Why english doesn't have an official royal academy like spanish?

Why english doesn't have an official royal academy like spanish?

Other urls found in this thread:

aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

historically, current standard english depended on usage and was never dictated by the kings or the academy. see:
aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages

since this is the only Spanish thread in the catalog, I'd like to ask: Is there an online Spanish-to-English dictionary that is considered "the good one?" Is there a consensus or does it matter?

see if there's an english to spanish dictionary from la real academia de la lengua española (royal spanish academy).

not on their page. and searching for any combination of "la real academia de la lengua española" "royal spanish academy" "translation" and "spanish to english dictionary" only yields definitions of what the RAE is in english from a variety of dictionaries--frustrating!

I suppose it can be assumed that the source of and english language dictionary will be the RAE, since what else would it be?

Leaving that argument aside, is there a favored Sp-to-Eng online dictionary for other reasons: utility, how current they are, etc. It probably doesn't matter but I was just checking before I set a bookmark. Having one that could be selected from the Firefox search bar would be awesome. Looks like Collins has that, lemme check the others

what's wrong with google translator?

do u need something diferent for autistic reasons?

well, maybe not. I guess I'm just used to using dictionaries. I like seeing all the etymology. Google does give different usages but they aren't in the context of a sentence and you have to click through. I prefer a full dictionary entry I can scan at a glance.

well, there's plenty of dictionaries on libraries, why do you need some particular "good" (whatever that means) dictionary?

If you wanna seek the origins of words, maybe you need to seek not translators dictionaries but actual encyclopedias of a language.

you actually learns the context of words by using a language by speaking with native people.

I became good at english simply after shitposting on Veeky Forums for years.
maybe you should shitpost on hispachan if you wanna practice spanish.

The "real academia española" is bent on destroying spanish. Their critteria to accept new spellings/pronounciations as correct is if enough people are misusing them. They should change their name to plebeian academy.

God damnit, i hate them

>languages are static pieces of rock
imagine shilling for el mio cid or don quijote spanish today, lmao.

>Their critteria to accept new spellings/pronounciations as correct is if enough people are misusing them.

that's just what words are, genius.

I don't know, but the French have one as well. The problem with English is that its pronounciation is anarchy, and stupid new words are added constantly just "for the lulz", like bootylicious or listicle.

>other languages don't have the same problems
>most major languages have an official royal academy

if you don't like the word listicle you don't have to use it. but it's a word whether you like it or not.

not him but you are an unpleasant person

>la real academia de la lengua espanyola

meme language

really, why is that?

>Don quixote is a meme
pleb

because that would be no way to preserve its ragged charm

English is the true Chad language that makes up words whenever it wants.

I can't answer for why a Royal Academy wasn't set up prior to 1755 for such a purpose, but when Samuel Johnson published his Dictionary in 1755, he basically admitted in his Preface that he originally tried to create a dictionary that would regulate the English language, but realised that it was futile because it kept on shifting. That set the tone for all future dictionaries of English, which are descriptive rather than prescriptive.

There's no pronounciation problems in Spanish or Italian, they're pretty straightforward once you know the rules. Unlike English where you have bullshit like "colonel". Give me a fucking break.

bootylicous and listicle both make perfect sense in terms of pronunciation if one can pronounce the composites. Booty + delicious, list + testicle or icicle or whatever. No problem.