Underappreciated Writers

Naguib Mahfouz won the Nobel Prize, but I never hear anything about him. He's a skilled writer who in his later works pulls off tremendously skilled political allegories that function very well on the level of individual character (thinking specifically of Miramar). I'd recommend the Thief and the Dogs. I'd also be curious if anyone has read and could recommend the Cairo Trilogy?

Select images containing busses and then post and discuss other authors and books that you don't think get the attention they deserve.

People are too busy talking about some pretentious post modern philosophy to talk about someone who got stabbed in the neck for his work, sorry.

>discuss other authors and books that you don't think get the attention they deserve.

>lampedusa
>rulfo
>nescio

Lampedusa and Rulfo are two of the best one hit wonders of literature. who's Nescio?

I just came across Unamuno y Jugo, have anons here read him? not sure if he doesn't get the attention he deserves but I hadn't heard of him personally

a third, though his only book was written as short stories and compiled by nyrb for amsterdam stories

also:
>robert walser
>patrick leigh fermor
>casanova
>de assis

what have you read?

Juan Maria Onetti, Georges Perec, Graciliano Ramos, John Barth (absolute proof that Bloom is a pleb, he's better than Delilo, Corncob and Roth, only losing to the big Pynch himself), Flann O'Brien, Döblin, Gombrowicz
Where to start with Walser? I can also rec you some more BRs if you want.

jakob von gunten is the place to start
barth is great
yeah, rec some more

I've read Life: A User's Manual, which is easily one of the ten best books I've ever read, and A Void, which is pretty impressive and a lot of fun. what Perec would you recommend next?

Almost bought Goat-Boy the other day, but passed hoping to find Sotweed instead. Did I fuck up?
Doblin is only underappreciated in English and only because the translation is terrible. I'm hoping the coming NYRB translation will change that.
Flann O'Brien also isn't underappreciated. Third Policeman threads occur pretty often and he's frequently discussed elsewhere (*the* alternative publishing house is named after one of his books)
The rest of these I've never heard of, so thanks for the recs.

Speaking of BR, how's Ribeiro?

Guimarães Rosa (I was actually thinking of him when I mentioned Graciliano, but both are good), Raduan Nassar, Ariano Suassuna, Augusto dos Anjos, all the people related to the Week of 22 group.
We have the same opinion on both Life and A Void. Sadly I haven't read much more of him since I can't speak french, but Attempts to Exhaust a Spot in Paris, The Things and The Art of Asking Your Boss for a Raise are all great little books, you can probably read the three of them in a day, but the three texts are extremely rereadable (as everything else he did). I'm kinda unreliable since he's one of my favourite authors, but untangling all his little games and choices require multiple readings, and my appreciation grows the more I learn and understand about him.
I'm actually considering giving my gf his collected shortword puzzles but shipping from france + euro conversion make it very difficult.
I haven't read Giles yet, but Sotweed was great. It took a while to click on me (my kindle fucking up a bunch of recurrent letters and symbols didn't help either) but once it did, it became very funny very fast. I admit my reading of it was very poor since the kindle unicode thing became extremely bothersome, but I still recommend it if you're into wacky pomo tomes.
Which one, Darcy? I haven't read him but my gf and her father love him.

The Art and Craft of Approaching Your Head of Department to Submit A Request for A Raise is pretty good and it has that playful melancholy vibe Perec likes so much. Species of Spaces is good, to.

Really it's hard to find something of his I haven't enjoyed at least a little. La Boutique Obscure is kinda hit and miss.

I've been trying to find a pdf of An Attempt At Exhausting A Place in Paris for a hot minute now.

Also Jorge Amado but only if you're a communist. Not even leftist, an actual marxist-leninist, otherwise things can get a bit bumpy.

I meant Joao (picked up Sergant Getúlio totally on a whim - don't know anything about it). Never heard of Darcy - doesn't seem like there are English translations (I don't speak Portuguese)

Oh, once again, I haven't read him either, but my father in law loves him. My knowledge of brazilian literature past the 60s / first modernism is very basic and self-taught, since we don't get that far in high school literature class.

No worries. If he's good, maybe I'll start another "underrated authors" thread with him instead of Mahfouz. These threads are by far the best thing I get out of Veeky Forums

seconding Flann O'Brien, what a great author. Also putting forward Andrei Bely (Petersburg is legitimately the best novel of the 1900s) and Clark Ashton Smith (basically a more talented Lovecraft).

>stabbed in the neck for his work
Is this proof that Mahfouz had skin in the game?

Well-known/semi well-known authors I wish lit discussed more often:
>Victor Hugo
>Arthur Schnitzler
>Gustave Flaubert
>Mikhail Sholokhov
>John Dos Passos

Have only read Lampedusa (in translation) but the writing was really beautiful and captured a romantic realism that I feel mostly died out since the 19th century.

>who's Nescio?
Dunno, lol.

Gerard de Nerval
Nathanael West
James McCourt
Théophile Gautier
Lawrence Durrell
Pär Lagerkvist
Stanislaw Lem
There must be others, too, but these come to mind right now whom I wish I could discuss more on Veeky Forums.

Hello, I'm willing to discuss Nathanael West and Par Lagerkvist but I'm going to sleep soon.

Thanks for this post user, I checked all these authors, and found some really promising books