I've read a little over half of the stories in this book, and almost all of them seem very pointless...

I've read a little over half of the stories in this book, and almost all of them seem very pointless. Gilgamesh was disappointing as hell. The flood was okay. My main problem is that the characters do these huge things, like setting out on a quest to cut down a pine forest or kill somebody's sons, for no apparent reason. There is no clear motive for their actions. It leaves me very confused. Am I just retarded?

Maybe it's just evidence that the art of storytelling as we know it is the result of thousands of years of evolution and refinement. Maybe Gilgamesh is a great book in the same way that Charlie Chaplin movies are great movies. Worth reading, very important, but not that good compared to things that came after them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XyZZ6lG0uZM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Charlie Chaplin

But Chaplin is still great even when I watch him now. Much of the shitty comedies coming out nowadays are hinged on endless pop culture references that will be outdated in a few decades, while the Tramp is eternal.

>the book you need to read

I just skimmed the wikipedia article
Seems great, I'll add it to my list!

>Maybe Gilgamesh is a great book in the same way that Charlie Chaplin movies are great movies. Worth reading, very important, but not that good compared to things that came after them.
City Lights is a GOAT candidate movie.

>Maybe it's just evidence that the art of storytelling as we know it is the result of thousands of years of evolution and refinement. Maybe Gilgamesh is a great book in the same way that Charlie Chaplin movies are great movies. Worth reading, very important, but not that good compared to things that came after them.
People will call you a pleb for this, but yes. Ancient stories are very rarely "good." Most of the enjoyment of reading them comes from the fact that it's cool to read something extremely old and get a window into a distant culture.

Why are so many people getting enjoyment from the Bible?

that type of shit didn't happen until cervantes wrote don Quixote op

Yeah, that's definitely why I'm still reading
I read a book about Egyptian myth and that shit was fucking weird. There are some very strange stories there.

Idk, I love the stories from Ancient Greece, even though tragic theater and oral tradition is a little different from the format of a novel. Many (if not most) of the characters had really good reasons for their actions and the stories had actual arcs.

But the mesopotamian stories were as old to Homer as Homer is to us.

it's fantastic

Its more or less The Pentateuch for Retards.

Can somebody please tell me what bible to read?

Unironically kjv but your mother's one will do.

Buster Keaton > Charlie Chaplin

Both are GOATs tho.

KJV or you may as well not bother

I agree with this but Gilgamesh still had a pretty profound emotional effect on me. You can guess what part.

oxford annotated bible for scholarly accuracy + kjv for literary value. yes you need both.

>There is no clear motive for their actions. It leaves me very confused. Am I just retarded?

You have to understand that the ancients didn't have genres of literature. Gilgamesh is history, religion, fiction, myth, philosophy, comedy, tragedy, etc. all at once.

If you read it thinking you're reading one thing or another, you are bound to get confused or disappointed. It requires a special sort of reading to truly enjoy. One that takes in the text without imposing modern categories or expectations.

I really liked the Great Dictator

that makes sense, I'll keep that in mind as I continue reading. It's truly impressive given the amount of information people had.

I read Gilgamesh for an online, really enjoyed it. Funnier than I expected, with all the bro shit. Felt like JoJo to me for some reason. I reckon the course's lectures are worthwhile. They're unlisted so you'll have to go on EdX to watch the rest (HUM12.1x: Ancient Masterpieces of World Literature)

youtube.com/watch?v=XyZZ6lG0uZM

I read The Epic of Gilgamesh as a philosophical exploration of what it means to be human.

>Enkidu getting civilized by degrees

>Gilgamesh exceeding the limits of humanity leading to the death of his other

>Gilgamesh succumbing to bestial savagery (exploring the lower bounds of humanity)

>Man dies, but mankind lives forever with the help of cities.

I could go on.

>Funnier than I expected, with all the bro shit. Felt like JoJo to me for some reason.

I really love when they first meet and become friends. Truly great.

Yeah, I think it's one of the best and first reflection on the city versus the countryside; king against peasants, etc.