What does it mean to be a psued? What books am I allowed to read? What am I not allowed to read?

What does it mean to be a psued? What books am I allowed to read? What am I not allowed to read?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I got some bad news for you OP, you are 100% faggot and a pseud for not even being able to spell the word right.

Do you guys pronounce it sood or swed.

Puh-sway-doh

Is it better to be a pseud or a pleb?

>has a collection of at least 8 alfsvoid reaction pics

>owns any DFW reaction pics

This is actually a pretty good list of people to straight up ignore. I know I'll get flak for this but remove Sam Harris, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens.

For a list of 70+ people though, only finding 4 I disagree with being on there, that is really accurate.

>I know I'll get flak for this but remove Sam Harris, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens.

le 4 horsemen of le apocalypse

euphoria detected

Being a pseud is when you pretend to read books and understand that you haven’t actually read or understood.

1. a lot of those people don't even aspire to be seen as intellectuals
2. if you replaced pseud with e celeb i wouldn't be able to tell the difference

pseud

in real life among reasonable people it means this on Veeky Forums it tends to mean "anything or anyone i don't like"

>remove some of the worst ones on the list

These are the questions of a true pseud.

>What does it mean to be a pseud?

It means someone disagrees with you.

Nah, if Daniel Dennett was on this list I'd happily agree with him being on there.

>in this moment
>*tips fedora*

I should add that in all seriousness, to understand what a pseudo-intellectual is, you need to know what an intellectual is. There's really no single definition. Personally, I think a fair definition is someone who is broadly erudite and is intellectually honest.

This would exclude people who are strictly specialized.
They might be highly intelligent and worth listening to in their area of expertise but they lack the breadth to be an 'intellectual' in the sense most people conceive of it.

This would excluse people who are just not well read enough. Take the image in this post.

Sargon and Dave Rubin are good examples. Rubin doesn't hold any pretense of being an intellectual and Sargon is 38 and has barely started reading Aristotle and some Enlightenment era philosophy. neither remotely qualify even if they engage in the intellectual sphere.

Intellectuals must be honest and open. This would exclude people like Stefan Molyneux and Sam Harris. Harris once straight up lied to a live audience about a parable Jesus used by framing it as a direct order to his disciples to bring people to him so he could slay them. I have no idea wtf he was even doing, it's obvious anyone could check the source. It's like he's pathological. And for Molyneux, if you've ever read UPB you'll know just how incapable he is of forming legitimate arguments. It's not that he's particularly unintelligent or poorly read. It's just that he's lazy and doesn't watch how formulations.

Examples of people I do consider intellectuals would be Nassim Taleb and Noam Chomsky. I agree far more with Taleb on most issues than Chomsky (I'm not contrasting them, just disclosing my inclination and bias) but both are honest and consistent in their positions. They live their words to a degree that should be necessary to be considered an intellectual. They are also public intellectuals. You can be a private intellectual so long as you model yourself after these sorts of people and are a life long learner. Honestly seeking new information is definitely required. Intellectuals won't just ossify and become advocates.

I just realized I never gave my definition of what a pseudo-intellectual is. I was mentioning Rubin for a reason but forgot to bring it full circle. Rubin never claims to be an intellectual and therefore isn't a pseud, while Sargon at least implies that he is, which means he is. I think you have to claim or at least intentionally portray yourself as an intellectual to be a pseud. And even pseuds can have value. If someone with a specialization, like say Gad Saad, starts speaking on some topic he doesn't know anything about, he might be a 'pseud' in the moment but that in no way diminishes him when he speaks on biology.

>tfw I own Mortality by Christopher Hitchens and The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
I was uninformed 3 years ago. I'm sorry okay, I'm trying to be better

Reread the books and fill the margins with scathing critiques and abuse as you go through the books.

imagine being the guy who made this
this is the world you dunk your head in all the time
your brain is rotten

sood

pseud

sewd

This is the perfect thing to say at this time.

Bro out of the whole list they're the most dangerous ones, I'll give you htchens maybe but Harris is garbage

>laci green
>david icke
>alex jones
>memetano
>bill nye the science guy
>amazing atheist
are they even pseuds though? doesn't that imply having some intellectual pretensions first of all?

THE FACT THAT

Sood, like in sudowoodo.

