What is some essential Renaissance literature?

What is some essential Renaissance literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html#aristo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shakespeare and Don Quixote

The Decameron

Canterbury Tales

Invisible man

Simplicissiumus by Grimmelhausen falls under that date, a great example of a truly classical but quite well-researched picaresque novel

But that's Baroque literatue.

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html#aristo

picatrix
>It has significantly influenced West European esotericism from Marsilio Ficino to Thomas Campanella

> The book was so feared, though well circulated, it was not published until the 18th century. When someone was accused of practicing ''black magic", certain texts would be tried with the accused. If the accused was found guilty the texts would be burned with them. Owning the Picatrix was almost an admission of guiIt .

Hynerotomachia Poliphili

Lives of the artists by Vasari

bump

wow that sounds fucking awesome

Is Petrarch reinassance or medieval? And what of his work should I read?

Late Medieval, he and Boccaccio are the transition into Umanesimo and thus the Reinassance. Read his Canzoniere.

Thanks my friend.

how important is occultism to the canon?

I suppose The Prince kind of puts the political aspect of the time into perspective

perhaps chaucer?

Chaucer's medieval.

A good deal in this particular historical period this thread is about. Neoplatonism, Hermeticism, Kabbalah, etc. being rediscovered by Europeans all over the place. See also Giordano Bruno being Giordano Bruno, and the Oration on the Dignity of Man by Pico della Mirandola.

shut up nigger

ITT: plebs who think the medieval and the renaissance are cleary defined ages. The North was still in 'the middle ages' by the time the renaissance was on its feet in Italy. Chaucer travelled to Italy, was exposed to the poetry of Petrarch and Dante, took this back to England and composed the Tales. He was ahead of the 'storm front' that gradually meandered north. So to say Chaucer is exclusively medieval, as at least one user has ITT, is simply wrong. The years blend together, nothing's so clearly defined.

I fucking love this book; the first time I opened it up to read was like opening Pandora's box, every damn page was filled to the brim with interesting info and the footnotes just kept elaborating and opening worlds within worlds of research material.

were there any other reinassance novelists of note outside cervantes? and what of playwrights besides shakespeare and marlowe?

Montaigne's Essays

120 Days of Sodom