History

Care to give me some good history related books?
I will start with: Ordinary Men. Reserve Police Battalion 101

Other urls found in this thread:

jockopodcast.com/jocko-podcast-books/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lmfao, read real history like Irving, not this jewshit

pic related it's probably you

have you even read the book stupid nigger.

Sounds interesting. Gulag Archipelago, Storm of Steel, but I like matter-of-fact stuff that dissects state and mass movements, rather than novels or human interest.

From Dawn to Decadence.
Iron Kingdom.
Vanished Kingdoms.
Europe.
Rubicon.
World of Odysseus.
After Tamerlane.

The ones on my mind, some of the best works of nonfiction, not just history, that you can read.

Look up Jocko Willink - he reviews this book and books like it on his weekly podcast.

Here is a list of the books he has done to date

jockopodcast.com/jocko-podcast-books/

>jockopodcast.com/jocko-podcast-books/
oh nice man
thanks

>real history
>Irving
lmao

Just read Fernand Braudel and stop being such a pleb.

>The ones on my mind, some of the best works of nonfiction, not just history, that you can read.
how many non-fiction books have you read? Vanished Kingdoms is good, Rubicon is meh level for Roman history though a great starter neither go on the greats list.

What?
Gulag archipelago is deeply fictionalized, and the author never pretended otherwise. His wife even said that all the ‘horror stories’ were basically camp fire myths that he felt ‘evoked’ the situation he was trying to represent. And Storm of Steel is a narrative memoir, it’s a novel essentially.

The Making of the English Working Class, while it wasn’t the final academic word on the subject, it is an incredibly written account of a people.

History of the Modern World by Eric Hobsbawn, if you want to get a broad understanding of European history from roughly the French Revolution to present, especially one that takes a sociological bottom up approach, rather than just focusing on the machinations of political leadership, this is a high water mark

Paris 1919 and The War that Ended Peace. About the start and end of the First World War, very good works of presentation. An excellent account that is more analytic and less narrative is Sleepwalkers by Chris Clark

Killing Hope, this is an account of basically ever foreign campaign the CIA has done since its creation up until the late 90s (published 2002). From organizing ballot stuffing in Italy, throwing coups in a dozen or more democratic countries, assassinations across Africa, this book reveals the CIA as the international terrorist organization that it is. The author was formerly a State Department official.

The Arabs by Eugene Rogan, considering the relavence of understanding the Arab people to US policy, this is the best, most comprehensive account, iirc it started around the time of the reconquesta and in the latest edition goes up to the 2006 war in Lebanon.

1491 by Charles Mann, this is an basically a survey of how all the different indigenous peoples of North America lived just before European contact. It draws attention to a lot of aspects that aren’t as salient in the more mythologized versions of native history, like their trading habits, and city structures, it focuses a lot on tempering this idea that all natives ‘lived in harmony with nature’ rather than acting on their environment for their own uses.

All the books by Tim Mason, his work on Nazi Germany and class structure is unparalleled. As far as other accounts of the Nazis; Raul Hilberg’s account of the Holocaust is definitive; Richard Evan’s Coming of the Third Reich is the best volume that explains how the Nazis happened (the rest of this trilogy is also excellent)

Vichy France by Robert Paxton is the definitive work on that period, also his book The Anatomy of Fascism is probably the most extensive examination of the topic and strongly defends the category of fascism as a useful analytic tool.

On the Russian Revolution, Sheila Fitzpatrick’s brief account is good, but I think everybody should try to seek out EH Carr’s three volume series on it, that one is mostly forgotten because of how generally positive he was towards the revolution, but the depth of this analysis is unmatched by historians during and after the Cold War. While not a deep history work, China Melivile’s October is a narrative account of the revolution which totally brakets the question of ‘what happens next’ and just treats it as material for a political thriller, it’s really a fantastic book.

Red Star over China, a classic book by a journalist who went to China and met Mao during the revolution.

The Ethnic Clensing of Palestine by Ilan Pappe

Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galeano, Chavez gave Obama a copy and said if there was one book to understand South America it was this one, do with that what you will.

The Mediterranean by Fernand Braudel, this book inaugurated a whole new school of history writting, a very determinist, depersonal, and grand scale which came to characterize French historiography.

