Oldfags of Veeky Forums, what do you miss about Veeky Forums?

Oldfags of Veeky Forums, what do you miss about Veeky Forums?
Do you think nu-Veeky Forums is worse than old-Veeky Forums?
What was Veeky Forums obsessed with back then?

Veeky Forums was never a static place

Nostalgia is the only thing that keeps your false dream alive

I don't believe Veeky Forums, or any board on Veeky Forums, is doomed to get worse and worse. I think it all depends on circumstances and the ebb and flow of events and influences.

Some boards have actually gotten better after getting worse. /co/, for example, is much better now than it was 2013. And I actually think Veeky Forums is better now than it was about six months ago.

I honestly miss the Catholic spam from a few years ago, it was some of the most reasoned and erudite discussion of Catholicism I've had on the internet.

>autists are able to make Roman propaganda that's been bastardized a thousand times look reasoned and erudite

i think i changed more than Veeky Forums, some of my fun memories of Veeky Forums like 5 years ago was arguing marxist shit, but these days i don't give a shit and could never get engaged in a sincere thread of that shit, but there isn't really anything to replace it, i mostly just come for offtopic threads and "write whats on your mind" to shoot the shit with relatively erudite ppl in a place where we don't have to self-censor ourselves

i remember the first few weeks, we called ourselves c/lits/ and the first meme was lovecraft smiling

people didn't take things as seriously

most threads were "i like x book, what should i read next"

it was fun, but there wasn't much quality conversation going on desu

also, this thread got me curious about when Veeky Forums was created

1/25/10. it's been 8 years, lads

ok cool i feel better, cuz i was always said that i didn't go on Veeky Forums when i was in college in the 2000s, but now i find it doesn't exist and there's at least one less regret to haunt me

it was the same threads for a week

i miss bullying butterfly. trip butterfly isn't the same. ;_;

I would say none of these boards change, rather your perspective of them changes. For example, at one point you might have liked the content on lit, but after a while the same content starts to annoy you.

That guy who pretended to be all those different people said he left. I also miss the pynchon poster.
One thing that was definitely better is politics were never randomly brought up in irrelevant threads. Something I find unbearable is when obvious /pol/ users start talking about amerimutt problems for no reason. Old Veeky Forums had its own problems but looking back on it I liked those too.

yeah, Veeky Forums got me to GR when i first came here, i heard some snarky post making fun of "some bohemian fresh out of college declaring that GR blew their mind" or something, and I was like ... and what is this? then I read it, and it blew my mind, then i went in threads about it and discussed it, but now like 5 years later i'm kind of done discussing it...i started reading city of god when that catholic kid was spamming, but god that shit is tedious, and now he disappeared (notice along with the catholic spammer the ultra-prolific anti-semite also disappeared? could they be one in the same? evidence points to yes) i wish i could get memed into reading something rad again, but idk

pssst read brideshead revisited you faggot

One of the fun things about Veeky Forums when it was slower was the little communtiy vibe. It got pretty fucking boring when you existed all the threads and had to wait 24 hours for some faggot to reply though. Tripfags had more clout on account of their being less of an anonymous tide to drown in.

I think 2011-2012 Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums in general had a kind of carefree jubilant vibe at the time. Felt a little more cosy. The neurotic obsession with Ayn Rand was tiresome, but also kinda charming. I think Veeky Forums was a little more myopic back then though, not just in its hatreds but its points of interest. I just remember DFW (when his suicide was still fresh), Pynchon and Joyce over and over and over. Marxism. Newfags talking about dystopian novels. I was deeply underage and less well-read at the time though so it might be that a lot of it just went over my head.

TELL ME ABOUT JULIUS EVOLA

2011-2012 /sp/ and Veeky Forums were the peaks of human society

pic related is 2012 Veeky Forums incarnate

there used to be girls on here

when monsieur guy talked to offboarders

>nietzschefedora.jpg
/r/ing this

It's actually deeply interesting to me that Veeky Forums was then, and even seems to be now, visibly ahead of public intellectual discourse, such as it is in the modern West. We were talking about Spengler and Evola years before they got name-dropped by Steve Bannon and showed up in the New York Times. Now it seems like Peterson is hitting the mainstream, but he's been on Veeky Forums since at least 2015. This place remains a fairly reliable leading indicator of intellectual trends.

I miss Isabelle Huppert.

>late 2013-2014 content
>peak 2012
Stop larping, reddit. It's not endearing.

It's not about when it was made it's about whar it references, basically everything on the comic is what I remember from 2012

>Spengler and Evola are very obscure thinkers nobody but Veeky Forums knew about
>Bannon namedropping something is "intellectual trend"
>internet board knew about youtube celeb before the rest of the world - a miracle
The only stable trend here is that this place is steadily moving away from being a semi-decent refuge for autistic well educated 20-30 year olds and into another /pol/ colony full of barely sentient adolescents like you.

