Evil Biblical Charater Names?

I read the first page of The Beauties and the Furies by Christina Stead recently and I was surprised to find that one of the children of the main family was called Saul. This struck me as odd as Saul is essentially the evil pre-demption name of Paul in the new Testement. Why would you name your child after an evil character? It's almost implausible to the point of breaking realism.

So my question is, have you ever thought about naming your child after a biblical villain, like Cain or Pilate?

I would never give my child a biblical name since im not a jew or a christcuck. Pilatus was not a villain.

Pilate is usually painted as a villian in Christian popular thought, and is commonly interpreted as such

all romans were villains
what have the romans ever done for us, eh?

Pilates tried so save Christ. He asked the people if they were sure, were they REALLY sure they wanted to pardon the murderer and not this really nice guy Jesus Christ? It was his duty to carry out the will of the people.

People who think Pilatus was a villain are idiots, but that's not all too surprising.

Saul isn't quite viewed as evil, though he's complicated and fatally flawed.

Goes to show you how smart Christians are if they considering him as such

So christians can't be idiots?

what? how is that what you understood?
I was saying a lot of christians are idiots.

Despite Pilate's ostensibly good intentions, his actions are still negatively evaluated by the Christians. It might be surprising for a modern reader to read Pilate not acting villainously, and put his bad reputation down to superficial Christian interpretation, but that's blaming the horse for the cart. Part of the merit of the Gospels is it's portrayal of a historical figure, with sympathetic motives and reasons, nevertheless doing the "wrong thing" - which is torturing an executing an innocent person (who is also God). Buddha is said to have excommunicated a follower for participating in an execution, even though his motivation for assisting was to alleviate the person's pain. Injunctions against polite, meek, "sensible" lukewarmness are not out of place in religious morality.
There's also a possible deliberate political overtone in having a reluctant Pilate succumb to the Jewish mob, putting the ultimate responsibility of Christ's death on the Jews as opposed to the Roman authorities.
Pilate wouldn't be a good name for a child because regardless of his personal merits, he's described in the Bible only because of his relevance to Christ's crucifixion. Saul is a more varied character.

In some traditions Pilate is considered a saint who converted to Christianity.

Saul/Paul never changed his name, they're just variants of the same name, nowhere in his letters or in Acts does it mention a name change.

Saul was just a common jewish name, it doesn't necessarily have evil connotations.

You retorted my argument that pilate is commonly understood as a villian, and therefore is a part of a form of christian popular practice ergo a part of christianity itself, by stating that only idiots would believe pilate is a villain, implying that idiots and christians are mutually exclusive.

wait wat

There's also King Saul...

They were catholic though. Maybe it showed the family's warped spirituality.

I have this idea that Pilatus is considered a villain despite his good character because blaming him takes the blame from the people, who were the driving force behind Jesus execution, which lends itself VERY well to let's say, idolatrous christians- The kind that cherry pick the bible to support their bigotry. They're the crowd demanding Jesus be executed. But if they can push the blame on Pilatus, the guy who was in the position to actually perpetrate the execution, they are "absolved" of the fault.
They didn't kill Jesus, Pilatus did.
They're not bigots, the bible says they should be.

stop posting.

The family in the book in the OP, that is

this is and has always been retarded christian propaganda
jeshua was an enemy of the roman state and was executed for sedition
pilate as the roman military governor would have signed off on the execution without a second thought

THAT'S WHAT IT SAYS IN THE FUCKING BIBLE!

No it doesn't, it says Pilate tried changing the mind of the Jewish crowd and told them Jesus was innocent.

>it says Pilate tried changing the mind of the Jewish crowd and told them Jesus was innocent.
Exactly! So how is it christian propaganda?

Because it makes the Jews look bad and the Romans (big guys) look less bad.

But it was ultimately his legal responsibility, his abandoning his formal power to save moral face from future perspectives, which is his moment of falling from grace.

Because Pilate wouldn't have tried to exonerate a messianic claimant, that entailed being king of the Jews and was treason. The gospels try to shift the blame to the jewish population as they were written when the split between jews and christians was deepening.

I would not name my child Clytemnestra, but i think it would be cool if someone did

I just got a fight or flight response. It's like chlamydia and menstruation is one awful, bad idea. That poor girl would suffer hell in middle school and for the rest of her life.

>Why would you name your child after an evil character?
Are the parents (((Jews)))?

Figure out the rest yourself.

I'd say Dante was fairly representative of popular Christian thought and he places Pilate in Limbo along with Julius Caesar and Plato, whereas plenty of pagans end up in some of the deeper circles

>Because Pilate wouldn't have tried to exonerate a messianic claimant,
Pilate didn't give two shits about Judaic religion and their quaint messianic beliefs.
> that entailed being king of the Jews and was treason.
It did not, and furthermore Pilate didn't give two shits if some hick calls himself king.
>The gospels try to shift the blame to the jewish population as they were written when the split between jews and christians was deepening.
Christ was crucified by the Jews for violating Jewish blasphemy laws, since Christ said he was God.

This is corroborated by all sources, both Christian and Jewish.

Only people like you, that is, 70-IQ illiterate morons raised by Ninja Turtles instead of sane parenting, can get this confused.