How did he create such an unique prose style?

How did he create such an unique prose style?

By being a bumbling retard.

>BBBRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Lots of copying and pasting.
Practice I mean.

Artistic trick of the trade.

>Open Portrait of the Artist
>Baby Tuckoo
>Moocow
Stop reading this trash author right there.

shut the fuck up
methane poisoning, id est a radioactive dingleberry

>Tells the Joyce of the age to stfu
Of course.

One time I wrote something in first year English at the University of Toronto.

I received a 100% on it with a comment from the T.A.

'Have you heard of James Joyce? You're stylistically very similar. Speak to me next tutorial.'

I did not go to one more tutorial, and I quit writing. Below is the piece she commented on.

“Kiss me! Kiss me! You’ll do nothing wrong the sooner you kiss me! James! I need all of this! This hiding in the bastion has got me sick. I’d rather burn than see myself grow old with him, and this seems less likely the case with you. Do you not want a secret to hide? Something to keep us up at night, I say! Less than quicksilver the ideal, of course. I’m growing awfully tired. I’ll try not to suck my thumb, but I must ponder! What’s so great about India? Are they too busy flying kites to even notice we are gone? That must be it! The summoned serpents seem to be the only ones doing as they’re told, and that’s by way of flute! Am I inaudible to you James? Am I insane? Look at me James. Fetch me another poppy, one that is in full bloom.”

feminists need to be thrown in deep sea lockers

I quit reading Ulysses after I got to the part where stephen is playing piano (?) in a brothel(?) and there's lots of stephenesque shit going on.

I realised this shit is way above my head and I'm just not getting anything out of it right now.

Maybe I'll return to it when I don't have fucking uni shitting on my life.

Kek, it's hilarious how easily any board can get baited by a trip, let alone a """"""femanon""""""

>Makes a case for artistic methods
>Brings up feminism

Ignorant oaf

No one gets even 10% of that chapter the first time they read it
Keep going, Ithaca is waiting you

is everything he ever wrote nullified by the fact that he let his waifu brap in his face?

Breddy gud, nix some exclamation points. Im into it

He took certain latent qualities in the English novel and realized them to their fullest potential. Literally realized them. Free-indirect discourse and first person had been a thing in novels for a long time, but it rarely had the actual texture of the forms of thought it pretended to assume.

Naturalism was very much a live moment in Ireland at the period. George Moore was knocking around. It was Joyce's genius to extend naturalism to the matter of form. His work is also not all that different from impressionism in the visual arts.

He was also very technically gifted, and he worked to the exclusion of almost everything else in his life.

He tried too hard to be abstruse, like any pseud writer of the 20th century who cannot shine through, say, storytelling or insight into the life from his works. He's an overrated piece of rubbish whose "greatest works" got quickly popular, being mindlessly praised by brainlet pseuds and braindead simpletons for their obscurity and nothing more. His greatest """"""merit"""""" is having formed mumbojumbish portmanteaus, with a pen in one hand and a dictionary in the other, if I may add, and empty alliterations comprised of invented words-because-bear in mind, the dude was such a brainlet he couldn't even use one cromulent word as part of an alliteration and most of them are given up as soon as they are picked up, that's how you end up with lazy garbage like "shen or chen" or "alltitude and malltitude", "humpteen dumpteen" which, btw, means nothing it's only in there for the """aesthetics""".
The litcrits know well that-not liking some particular writing or writer, but pretending to be obsessed with it grants you an intellectual reputation, they know the dumb normies will look at their larp with bewilderment and ask themselves "What the heck does this guy see here? Is this beyond my capacity? Oh, yaddah, yaddah, me brainlet so must be so." Seriously just look at Bloom and how wet he's going over Shakespeare. Is this not proof that literature is making him feel superior emotions? Don't you just feel like a brainlet or a soullet when you get compared to him?
The pseud Joyce scholars will always find MEANINGS OF UNSPEAKABLE DEPTH HURR DURR IT'S PURE GENIUS HE'S SO BRILLIANT WE'RE JUST A BUNCH OF TARDED BRAINLETS COMPARED TO HIM GUYS WE HAVE TO MASTURBATE AT EVERY WORD HE SAID YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MERELY COMPREHENDING HIM IS SUCH A DIFFICULT TASK! THEREFORE HE HAS TO BE A GOD OF WRITING AMIRITE? HAHAHA HOW I LOVE JAMES JOYCE, OMG HOW GENIAL WAS JAMES JOYCE!
"Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted." No truer words have been spoken. But sure, user, his style was unique. Yeah. Of course it was. He tried damn hard to make it unique for like, 17 years. Please just accept for once and forever that Joyce is a hack and stop with the fart jokes, you're giving him too much attention. He deserves to be erased.

