Continental philosophy

What's the point? If you're just going to baselessly speculate, why call it philosophy?

Analytic philosophy strives to use formal logic and the sciences to come to verifiable conclusions about our world...continental philosophy is what, armchair speculation about feelings?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BBgQFrcB8zw
castaliahouse.com/downloads/astronomy-homeschool-bundle/
twitter.com/EricRWeinstein
infoproc.blogspot.com
google.com/search?q=numeracy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab
twitter.com/billnye
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>If you're just going to baselessly speculate, why call it philosophy?
I'm glad you're starting to see things my way, user.

who /meta-philosopher/ here

Me

/TradGang/ in the house

That pic is retarded
Start with the greeks
Im not saying this trying to be smug or anything like that.

Mane have you tried to, you know, actually read Continental Philosophy?
Read the Derrida Routledge guide or something?

Analytic philsophy is a mistake.
Pragmatic philsophy is the way.

Time in a single life is limited. Analytical philosophy is far more useful. Read what you need from it then read about math, science, history, strategy, survival, etc.

Continental philosophy is more of a hobby like reading fantasy.

>Analytic philosophy strives to use formal logic and the sciences to come to verifiable conclusions about our world

What's the point of that if we have no understanding of our place in the cosmos as a matter of phenomenology?

Continental philosophy is religion for agnostics, isn't it?

Traditional religion is for drones and nerds

Yeah

nigga shut the fuck up

>continental
Thoreau was nice. At least he promoted science, albeit glumly

nigger I'm a meta meta philosipher. I see beyond the system that sees beyond the system that calls itself physics and lately I'm even starting to see beyond that

>Analytic philosophy strives to use formal logic and the sciences to come to verifiable conclusions about our world

The entire preoccupation of continental philosophy is with asking
>What is "logic?"
>What makes it "verifiable?" Who does the verifying? What is verification? What are truth and verisimilitude?
>What grounds the possibility and/or apodeictic certainty of these things?
>What is a "world" and how do "conclusions," "our" conclusions, relate to it?

Analytic philosophers take our natural assumptions about the world and our words for describing it for granted, and then try to build a crystal structure of pure science out of them, without realizing that they are not only irreducibly fuzzy and unsuited for acting as metaphilosophical foundations, but they are also constantly shifting and changing in history.

Analytic philosophy is what you are doing when someone talks about "ideas" without clarifying what they mean by the word. Continental philosophy is what you begin to do when you say, "wait wait wait shouldn't we be clear what we mean by 'idea'? At least about its various, very different historical usages?"

I'm meta-you. No matter how meta you get I will always be one step above you.

Why is analytic philosophy the new pseud defense mechanism for every discussion that gets a little bit difficult? They all start from such random assumptions like everyone in the continental tradition. Analytic philosophy shitposters are like the autistic kid who doesnt get the joke.

>cont. vs analytic
>dualism
>implying

This shit is what makes Neil Degrasse Tyson shit talk philosophy.

I'm also noticing that all analytic discussion online seems to never actually discuss philosophy, just hound on about how they are so much better than the continentals.

Being a retard that doesn't acknowledge that all of his ideas rely blindly on axioms?

Do you think that what that user posted is something you could call a word salad or something like that? It literally couldnt be more basic.
The absolute state of this board.

>baselessly speculate

On what base are you speculating? Could it perhaps be... An assumption?

No, I know what it is. It's what people incapable of handling math and science read and talk about to feel smart.

You need to read some Jacob Klein.

90% of the fags who act like that have never actually studied analytic philosophy neither continental. They just saw Peterson videos on how "le pomo philosophers are bad because they hate logic! amirite" and now think Hegel is somehow the same as college freshman feminists

both of you are fucking retarded. It's pretty obvious what user said. I don't think he's exactly right since some analytic phil clearly has value, but what he said isn't unclear or off base enough to justify your sperging

>discussing and defining concepts is bad!
Why are you even in the literature board?

>what he said isn't unclear or off base enough to justify your sperging
Thats what I'm (me) trying to imply
Learn to read

You guys need to drop the notion that people aren't getting or understanding incredibly simple propositions. It's not about not 'realizing' that analytic philosophy makes assumptions. It's not so difficult to understand that I must think I'm reading word salad. It's not about misunderstanding Hegel because Jordan Peterson.

You people need to stop flattering yourselves. This is not even remotely difficult material. My stated positions are what they are, and you need to stop hallucinating reasons for my positions other than that I hold them legitimately.

Whats your point? You didnt say anything aside from "dont disagree with me!".

Nevermind I just realized this is bait. Good job.

sorry m8 sleep deprivation is a bitch

How about not presuming that people who don't value continental philosophy are just too stupid to get it? Because that's the near universal refrain of its proponents. It makes sense of course. What else could draw people to fraudulent pseudo-intellectual tripe? Some deep seated need to feel smart without facing the possibility of failure intrinsic in rigorous intellectual pursuits.

youtube.com/watch?v=BBgQFrcB8zw

Just listen to this dog shit.

