Why is the western world so fascinated with post-apocalypse?

Why is the western world so fascinated with post-apocalypse?

Because everyone secretly hates mankind enough so that every single soul is wiped in a horrible catastrophic event, except for a scraggly group of survivors.

Because we have doomsday weapons

It's not. It's just an entertainment industry meme that has made most like it, and contribute to proliferating it.

Becuase JP Is right that some of people-kind hate humanity enough that they wish it would be wiped out.
It's fantasy fulfillment.

its the same reason people love man vs nature stories. Modern life is pointless and mundane, living in a post apocalypse world gives you a purpose and meaning to life. It doesn't matter that most people will die, and you will live an uncomfortable life, you will have a reason to live.

Cause we desperately need a plague and everyone knows it
We gave up on God, so nobody thinks a flood is coming anymore, and nobody thinks Jesus is gonna come a second time (giggity)
We are at the point now where we just want to see the whole damn thing fall apart, and if we are lucky enough to survive and start the rebuild, then so be it. Sounds fun, or at least less boring than modern life, hence all the stories and films like the OP

Ignoring the film, I Am Legend is a great book. Worth a read and only about 150 pages

For some people its also related to the idea that the unworthy will die or suffer. Insecure people like it because it gives a sense of equality. No matter how rich or powerful, everyone is equal in the face of a large scale disaster.

>he thinks humanity deserves to exist

any recommendations for some post apocalyptic novels that don't end optimistically?

probably something to do with the cold war or maybe the old testament with all it's world destroying. also, rest of the world pretty much looks post-apocalyptic already so it's not very weird if they're not into the genre

Canticle for Leibowitz

>posts grug

This is surprisingly accurate.

This desu, couldn't have said it better myself.

I doubt this is a new idea, but I certainly think modernity and consumerism have made it orders of magnitude worse.

I find the race to colonize space hilarious futile, we will all be dead by our own hands or by nature before we achieve it.

>Why is the western world so fascinated with post-apocalypse?
Probably has to do with the fears that arose during the Cold War.

Murcan gun nuts want to reset civilisation and bring back the Wild West.

Because they actually think they'd prosper in that environment.

Because modernity is too comfortable and people long for a time when men could be men. See pic related.

Probably because there's a greater obsession in it in America where a lot of the commercial entertainment produced by Hollywood emanates since the Christian denominations most prevalent in the country have had a higher focus on it.

I don't get the appeal whatsoever. Space is cold and dead and empty. Earth is filled with life, the air is breathable, the water drinkable. You can bask in the sun and run through the rain. You can enjoy the fragrant spring breeze and listen to the birds twitter. Do people really think they won't miss these things when they're millions of miles away sitting in some cramped compound on a hostile world, or do they just not realize?

>He doesn't think Humanity is best thing to exist
Clean your room.

I really fucking should user. My pile of clean, unfolded clothes is now smaller than my pile of dirty clothes.

>2000 years of waiting for the second coming of christ and judgement day

That probably had no impact whatsoever

My mental health is a mess today too user, so don't put yourself on the spot.
We'll all make it

Like that one Ray Bradbury story where the girl gets locked in the closet

any day now