Terrible myth.

That's really kind of you.

yes

>cromulent
you need to go back

Heh.

At least you're smart enough not to dismiss it because of the difficulty. You got pretty far on your first try, the first time I only made it to chapter three. When you have time you will go back and love it.

He did not "quickly become popular". His obituary was something of a bum note in The Times. It was so unnoticeable that T.S Eliot despaired, claiming he deserved more recognition. Also, Joyce spent most of his life trying to escape poverty, and although Ulysses is lauded now, it was subject to much derision upon publication.

Why did you quit writing?

Through the strange combination of growing up in a Bog, contracting syphilis and having a narrow field of vision by wearing an eye-patch.

I bet you've read a Woolf book and tore it apart with your amazing male wit!

Anyone else think he went a little too far with being experimental? Am I a pleb for just wishing he wrote novels in the Dubliners style with a few flourishes here and there?

By getting drunk and writing run-on sentences.

this but unironically

Idk even know fucking know what prose is,broes as it masturbatory, or demanditory to be good to suck on bitches and hoes stinky little toes?

OMG HE IS HAXXOR!!111111!!!1!!11

)You(

Joyce's detractors: he no use big word close book grug angry nao

>everything that triggers me is bait!

I like it, user!

By the power of 'lovely farties' inhalation.

by being a borderline schizophrenic genius

Shut up nigger

user, it's horrible. It's just so bad.
Did you write it ironically or something?

I'm not good looking enough.

No, I did not write it to make people laugh. It was an earnest attempt at writing something interesting. Some stream of consciousness experiment.

It was meant to be part of a larger story of an unwell woman in an asylum, but that story has been told one million times so I decided against going further.

How could I improve?

It's just a paragraph of penguin of DoOm levels of "random xD;" the "good" prose is just phrases copied - subconsciously, I'm unironically sure - from literature.

Keep going the way you're going. The above is just me being more bitter than honest. Learn and read other languages or just do what Veeky Forums would call "trying too hard/being a pseud."

I believe I am too lazy to pursue any sort of story writing. I found writing song lyrics was quick and easy, and allowed me to still write. My singing is quite bad, and guitar has been a pain to pick up the past 6 months, but it allows me to create. I would never call myself a musician, but I like to think I am some sort of 'writer', however bad I may be. Here is a song I wrote the other day.

Our dumb Canadian sky
Flickers out before it’s night time
The metal pull chain dangling right before our eyes

It is always there for taking
We are unwell, sick, and shaking
We were everything we wanted to be fine

You’re feeling real disfigured
Separating out not inward
Your sleeves are always longer than your arms

—————

Deserving what is coming
Anchoritic future fumbling
To the forefront of my damned and rotten mind

I’ll be alone inside some attic
Unable to wreak my havoc
Against an unsuspecting, unpolluted mind

That is where I am belonging
Locked away to suffer longing
Keep you far from me, I need to serve my time

A decade of reading, taking notes, and writing.

And of course being a high IQ individual.

>being iliterate

"Kiss me! Kiss me! You'll do nothing wrong the sooner you kiss me, James! I need it! This hiding in the bastion has got me sick, and I'd rather burn than see myself grow old with him. Do you not want a secret to hide? Something to keep us up at night? Am I inaudible to you James? Am I insane? Look at me, James. I'm growing awfully tired. Fetch me another poppy, one that is in full bloom."

That's how I would edit that. I think there's something there, it's a shame you don't write anymore.

>Am I inaudible to you, James?
made sense only in the light of that portion you cut

The point is that it's from the perspective of a child and therefore uses juvenile language

why the fuck hasnt someone posted his fart erotica yet you noobs

This. Joyces work, especially later work, is a big linguistic collage. Theres hardly a line in Ulysses that isnt a paraphrase of something else. This is actually an extremely diffuclt way of developing style and nbody can do it now because of attention deficit and general ignorance

Be honest with you, Veeky Forums, he was dumber and less talented than you

methane intake