>How about not presuming that people who don't value analytic philosophy are just too stupid to get it?

No, I know what it is. It's what people incapable of handling math and science read and talk about to feel smart.

Tyson is an autistic pseud whose Tweets are an abomination against anyone with an IQ above 50.

ITT: People take out their sexual and intellectual insecurities on one another, with no hope of release.

dude can't even write the book on his own because he doesn't speak french, i.e. the language of his subject matter, so he has to enroll a fucking belgian to do his reading for him

Is not that they are too stupid to get. Even the dumbest people could undertand some of the fundations of the continental tradition if they wanted. What is stupid is dismissing it just because you dont want to ask questions, which is what philosophy essentially is.
>this youtube video just totally DEBUNKED continental philosophy!
Dear god, read a book. You just can't dismiss a whole tradition just because you don't like a few authors who probably haven't even read.
No one is really happy about the linguistic turn of contemporary philosophy at this point. Even Derrida is his lasts years was pointing towards a more conservative point of reference to the whole deal after his crazy years.

Retards dont understand that what they are calling meta philosophy is actually continental philosophy and what they are calling continental is pre-hegel metaphysics and what they are calling analytic philosophy is just an bunch of idiot anglos who were too lazy to read hegel and got mad becuase nietzsche called them brainlets so they just started their own club that no one cares about where they circle jerk about how they are better than everyone else just because they say so

I like both Analytic and Continental and I think both should be employed in order to engaging in the world. Analytic helps in certain disciplines (for example, philosophy of maths) more while Continental helps with others (for example, philosophy of literatures). Basically, continental is more helpful in the pursuit of the humanities while analytical in the pursuit of the sciences and STEMS. Both enrich those mutual pursuits though and both have value.

No no no, we're supposed to be autistically screaming at each other here, you have to leave.

>Is not that they are too stupid to get.

Not according to basically the majority of its proponents I've encountered when challenged. I know astrophysicists, biologists, people who study complex systems, etc. Guess how many give continental philosophy any thought?

Zero.

The only people I know who do are wannabe sophisticates on the internet who talk and make awful esoteric jokes about Hegel and Derrida all day. In fact that is exactly what I think it is. Impenetrable pseudo-complex esotericism is actually fooling dimwits into thinking they're smart for understanding something completely useless.

Also
This autist out-autist-ed them in their own game even before they were even a thing and blew them the fuck out while pretty much arriving pretty much at the same conclussions Heidegger (le schizo bad continental anti science guy amirite t. anglos) did
delete thread now

This golden mean fallacy is horseshit. Continental philosophy dominates philosophy of math and science too. After postpositivism, analytics either flock to continental thought or smuggle it back into analytic thought anyway.

>I know astrophysicists, biologists, people who study complex systems
neat
link to some papers they've written/co-written?

Here look at the faggots in this thread making Kant jokes.

They're so inadequate they go online and make awful Kant jokes to signal that they too are smart and have read Kant. I'm not even criticizing Kant here so much as pointing out what I'm seeing every time I see this shit. It's achingly pathetic.

>achingly pathetic

Okay so you're case against continental philosophy is that you know scientists who don't consider it and you see people making jokes about it? Is this bait? Please be bait.

One of them wrote a textbook.

castaliahouse.com/downloads/astronomy-homeschool-bundle/

I also knew one who discovered a planet but I haven't spoken to him in years.

>castaliahouse.com/downloads/astronomy-homeschool-bundle/

b8

I could also mention public figures like Gad Saad, Nassim Taleb, Lawrence Krauss, I could go on. People who never speak of this stuff unless it's a criticism of the pseudo-intellectual tripe that it is.

Stay mad. If you don't know anyone who seriously does philosophy in real life and surround yourself with STEM minds that is on you. Besides, I don't like shitty Hegel memes either but they are a pale blue dot to the memeverse anyway.

>castaliahouse.com/downloads/astronomy-homeschool-bundle/
>Our current selection of fantasy books consists of Vox Day’s Selenoth novels, including works such as A Throne of Bones and Summa Elvetica: A Casuistry of the Elvish Controversy as well as John C. Wright’s magical One Bright Star to Guide Them.
keknificent

>surround yourself with STEM minds

Yeah, I surround myself with people who actually have to produce which requires facing failure. Actual skin the game. No room for ambiguity to hide their warts and play smart online.

>Lawrence Krauss

>Gad Saad, Nassim Taleb, Lawrence Krauss,
really weak thinkers, to be perfectly honest, with little comprehension of anything outside of their respective fields (and even then it can be iffy). anytime they speak up on issues they are not experts in they expose themselves as fundamentally ignorant

I know man, those physicists who have to be rigorous instead of relying on peer approval.

