What music do you all listen to when you need to concentrate? Or no music at all?

What music do you all listen to when you need to concentrate? Or no music at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wsg73PzKzDA
youtube.com/watch?v=UKBvaOLDem0&t=19226s
youtube.com/watch?v=xWtfo9kuRTU
youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
youtu.be/Hrr3dp7zRQY?t=10m49s
youtube.com/watch?v=UZvRCflar7k
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLSXitxVpo
youtube.com/results?search_query=drumming steve reich
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Structures from silence

I change the music when reading to match what’s happening in the book

I storngly dislke music... its bascially retarded sort term pleasure and then LOTS OF EAR WORMS AND DUMB REPETITIVE SHIT
THE good stuff: debussy. OK? classical stuff. STUFF that really makes yu think, transports yo to another world. Basically most white people are retarded as "NIGGERS" and Muh beats muh beats and hum dumb peasant shit GET STUCK IN BRAIN which is lame-o ok? listen to debussy listen to mozart, switch on , get transported

DONT listen to music while reading you FUCKING pseud. emotional contamination. fucking ADHD subboid. soymanoid. FUCK YOU.

yes.

I used to listen to entry-level Jazz when I studied in undergrad. Stuff like Mingus, Davis and Coletrain. The music I really like is not conducive to focusing.

Multi-tasking is actually cancer for your brain. The inability to do one thing at the time is one of the reasons why everybody has poor concentration these days.

So no music.

>me no liek sounds

>Having ambient music in background is multitasking

It is to your brain. I'm not here to argue with autismo's, just know that you're wrecking your brain.

There is unironically nothing wrong with listeninge to ambient or minimal house while reading. It probably increases your retention, brainlette

actually i read this thing that was like having audio on in the background engages part of your brain that would normally get distracted and try to check your email or whatever so u can concentrate more

personally i think it's a shit theory, i'm way more productive in silence, but i don't like to admit it cuz i'd rather listen to some music in the background while working, but whenever i have a coding sess where i get tons of shit done i'm like wow why was i so productive and it's like oh because that day i had no music

u think music isn't ruining ur life but it is

Philip Glass
youtube.com/watch?v=wsg73PzKzDA

Star Trek TNG Ambience
youtube.com/watch?v=UKBvaOLDem0&t=19226s

Skyrim OST
youtube.com/watch?v=xWtfo9kuRTU

Sam Harris and the Truthers
youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

But really, listening to nothing is the best route to concentration. The brain is bad at multitasking.

Silence is what you need to concentrate and when not available a repetitive sound like white noise.

Ambient is a meme and so is classical music.

yikes

wat, u got a problem with my post?

just.. i dunno user... soundtracks and shit
the rick astley
but yu know
theres something comfy about your post and your reply
and im happy
this is gonna sound silly but i love you, goodnight

I love you too

If you're reading some dense-ass scientific texts, I recommend some wild and crazy jazz:
youtu.be/Hrr3dp7zRQY?t=10m49s

If I'm reading something like Kant or Quine, I usually listen to ambient music, such as:
youtube.com/watch?v=UZvRCflar7k

If I'm reading fiction or philosophy for pure pleasure (e.g. the Neoplatonists, Aquinas), then I usually have silence. Sometimes celtic and medieval music gets me in the mood, sometimes not. I disagree with those who say that listening to music while reading diminishes concentration; if anything, the music becomes a 'store' whereby I'm able to retain implicit connections (trains of thought, etc.) and things that you've just got to memorize. Even now, while listening to Ryo Fukui, I remember that the citric acid cycle (aerobic respiration) yields a total 30-32 molecules of ATP and other minutiae from cell biology — it's been years since I studied this shit.

A more effective argument, I think, would be that listening to music while reading diminishes the pleasure of both music and literature. I don't believe that it affects concentration negatively; people who say otherwise fail to realize that, in the information age, connecting disparate strands and multitasking is the name of the game. How well are you able to synthesize?

For the most part it has to balance the mood with being background enough to eventually pass from notice. For this, I recommend:

G.P. da Palestrina
Heinrich Schutz
J.S. Bach (of course. and those 1 hr long lute works are the best)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLSXitxVpo

Thank you

Almost anything that doesn't have a strong tempo. Ambient, harsh noise, free jazz, etc. are all acceptable. Tempos, beats, and rhythms are acceptable if they're not too overpowering.

No OSTs or anything familiar in that way though because I'll think about the source material of the music too much.

I don't have a strong preference for having music or not so I do music and silence in about equal measures.

Steve Reich's "Drumming"

youtube.com/results?search_query=drumming steve reich

Propulsive, cerebral, unobtrusive, repetitive

this + post-rock and ambient

Stars of the Lid
William Basinski