As far as I can tell...

As far as I can tell, the 21st Centuries paramount question to be answered--that will define this time period--is: In western civilization, what is going to be our moral compass? Since Nietzsche has destroyed what we've believed for 2000 years, and his predicted nihilism ensued--what will be next? Is the Ubermensch a tenable solution--I'm skeptical; or, are we going to revert back to pre-Christian, no illusion necessary "might is right" domination games?--that may manifest as a Brave New World type of control. Are these two possibilities even distinguishable from one another?

Are there any other possibilities that I'm missing?
Is it Ubermensch or slave...

I think there are two possiblities.

> Nihilism. Nothing matters in the grand scheme of things anyway. If the universe at its core is just an order of particles, is one order any more "good" than the other? This would lead to the pre-christian problem you spoke about. Nothing is good, just enjoy the game while you're here.

> There is meaning. As the universe is concerned, it is all these particles, but we are not the universe itself, we are people and we have ethics. As such, there is a universal good and actual virtues. Personally, I think this would lead to a return back to an early twentieth-century morality, largely built on Christian values, or at least dependent on religion.

It is anyone's guess here. Personally, I am leaning towards the idea that we will drift further into nihilism.

Anyone else feel intense melancholy from this pic?

Ya man. The state of the world.
We need our best brains on this crisis

The lil frog will be euthanized.

I came to Veeky Forums specifically for this image, I've seen it around here a lot lately but always forgot to save it.
thanks OP

/pol/ has elected a president. It will likely decide the rest of human history as well.

muh western civilization is going to be China's bitch in 50 years. Mark my words.

It's only a thumbnail, here's the full version

Nope
China won't be a superpower in 50 years.

Maybe in Drumpf's amerikkka.

Return to Aristotle

buying up industries and property in the west while banning private property and requiring foreign companies operating domestically to mantain partnership w/ a national is pretty smart but the only people who believe china will be #1 in the foreseeable future are those people who have no experience at all with China

i hate Jordan Peterson so fucking much, and honestly I hate frog posters now too

you dont have to be mean :^(

Ok maybe not 50 years, more than that. Besides China's growth is not the only reason why they could become #1, there's also the possibility that the West will deindustrialize.

>Tfw you realize the ubermensch crypto-christian nietzsche wanted was Kierkegaard the whole time, Nietzsche had just never heard of him because who gives a fuck about Denmark

Fuck western civilization, the biggest question that is being asked is what to become of humanity? We are on the path toward scientific discoveries that will change humanity as a whole forever, and it will happen in THIS CENTURY. The things only thought of in science fiction will begin here and now anons.

Describe this scene in your best prose.

Why? I don't agree with everything he says, but most of it is just common sense. I don't understand how you can have strong feelings about him either way.

Don't fall in the trap of slave morality senpai

What does this mean? I've only read Plato thus far. Where's the basis for morality?
How? And why is Kierkegaard so highly lauded, Fear and Trembling was mental gymnastics and he uses a lot of vague language in his writing
Brave New World edition
Not even a Peterson fanboi. I just happen to like Nietzsche and think he's right about, what is now: our current dilemna

First of all, you have to understand that the pseudonymous authorship was intentionally written as mental gymnastics to scramble the brains of the German Idealists who wanted to systematize everything and expand their influence into Denmark. If you want to get to the really good Kierkegaardian thought, you have to go straight to the journals.

"God is dead, and we have killed Him. What are the churches now but the tombs of a dead God?"

Kierkegaard realized that the churches were not truly Christian, that is to say they were purely aesthetic institutions. (He uses the words "sugary treats suited for only women and children") Kierkegaard breathed life into the Church (in the sense of the universal community of believers) by transforming Christianity into an 'existence-relation' that one lives everyday of their lives.

Regarding the Transvaluation of Values, Kierkegaard transformed the slave-morality of Christianity into a heroic willingness to suffer for the sake of the Truth, to be persecuted for the sake of Christ, a task, as he regarded it, suitable for the masculine sensibility. (see also knight of faith)

Are his journals just called--his journals? Or is either another name?

Soren Kierkegaard's Journals and Papers, Hong translation, Volumes 1-5

>Nietzsche has destroyed what we've believed for 2000 years,
>believing Nietzsche is actually that powerful or important
God was already dead, user, he just pointed it out.

I'll remember that if you ever come up with, or destroy, a legendarily impactful idea user.
Glory is the least we can give back in return

Thanks, I'll check it out. I wasn't impressed with Fear and Trembling, but I've read a couple excerpts from ?? that intrigued me, so I'll give him another chance

Could you recommend a good secondary source on Kierkegaard? I always find approaching his work so daunting

Chinabots can't function without their white programmers though. This isn't like mechanical AI where technological advances will allow increased computational complexity. Chinabots will always be limited by their wetware

Why is it so hard to grasp that we're probably meaningless but since we all live on earth together we need to weigh suffering and happiness to find morals that are applicable to the human situation. Does it have to be a plunge into nihilism where anything goes or hardcore religious objective morality?