Ok I see you are just replying to the first sentence in my post while basing yours in autistic anecdotes
>I know astrophysicists, biologists, people who study complex systems, etc. Guess how many give continental philosophy any thought?
>zero
And this is something good or proves philosophy is bad because...?
Anyways, since works under philosophical assumptions that are linked to every other aspect of human existence, so those guys are depriving themselves to even understand what they are doing, why are they doing it and how what they are doing affects the world around them. They are just collecting data. Thats great, but you cant just ignore everything else if you want to interact with the world.

>really weak thinkers, to be perfectly honest

Taleb is anything but a 'weak thinker'. He's incredibly intelligent.

b8ed

>stop making jokes i dont understand
Woah further proof continental philosophy is just wrong and analytics are fucking superior good job

The relation of complex systems, emergent properties and genetics, IQ and so forth are going to do more for political philosophy in the future than garbled nonsense.

More of that 'they just don't understand' conceit. It's funny how reliably unoriginal you people are.

>because i say so
Epic

no he isn't, he's just numerate and you are not, so he's capable of bedazzling you with 'esoteric' 'data' and formulae
it's just public image building
he is selling his brand, which is himself
just another professional expert
ye probably

link to papers or books you've read that explore these topics, please

Ok keep collecting data without knowing why is that a good thing thats really original

I'm not 'numerate' so he has me fooled?

twitter.com/EricRWeinstein

So this mathematician who is friends with him must be in the same boat.

About what I'd expect from the illiterates on this board.

>tfw you realize that modern math is platonic

Taleb's books are good. Yaneer bar-Yam has explored populations and demographics as well, look him up.

For genetics I suggest Steve Hsu.

infoproc.blogspot.com

Anyway I'm out. I've had enough of the cookie cutter responses.

google.com/search?q=numeracy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab
i don't know why you're using scare quotes around a word that has a definite meaning.
>i have a black friend therefore i'm not racist
hm

you're getting as good as you're giving desu

>twitter
Epic source
Check this one out!
twitter.com/billnye

C'ya in reddit

Keep fighting the good fight bro, I Fucking Love Science too.

>and im fucking superior

analytic comes first, thats pleb tier. Then comes continental. Then comes zen.
everything has a reason and purpose. Gain wisdom, then apply it. Whats the point of reason, if you cant express your lessons learned while advancing yourself and others? And once you know and think, its okay to feel.

El autismo.. .

Yup.

It really amazes me how full of themselves continetals and the people fond of that tradition are. Is the only place these books can be found up your own ass?

Was analytic philosophy the most successful prank in history? How many people actually thought it could be a useful approach to thinking?

Yes, and deconstruction and schizoanalysis were great contributions to human thought and not lame exercises in mental masturbation or anyhting like that.

>He still hasn't accepted the Hermetic Principles

I actually encourage taking this bait, because I want to see what else you come up with.

Man im a post-meta meta philosopher. I've transcended the proccess of metaization, but there is literally not a single concrete idea in my head, while also encompassing all philosophy, making me incriticizeably all-right.

>What's the point? If you're just going to baselessly speculate, why call it philosophy?
You tell me. What do you think philosophy is? I'm 100% sure it's incorrect since you're asking this question.

Continental? Analytic? I got Sargon of Akkad to tell me what's up.

this board is attracting more teens and redditors by the day

>>Strives to use formal logic

Found your problem. Continental is also shit. The entire world caught autism after the 50's.

Yes they are, in their proper places, just like science is in its proper place.

WHERES YOURE SCIEMCE GOD NOW JESSY!?

implying pragmatic philosophy is philospy

Analytic philosophy was born out of people who were too lazy to read Hegel. They've been stuck in the "dood what do you mean with gnosology? facts are facts lool" phase until very recently. The fact that all analytic drones employ the category of "useful" to disparage continental philosophy reveals how much far deep their heads are in their asses (it also isn't true, analphil is 99% pointless arguing over semantics).

Continetnals try to justify their discipline by saying its more useful. You'd be delusional to think there's anything else to it.

>If you're just going to baselessly speculate, why call it philosophy?

Why analytics such pseuds? There's no speculation in continental philosophy.

>Analytic philosophy strives to use formal logic

Yes, but what they consider logic is anything they do like and what's not logic is anything they don't like. Its heavily tainted by their circlejerk and it leads them to simplistic or fallacious arguments. If Alan Turing was alive today making the case for digital intelligence, they'd just smugly smirk and say "heh, well consciousness can't be objectively proven anyway, therefore it not worth caring about", not realizing that it absolutely is because if AI can actually feel pain then we'd committing horrors we would never tolerate on ourselves without realizing it.