long welfare instead"

Joe Rogan?

I wish Joe would read philosophy instead of pop science/psychology

fucking kek

non

Just read the Allan Bloom edition's preface if you want a good intoduction

yupp
I laughed out loud several times while reading The Republic

How is Milo like Plato?

>Platonic thought held western civilization back for many centuries. What an asshole.

People didn't need Plato to justify their lust for power. When I read the Republic I got a sense that Plato's idea is unfairly maligned. Unless my translation was bad I believe it was understood to be entirely theoretical since no such city is possible. If I remember rightly he just ends up saying the pattern of that ideal government may be written in the stars and that we should look up in anticipation and try to model our own personal lives on the hierarchy of the Republic. It honestly sounded like a foreshadowing of Christianity and the New Jerusalem and rule of the saints at the end more than a blueprint for tyrants in the real world.

But it's been years. I'll need to read it again.

Pretty sure that image is meant to disgust you like that meme where someone purposely says 'for all intense and purposes' or some shit. But that is explaining the joke so forget I just said this.

>It honestly sounded like a foreshadowing of Christianity and the New Jerusalem and rule of the saints at the end
Yes exactly, horrible things that held western civilization back for many centuries.