This person who made this is pretty damn woke. Also I hate the fact that I recognize nearly every person on that image. No normal human being should know this much about internet autism.

>scaruffi
:(

>And even pseuds can have value. If someone with a specialization, like say Gad Saad, starts speaking on some topic he doesn't know anything about, he might be a 'pseud' in the moment but that in no way diminishes him when he speaks on biology.

I think this could be said for Sargon when it comes to history. Heroes of History was a well made, engaging series, and I wish he felt less obligated to commit himself to politics.

>the dick size of dfwposters

> Mike Stoklasa of Red Letter Media

but that would mean i need to delete my mike folder and i'm not willing to do that

Why are Chomsky and Zizek there? Am I a pseud?

But I like Varg

Pseudonym

>Putting noam Chomsky in the same category as 'the golden one' or 'boogie'

Pretty sure boogie is just a video games who's trying to lose weight, I don't think he identifies as an intellectual. The roid monkey probably doesn't even know what am intellectual is, having never met one.

Idk man, George Carlin doesn't deserve to be on this list. I'm not saying he was an intellectual, he was just a comedian with a lot of common sense. But not a pseudo.

Tbhfamalam, roid monkey's IQ is so high he will never meet an intellectual, even if he wanted to.

It's funny because I don't know what is or isn't irony anymore and people telling me they're not being ironic just confuses me even further. Why don't you break character? Why are you wasting my time?

Yeah.
We need distinguish pseuds from hacks: zizek, Chomski Honk, peterson, harris.

a hack is implicitly a pseud dessus

Does lindybeige deserve to be there? He mostly just makes history videos.

>remove Lawrence Krauss
Are you retarded?

You just removed the main 4 pseuds.

Yeah I think Chomchom and Ziz belong to a different class

All "communicators" are psueds.

Pop-sci/pop-phi/pop-phyche is all cancer.

Is a pretty good list. They are almost all articulate nobodies who started a YouTube channel (moly, sargon, rubin etc) or scientists who stepped out of their wheelhouse (Peterson, dawkins, harris, krauss, e)

You see, they are psueds because they specifically say the things they do in the public sphere because they are zealous ideologues who wanted to wield their "credentials" to push said ideology to the public while avoiding their garbage being properly criticized in the academic sphere.

If you want to actually become educated on a topic, read textbooks or academic papers. If something is designed to be read by the public, or even an erudite, but non-professional audience, it's psued.

Totally agree, except for Peter Hitchens. I know everyone on this list, except like 2 fucking people

>Harris is garbage
why

this is the difficult truth, if you don’t read technical texts or papers you are a fucking pseud faggot, there is no way around it. if you can’t do the math or understand the mechanics of whatever science you’re trying to learn about, it is simply above you.

I just reflected of the same thing as i saw that image and also what some previous user said about Ben Shapiro-that he's not intelligent. Always the fervent ideologues get the attention while the true first rate minds of our time remain some unnoticed NEETs. Sigh.
But since most of them defend flawed ideologies yet they rarely, if ever get called on their bullshit I would say they're really smart people. Not many people can hold this reputation while obviously being in the wrong. I think Veeky Forums heavily underrates them

>Chomsky
>Peterson
>fucking Brother Nathanael
You take that back

Here is the correct version

>Bloom
>Hyde
>Buckley
agree with the rest though, even though I personally love Varg despite all his nordic autism

now even trump or elliot rodger have intellectual pretentions. dammit

you're only allowed to read books that I personally like, because anyone who has different literary tastes than mine is definitely a pseud.

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

So if I don't work in stem and spend all day jerking off over physics papers I'm a pseud? You sure you're not just trying to elevate your intellectual stock to make yourself feel superior to other people buddy?

>Ben Shapiro-that he's not intelligent
>the true first rate minds of our time remain some unnoticed NEETs
But Ben graduated Harvard Law School cum laude and the post you're replying to seems to say NEETs are all useless and only academia has worthy intellectual thought

>What books am I allowed to read?
None

Not what I said about Ben, but what the "previous user" from my mind said. And I wasn't making a point for NEETs, just illustrating the conditions the great minds have to live in. Specifically I had in mind the /phil/ graduate for this one.

why the fuck are bloom and land in this chart?

Söudo

>MFW when someone calls Thoreau a pseud

piss-u-ee-doo

yes if you ever use a mathematical theorem you can't prove you're a pseud