I see Hegel pop up alot, but what is his philosophy actually about? What will i get out of reading him?

I see Hegel pop up alot, but what is his philosophy actually about? What will i get out of reading him?

Other urls found in this thread:

rhulphilsoc.wordpress.com/hegelintroduction/hegels-preface-part-i/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You will either understand or not understand Hegel.

Self-consciousness

Accepting that everything is how it is supposed to be

This applies to everything

yes, but especially to Hegel

So he builds on Leibniz?

You won't "get" anything. That's not the point.

He turned Leibniz' German optimism into a science; however, phenomenology of spirit is just one application of the science.

its a meme

i dont think anyone here even reads

Master and slave dialectic is pure genius.

Hhm

It especially applies to Catholicism desu. Those who aren't Catholic just don't truly get it.

He invented start with the Greeks.

holy shit kek

thanks for this

Dense verbal wizadry
if youre asking
>What will i get out of reading him?
dont even bother-- hes pretty much a religious mystic

He's interesting but dialectics is bunk.

upvoted

Imagine Marxist Dialectics, except you will not be wrong about literally everything, only occasionally something unimportant.

you’re such a faggot

Self-consciousness is coming to realize itself, through the other, as a reflection of itself.
Absolute Spirit is, therefore, with understanding all of its movements through history and all of the differentations of experience, as itself.

Spirit comes to see its own movement of all throughout history as the Self-reflecting into itself trying to recognize itself. In this sense, once fully realized, one sees the beginning as the end and the end as the beginning.

which is why Statist constitutional Monarchism based on the Prussian model is the ultimate form of life, got it

Just to add some advice before I go: For anyone reading Hegel, you're not going to get it the first time. But I will say that in order to understand Hegel, you ironically first have to understand what he is trying to explain in his section of "Absolute Knowing". When you get a grasp of what he is getting at, only then does his seemingly incomprehensible language make sense.

read philosophy of right instead of Marx' brainlet-tier (((critique))), faggot

People think freedom is having lots of possible choices, you go to a food court in LA and you know, you got McDonalds, Bob's, Jack in the Box, Wendy's, all sorts of burgers whereas in areas with low freedom we might picture a soviet style 'one brand burger', you have no choice
Well, what situation has the most freedom is certainly obvious, right? Not quite, because I'm sitting here eating McDonald's feeling like I had a choice when really I walked in and, not caring much but hungry for some tasty fries, I walked to the golden arches
For years I've been watching commercials and recently I was humming that 'buhduh duh duh duhhh imlovinit' jingle to myself in the car - Freedom to Hegel isn't just about the number of choices but the self knowledge of why we might pick what we do and the forces that compel us

Beyond the individual though, Hegel is best known for the dialectic of societal advancement (captured commonly in thesis-antithesis-synthesis)
Hegel is best known for the philosophy of societies progress towards freedom, embodied by self knowledge, and more than his own work - the practical applications his philosophy produced [spoiler: it's marx]

he builds on wolff tbqh senpai

>Beyond the individual though, Hegel is best known for the dialectic of societal advancement (captured commonly in thesis-antithesis-synthesis)
>thesis-antithesis-synthesis
Marxist detec-
>Hegel is best known for the philosophy of societies progress towards freedom, embodied by self knowledge, and more than his own work - the practical applications his philosophy produced [spoiler: it's marx]

If you actually care about the self knowledge of why, out of all the ideologues you might be compelled to follow, you 'picked' Marxism, you should try reading some Hegel. In terms of understanding the logic of determinate negation science of logic is a good start.

while he is doing many things, Hegel is attempting to pave the way towards the possibility of Absolute knowledge and in a more radical sense he contends that
it is something that can be explicitly spoken of and grasped by the ordinary person. he is trying to show how the acorn becomes a tree.

>he is trying to show how the acorn becomes a tree.
And that the 'truth' of the tree is neither the acorn, nor the full-grown tree, nor any one state in between the two, but the process through which the system of acorn tree-dom iterates and transforms itself.

OP: Go to this website which is a summation of notes taken by members of the Royal Holloway, University of London's Philosophy Society on Hegel's Phenomenology and have a read, they were immensely useful for me, link below.

rhulphilsoc.wordpress.com/hegelintroduction/hegels-preface-part-i/

This looks excellent, bookmarked

>mfw some clumsy self-important charlatan bumbles his way through an exercise in sophistry known as the Theory of the Dialectic

>Those who aren't protestant just don't truly get it
Why even make a statement like this

I don't agree with a good portion of what Hegel says, but Schopenhauer is worthless

t. roastie

It’s amazing how many words you people can say without saying a single substantative word.

This thread is infested bottom to top with pseuds

Nietzsche would agree he is almost worthless and a faggot

>mfw i scan down shopes crotch expecting owo wats dis
>instead find... nothing. like a ken doll.
no wonder he was eternally mad about roasties. i bet he was insufferable and i would refuse to hang out with him after a few minutes of being his acquaintance.