One's full throttle action and the other is Indiana Jones tier adventure schenanigans

>one's full throttle action and the other is Indiana Jones tier adventure schenanigans.

SO THIS IS THE POWER OF FOUNDATIONS OF WESTERN LITERATURE

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j6srl
youtube.com/watch?v=q6zds_956No
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2deep4u

>full throttle action
yeah, those ten pages of listing fucking ships and officers sure got my adrenaline going

wtf there's an omnibus version of fagles? must be t h i c c

and yea OP of course the first literature worth discussing is about legendary heroes and the heroic.

Then read Virgil's Aeneid and Le Guin's Lavinia

I think you're supposed to just scan through those parts quickly

That part was probably one of the more interesting/important for ancient Greek readers/listeners

I found that it had almost no effect on understanding the rest of the story.

please fucking die you stupid bitch

The story of Achilles rage? No it didn't
The story of the heroic age of Greece? Yes it did

>Fagles

cont. but it does lend the sense of the scope of the battle and I can understand if an ancient person was actually familiar with the particular tribes and regions it would mean something more.

That part is like posturing, look how many ships they had lol so epic.
It's obvious homeric wankery

>not being able to appreciate the autism.
I even wrote that shit on the paper when I first read it and made autistic family graphs

uhmmmm....no, sweetie

We're you able to trace your family back to one of the heroes?

did this war actually happen or is this just a myth?

Please fucking read the books, you stupid fucking bitch

There probably was a Trojan war fought by a Greek collective, but it likely about trade not Helen.
The poem is fiction though, and that's the way Homer "wrote" it.

Hey guys, I'm about to start reading the Iliad but I'm not sure whether to go with Fagles or Lattimore. Any advice?

Very much myth. Likely a series of raids on various towns.

Read this book for that.

Read the one in Wikisource. I did this. It was a good read.

Lattimore if you aren't a brainlet

is the fagles translation that bad? Which translation did you read?

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j6srl

It's not the one they read in HS, so they trash it as sounding to modern/accessible. More squealing froggers. Read some comparisons and don't sweat it too much.

The trojan war was actually fought by blacks and the white man tired to steal credit for it.

>TOO modern/accessible

Thank for the info, i downloaded both pdfs and was comparing them earlier today. Just wanted to get some more opinions. You're that name trip poster right lel? Which translation did you read?

I've been looking at this map for ten minutes. Good shit user.

Whichever you prefer. You should read them both though.

>he didn't even get past the catalog of ships
TOP F'IN LEL
back to sparknotes.com with you, rude pseud!
i'll see you in the audiobook section, my guy!

if every Veeky Forumsizen read Sparknotes of the books they read (instead of reading the book) they'd actually understand the books (they didn't read) better though.

Applies for SEP too.

That's just an Englihtenment-era meme.

I did get the Fagles. Though I am interested in Merrill editions.

I have the Fitzgerald Aeneid, but that might have been a hasty purchase. Oh well.

Interesting, I'm not familiar with the Merrill editions though.

You know in rap songs where they shout out a bunch of other rappers and cities?

youtube.com/watch?v=q6zds_956No

It's basically the Archaic Greek equivalent of that. Not even memeing, I understood it so much better when I looked at it this way.

Stop responding to tripcunts

kek

You are CRAMPING MY STYLE

>>schenanigans
t. middle-aged Murican manchild gamer

I unironically agree with this. The Iliad really makes sense when you see it as the ur-example of all the tropes it exemplifies. It's Ancient Greek Dragon Ball Z plus The Avengers plus rap plus everything else.

for real though, it seems that's not only what it is, but what it's fully intended to be
they constantly cite the lineage, background, birthplace, family ties etc. of anyone in the story who is deemed worthy of their deeds' retelling
it's basically "dis nigga from uptown detroit buss'ed a cap in dis nigga who's daddy wuz frum da souf side"

You also have to keep in mind that a ῥαψῳδός would often sing this at feasts, so noblemen could bragg how mighty their ancestors were

vai tomar no meio do seu cuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

It would, if you were Greek.

This user is based.

>tfw don't remember 80% of those names
I wish I wasn't such a massive fuckimg plebeian

>spoilering nigga

You can't use that word if you aren't African-American, nigga