Literally none of the things in the pic except for Tao Lin were exclusive to some particular period. All of them are everpresent on Veeky Forums. Only Taipei was shilled in 13-14. Again, stop larping.

I guess I'm not good at keeping track of dates. Still feels like moot only left a year ago.

who is moot?

I also got memed into reading GR. What a trip. I miss the old atmosphere, and I suppose some of it had to do with me being younger and new to a lot of literature, but also, it was a little different with books like the meme trilogy getting spammed. I remember a while ago that there were attempts to start a new meme trilogy but it never had the same momentum if I recall.

I remember the Tiny Chat threads. Is there still a discord or chat that people talk in?

>Oldfags of Veeky Forums, what do you miss about Veeky Forums?
Had a more distinct board culture then

>Do you think nu-Veeky Forums is worse than old-Veeky Forums?
Of course, Veeky Forums lobotomized Veeky Forums and post-2016 Veeky Forums sucks desu

>What was Veeky Forums obsessed with back then?
Christianity vs Atheism was pretty big back then, christfagging was more cancerous. But what a surprise when Kekism became a thing in /pol/, these people suddenly vanished.

There used to be a guy on here called Tom Harper who used images of David Mitchell as his "profile pic" on every post. I wonder what happened to him.

I miss huge orson welles threads
And while this isn't exclusive to Veeky Forums, I miss seeing travellers pass from board to board asking what each board's memes were.

I miss our sister-boardship with /x/. Comfy Lovecraft and horror short story threads all day.

And also Brownbear, who had pretty regular Veeky Forumscore taste but got me into Astronautalis. Fucking tripfags...

Parodic opinions of texts and authors by posters who had obviously read the texts and really knew all about the authors. But perhaps it's good that posters don't care so much about their contributions anymore. There's far less pressure here than there once was.

damn nigga
slicin up illusions with yo machete

I don't miss anything. I grew up, went to college and grad school for my MFA and then PhD, and now working in a mainstream book publishing company in Manhattan, have a girlfriend who is a pediatrician, and am publishing my work in literary magazines and online publications like LitHub.

nice fiction

/nu-lit/ and /old-lit/ are both designed to make mediocre white guys feel good about themselves.

Still using the same tools of misogyny and racism to get the job done.

>nietzchefedora.jpg
This always makes me laugh

>Bashes white people for no reason
>Muh misogyny
>Muh racist.
Really makes you think

The problem with the new Veeky Forums, just like with the entire new Veeky Forums, is that it's getting overridden by the new generation, born after the year 2000. We, the previous generation, grew up along with the development of the Internet and, while we were the ones who explored its potential and really took control of it, we ultimately realized that it is not much more than some kind of game, a place where you were supposed to go and do whatever you wanted to do for your entertainment and just that. We had seen a little of the world without the internet, so we realized that there is a boundary delimiting it from the online world.
But these new kids have been raised with the Internet already at full power. They take things too seriously. We used to laugh at those fags who went to meet-ups or at the 9gagers with their le army trololo, but now the new guys print fucking flags of their very own online country and post their shitty pepes everywhere they go to signal they are from Veeky Forums. There is no more irony anymore.
Of course, you all know what board I am referring to when saying these, but you can also see how this kind of people is spreading across all boards, disallowing all fun that is not in concordance with their ideals and warding off all newcomers who don't immediately realize what we're all about here.

/k/ has gotten much worse and will only decline

Great analysis.
So is there another place where genuine discussion happens?

Like all hobbyboards once you get the jist of it it's just the same shit over and over again. You come, get the basic info and leave.

The Philmarillon really captured the magic with /sp/ imo

im a newfag so

lol

So that is why c/lit/s made charts...

desu we all kinda knew this was coming

I miss Stirner posting

Anybody has a screencap of this?

back in my day there were constant threads about the most-talked books in Veeky Forums (the trilogy, for instance) and people actually discussed it. Unfortunately I had not read those books back then, but lurked those threads anxious to read them. Now people barely discuss them anymore and I have given up since in a Ulysses thread, for instance, 90% of replies are retards that haven't read it and call everyone that says they've enjoyed it pretentious or CoC/pol/peterson posters derailing it by memeing into oblivion

>/co/mblr
opinion discarded

You know what I miss? Serious discussion, not memes, discussion about the themes of the book, different interpretations, critics, food for thought.

Go to bed, Tao.

I miss when /pol/tards were ignored and we could actually talk about actual left-wing stuff and not American "left-wing" garbage.

t. untermensch

>I miss when /pol/tards were ignored and we could actually talk about actual left-wing stuff and not American "left-wing" garbage.
you're right m9 meet me at the reichstag, i'll register us for 9am

Old times.

stop stacking disses like a vox protest article nobody thinks ur smart u goofy satan spook.

I got memed into Stoner and am I glad I did.

I also got memed into Chesterton's Orthodoxy and it was shit. Catholic recommendations always seem to be terrible.