Fashion

Are there any good books on fashion design?

Science and Sarcasm by Martin Heidegger

I like the margiela coffee table book a lot desu

No, there are none.

The Bernard Roetzal books are good if you want to know the basics of suits / shoes etc.

This.
I studied fashion design. There were no books we were told to read. Instead, read up on fashion history and just... look at fashion. Famous designers, famous fashion magazines, etc. You're presented with the basics, and you just absorb as much art and art history as possible, and then go at it.
We learned how to draw proper technical drawings, but some of the best designers just fucking scribbled.
If you want, I can give you a list of my favorite designers and see if I can find my old fashion history books, but it'll take a couple hours.

fuckin hell. white and black outfits are timeless.

>If you want, I can give you a list of my favorite designers and see if I can find my old fashion history books, but it'll take a couple hours.

Yes, please.

>tfw some day Ralph Lauren will die

he's a pedophile so I hope he dies soon

Alright. A must-see is Iris van Herpen. She's an avant gardist that makes it her mission to experiment with new materials in her work. You can't do fashion without checking her out.

top favorites include:
Coco Chanel
Karl Lagerfeld
Jean-Paul Gaultier
Alexander McQueen
Armani (Privé)
All these are huge names that everybody's heard of, but they're all very important in their own way to the industry. Obviously, there are thousands of designers all over the world, so it's always a good idea to just check out the new collections when they roll around. (I've seen a LOT of really nice things lately, that I've sadly failed to remember who they're from.)

A book I have is FASHION by alt//cramer (pic related), which is mostly pictures, but I said it before- best is studying examples visually and it's a doorstopper with a lot of variety. Vogue and Harper's Bazaar are also pretty vital.

My fashion history book is History of the Costume by Erika Thiel, but I don't know if there's an english edition, but I assume so, since it's been reprinted since the 60s.

I work for this dude
I swear he can make the most basic looking jeans and t-shirt outfit look like high fashion

History of International Fashion by Didier Grumbach

Okay, so the erika thiel book isn't in english, so I can't help you out in that regard. Older fashion books and magazines are also important to check out. Basically, drown yourself in pictures. Pictures from everywhere and everywhen. It doesn't matter.

RL is my favorite brand in the world. I just love the aesthetic of all three sub-brands, how they're distinctive and yet clearly flow from a united vision. Hell, I'm still sad they killed Black Label.

I’m still sad that we nixed Denim and Suppy. It was kind of a weird spiritual successor to Rugby that never really had a chance to find its footing, but i really thought it had potential

Rugby was fantastic. In hindsight, I understand why it never took off, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Not even gonna lie, I think Rugby was dropped because people started to associate it with lower income demographics and they worried it would cheapen the RL name

I'm also interested in this topic. If not a book about design theory or what not, is there a book out there that can help expand my vocabulary for terms that help describe specific aspects of dress like (e.g. different kinds of stitches, words like lapel or inseam)?

I can't even think of less basic words because my knowledge is as close to rock bottom as one can get. At the Victoria & Albert museum, I've seen what were to me beautiful designs, but I wouldn't be able to describe even the greatest standouts. At best I can point to vague historical reference points from old movies, paintings, images from different subcultures, or the name Elsa Schiaparelli because I really really liked her stuff.

Thank you!

Hey no problem! I hope I could help. Fashion is absolutely fascinating. I really suggest finding a good fashion history book too. The correlation between fashion of society is really interesting.

Honestly History of Fashion
I've been watching a youtube channel about it.
You learn a lot about other shit going on in history just through fashion.

"Fashion is a response"

Do you need to? Its very simple.

Fashion is a social construct, and people use it to convey information about their place in the social structure, and they do it mostly through a) trying to appear unique and b) trying to show social status.

What this means in practice is that, when trying to appear uniqe, people buy clothes that dont challenge what fashion is and the "macro-trends" in fashion, but instead une their clothing to show off other aspects that might mke them seem uniqe. See t-shirts or hoodies with text, jewlery with political/religious connotations and clothing that signal belonging within a certain sub-culture, eg skater, gaming, hiking, hippe clothing ect (note that none of these really challenge the aesthetic of clothing in any real way, and that all their novely derrives from their group-connotations).

And when trying to show off status, people follow what people more generally view as fashion, which is determined by large clothing brands, the fashion industry, and what celebs wear (which is determined by the former two). There are ofcourse examples that go beyond those categories. Suits derrive their fashion from how people wearing suits traditionally have a job ect.

If you actually want to understand fashion on a deeper sense, just read up on the history of fashion. People trying to rationalize it beyond what i just wrote are probably making up bullshit, or sperging out over small almost neglible or obvious examples that dont really matter.