Postwar by Tony Judt, his anti communism clouds his analysis at points but overal a pretty thorough account of Europe after the war.

Black Jacobins by CLR James, an account of the Haitian revolution

Origins of the Second World War by AJP Taylor, very controversial because it basically tries to absolve Germany of much responsibility over the war.

All the Shah’s Men, a not too long lengthy account of the British/American coup of the Iranian government in 1953.

Legacy of Ashes, history of the CIA, takes the odd stance that they are essentially bumbling fools who’s whole history has been a series of fuck ups, rather than just deliberate destruction and disregard for the criminality of their activity.

Black Against Empire, is a real history of the Black Panthers, rather than the highly fictionalized narrative that the FBI has successfully infected the culture with.

The Case of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchens, reveals the depths of evil of one of America’s most notable operatives.

The Radicalism of the American Revolution, it had fallen out of academic favour to view the American revolution as being actually progressive, rather than just a struggle between different rich people for control over the exploited, this book makes the case that the American Revolution deserves a place among the ‘world historic’ revolutions as a true radical event.

Policing Black Lives, a fascinating account of the history of state violence against black people in Canada. Interesting especially because it lies fiercely at odds with how so many Canadians like to think about their country.

Also on Canada; Clearing the Plains is an account of a major famine that was manufactured by John A MacDonald to break resistance to colonization. The Inconvenient Indian, an account of indegenous history in Canada. The Founding of Canada by Stanley Ryerson, an account of the working class and a general bottom up approach. Tim Cook has written the definitive accounts of Canada in the First World War. Pierre Burton’s works are immensely popular by they are far more aimed at producing a national mythology than doing real history.

>t.

Thinking of reading 1914-1918 by Stevenson soon. Thoughts?
Indian History? Give enough reccs to make a chart.

From Dawn to Decadence if you want to understand the development of all major Western ideas and simultaneously despair

But dahdah Pedeson told me it was tru

nice dude, im gonna go though them

Gene Wolfe

What greats would you recommend?

>Americans actually believe Gulag Archipelago is a real life story

Mein Gott.

>communists denying atrocities

what a shocker

Remember the Dunlendings being hunted for sport by the Rohirrim? A sad time...

kys commie. his wife was coerced by the kgs to spout bullshit.

read kevin macdonald

>Policing Black Lives, a fascinating account of the history of state violence against black people in Canada. Interesting especially because it lies fiercely at odds with how so many Canadians like to think about their country.
LOL @ all this trash

>i'm going to judge something without even a cursory reading

back ya go

>>>

the crisis of the european mind by paul hazard

great book, great writing style, great everything.

>Revisionism and revisionism and revisionism
I think OP wanted history books, user

You know there has been a black community in Nova Scotia for like 400 years?
There has actually been a fair abundance of scholarship about black Canadian history, but it’s always been basically subterranean to the public. Policing Black Lives was just a matter of pulling together all that into one book.

And what have I said there that is wrong. It’s incredibly common place to see racism as ‘an American problem’ in Canada. People acknowledge there is anti-black racism, but it’s always see an benign compared to the American Case.

The Hitler of History

Is right about
Like 90% is shit tier

>I just believe any thing I read

Ment this guy was right

Some recs:

Vanished Kingdoms, Norman Davies. On all these European places that vanished and no current country claims heritage to - mostly small kingdoms here and there that just disappeared or were merged into larger countries, their cultures forgotten. Very interesting to see how random culture and borders can be.

King Leopold's Ghost - a very polemic history of the Belgian colony in Congo, probably the most famous account of all the hand-chopping and other atrocities.

The entire Penguin History of Europe, if you want to take one, get The Pursuit of Glory (#6) on the way the concept of the state changed from a state personified to a king to a state based on a shared people, around the French revolution. Loads of other interesting stuff, how hard transport and economic networks were back then, etc.

If you like biographies, get Ray Monk's Oppenheimer, which is a history of his life but also the entire Manhattan Project.

Does Veeky Forums even care about Indian History?
Have asked this question a few times in Veeky Forums as well as Veeky Forums. Nobody has answered so far...

This is my favorite book based on WW2 history

More like Anthony Beaver

>good history related books
Max Hastings in general is good reading.