What does Veeky Forums think of this novel?

What does Veeky Forums think of this novel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zwgbikrEar4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good book

best novel

Has too many rings.

one of the best books of the 20th century

Yes.
No.
The amount of rings is just right.
Disputable.

Only case of great books being adapted into great movies

LoTR was the peak of fantasy fiction imho.
read The Silmarillion and then re-read LoTR, the sense of place and time the former affords to the latter is marvellous

Howard's vitalism > Tolkien's entropy

Pure fun fantasy Kino.

Pretty fucking great book

good reactionary book, more important than it may seem

An excellent book, arguably the best piece of fantasy ever written, and a strong argument against the rigid subdivision between "genre" and "literary" fiction

I just watched the film version.

breddy gud too

Tolkien is so sincere in his traditional Catholic imagination that I can't help but love him, even as a homosexual marxist that probably represents everything he hated. I like his essays and letters too, the ones where he talks with his son about theology are cute as fuck.

contemporary fantasy is garbage because it is all the same themes and shit - but tolkein was the first to do much of this stuff, so he is pretty good

>even as a homosexual marxist

how can you live with yourself?

>Tfw you realize the dragons are what the dwarfs become when they let the ring influence them too much like how the men turned into Nazguls

Only case of great fantasy books being adapted into great movies.

Simple, I examined the counter-arguments for my positions and don't see any reason for self-hatred. Regarding sexuality, natural law ethics are really poor and thoroughly debunked, and empirical data shows sexual diversity to be very wide and incompatible with traditional notions. Furthermore, subjectively speaking I have only my own frame of reference as the ultimate judge, and have experienced love for males and females to be basically identical in its content. Regarding politics, I try to read economics and theory from multiple sources to revise my positions so I don't discount the possibility of renouncing leftism, but it hasn't happened so far.

The thing about Catholicism, traditionalist conservatism etc., they are pleasing aesthetically and narratively but fall apart when confronted with critical thinking. The worldview of LOTR is attractive on the surface but utterly divorced from real world concerns and human history. It's sort of like medieval metaphysics. Ultimately I can't believe in something just because of historical authority/convention, at least in the long term.

It's one of the most powerful fantasy stories (in fact, stories in general) ever told. This can be seen not only though its influence and legacy, but also in how gripping the story is despite all the structural eccentricities and Tolkien's prose - which isn't the best.

E.g. how the narrative splits in the Two Towers, destroying the momentum of the story right in the middle of it. How the beginning is "too long" and the end is "too short" (just open your copy and look at how many pages it takes for the hobbits to leave the Shire, then look at the pages given to resolution of major events at the end of the book).

Depth of the world building is almost unbelievable. A throwaway comment describing some line of hills, or ruins, or some random character's name, will invariably have several hundred (or thousand) years of well thought-out fictional history behind it. The made up languages are legitimate languages. The author, outside of his published fiction, a leading linguist in his field and it shows.

Characterisation overall isn't great, indeed you can often guess how a character will act if you know their name or bloodline. But wow are there some gems, first and foremost Gollum who is completely fascinating, and then people like Boromir and Denethor. The character development Sam goes through is great. Finally, the One Ring, which I'd argue is a character in itself.

The story though, it reaches a majesty that is hardly ever achieved in other novels. Weathertop, where the ringwraiths approach moving by smell, as darker spots in the shadows, is harrowing. Moria - "they are coming". The anger of Fangorn Forest personified in the Ents. It's said that Tolkien was partly inspired by the part in Hamlet where they think the forest is moving, and he wanted it to actually happen. Finally the entrance of the Rohirrim to the battle outside Minas Tirith where Tolkien introduces them via the description of the arrival of morning and the cockerel crowing, is one of the most powerful things you'll ever read.

Maybe the best device of all is that you experience all of the high fantasy stuff from the "common sense" and nominally insignificant viewpoint of the hobbits. The end game of LotR is to realise that the wisest person in the entire damn thing was the Gaffer (pic related), and certainly not Gandalf (who proposes nothing short of almost certain suicide). But for story purposes what matters is Gandalf's faith in God, and by extension the Fellowship's, to achieve the almost impossible.

>The thing about Catholicism, traditionalist conservatism etc., they are pleasing aesthetically and narratively but fall apart when confronted with critical thinking. The worldview of LOTR is attractive on the surface but utterly divorced from real world concerns and human history. It's sort of like medieval metaphysics. Ultimately I can't believe in something just because of historical authority/convention, at least in the long term.
Kill yourself faggot. Hang yourself and jack off while you're doing it so you go out with that degenerate pleasure you value so much.

Is the new Amazon show going to be like this?

>I says to him.
youtube.com/watch?v=zwgbikrEar4

probably, i doubt current tv producers can create decent reactionary fantasy

No. Read the Silmarillion.

You seem very upset user. I'm not sure what triggered you exactly, I didn't refer to anything regarding "degenerate pleasure".

But Howard was also entropy since he thought barbarism is the natural state of man.

do I need to spell it out for you? being gay is degenerate. Butt sex is degenerate. These aren't revolutionary ideas. But I specifically told you to kill yourself for posting that atrocious excuse for a paragraph.

Can you define degenerate without referring to a outdated conception of natural law?

Shit for manchildren correlated with the most obnoxious fanbase to ever walk the Earth.

when did I say anything about natural law? Read the Bible faggot

>The thing about Catholicism, traditionalist conservatism etc., they are pleasing aesthetically and narratively but fall apart when confronted with critical thinking.

this is very ironic coming from a professed marxist

Faramir is the best character. Then Gimli. I hate how they ruined both in the shitty movies.

you certainly can, but I admit I find it far more disturbing that you are so eager to discard 3000 years of philosophy in order to justify your present state of existence

erm.. wut?
this is frankly an insult to all the dwarves in middle earth.
we are the proud sons of Aulë, given life by Ilúvatar himself
dragons are the very foulest spawn of morgoth

take your shit to /pol/ and stop sullying this board with your self-absorbed nonsense
marxists, natsocs, lgbt activists, you're all cancer and i hope you devour eachother