Post the last 5 books you bought

Post the last 5 books you bought.

Other urls found in this thread:

rowohlt.de/taschenbuch/vladimir-nabokov-lolita.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

got this little stack last weekend, and the last before that was an Oxford World's Classics edition of Silas Marner

12 rules of life by professor meme
Behold a Pale Horse
The conspiracy against the human race
Stoner

>Behold a Pale Horse
>buying conspiracy junk

4 books, and one of these books are not like the others. I suppose if you wanted 5 the last one before this was Gogol's Dead Souls

Herodotus histories
Complete poems of Wallace Stevens
On extended wings - Helen Vendler
Mostellaria - Plautus
Twelfth night - Shakespeare

That Janson book is very comprehensive, but if you can finish it then by all means, it'll give you a very complete understanding of art.
I'd recommend starting with either Stokstad's or Hartt's texts, will post links in a second because they're hard to find via google.
t. Took AP art history in high school

How to Read Books by Mortimer Adler
The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu
Sleepwalking Land by Mia Couto
A Confession by Leon Tolstoy

Is Behold a Pale Horse fiction or "non"fiction?

Locke - Essay Concerning Human Understanding
Plato - Symposium and the Death of Socrates (Apology, Eutyphro, Crito, Phaedo)
Marx - Capital Volumes I & II

Don't remember what I bought before these desu, probably it was the used Pellican Guide to English Literature I found for a buck.

>NRSV
Pseud.
KJV or Douay-Rheims are the only two English translations that matter.

>KJV or Douay-Rheims are the only two English translations that matter.
Not according to anyone that studies the bible, you try hard autist.

Which one would you recommend for somebody who wants to study the Bible as a catholic?

>Locke - Essay Concerning Human Understanding
why? It's not a book worth owning, and you can read it for free.

You should see if you can get a refund for Three Novels.
Silas Marner is good though.

Search for the NRSV catholic edition

Why did you buy two of the same bibles if one just also has apocrypha?
Anyway my 5
>essay concerning human understanding, Locke
>the Master & Margarita, Bulgakov
>meditations, Descartes
>mason & Dixon, Pynchon
>either/or II, Kierkegaard

why's that? I read Malone Dies already, it was interesting enough that I want to read the other two. plus it's a nice edition and it was only 3 quid.

Silas Marner is the best book I've read so far this year.

I do it too, OP, I masturbate furiously, constantly refreshing the page with the tracking data until delivery is imminent. I clean myself off, fetch the packages to start my ritual. I open each one slowly, talking as I do pretending like I am doing an unboxing. Then when all the books are out, I stack them up on the shelf, take a few handpicked doodads or meaningless piece of clutter and aesthetically place them just so around them. I take a few pictures, do any necessary editing in photoshop and then it's on to the fun part. I go on lit and scan the catalogue for any shelf or stack threads. If there aren't any, I'll make one. It sucks if there already is an active one because then I'll have to include a few vague replies commenting on books I know nothing about subjectively in order to not be deemed a lazy poster and get no replies. Then I simply wait, cock in hand for when the (You)s start coming in, asking me about opinions, giving compliments etc. I am usually too busy with the frenetic pleasuring of myself at this point and as the peak of attention builds to a crescendo I slip the belt around my neck and let euphoria take me. Then I feel disgusted with myself, can't even look at the books I just bought. Shamefacedly, I pile them into plain brown bags and carry them downstairs to the alley. I set them in the metal fire receptacle and douse the whole lot in lighter fluid. I light a cigarette, take a symbolic puff and flick it in. For there are always better stacks to make, more shelves to produce. And I am your hero, I will not let you down.

you monster.
that's a waste of a perfectly good cigarette.

>tfw you see other people on Veeky Forums getting turned on to George Eliot

Tolstoy was at half-price, so I thought what the hell. I've read the Maud translation is the best in English, so that's a plus.

I'm planning to read all her novels by the end of this year. Mill On The Floss and Silas Marner done already, Adam Bede next.

Book?

In German:
>Kitchen
>Berlin, Alexanderplatz
>Siddhartha

Hungarian:
>Tolstoy - Resurrection
>Storm of Steel

ist that a bookmark on the very left? where did you get it?

>The Honourable Company by John Keay
>King Leopold's Ghost by Hochschild
>The Roads to Freedom by Sartre (three books)

Bought it at the DDR Museum in Berlin

Why would you read Storm of Steel in Hungarian if you can read German?

I didn't have time to visit a proper bookstore in Germany.
And it was a quite cheap edition.

Loebs are fun.
I like to read a random Greek page before going to bed.

Snow Country - Kawabata
Middlemarch - Eliot
Ali - Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree
Binh - The Sorrows of War
Orwell - Essays
Roy - The Algebra of Infinite Justice

Six but I bought the last two together

>Snow country
It's an excellent novel. The characters are so alive. The scenery is so nice.

For myself:
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
SPQR by Mary Beard
Germania by Simon Winder

As gifts:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Our Year of War by Daniel Bolger

What edition of Lolita is that? Deutsche?

Yes, it's a german one. rowohlt.de/taschenbuch/vladimir-nabokov-lolita.html

Patrician choices.
But why only the first volume of Man Without Qualities?

>Love by Stendhal
>The Complete Works of Meister Eckhart
>Reign of Quantity by Guenon
>Religio Medici and Urne-Buriall by Browne
>The Epistle to the Romans by Barth
What should I read first?

Society of Spectacle
Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
Rhinoceros, The Chairs, The Lesson
Social Contract

Was an impulse buy in my local bookstore and they only had the first part. Second part will follow, but I have a lot on my to-read list.

That's a reasonable explanation.
I hope you'll enjoy War and Peace. It's an excellent novel. The characters are extremely human.

12 Rules for Life
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
All the President's Men
The Box Man
The Master and Margarita

>NRSV twice
Why tho?

The more unique Bibles you collect, the closer you become to god

Great picks, my man

Storm of Steel (all works by Jünger for that matter) is surprisingly expensive in german.

One has the apocrypha. I bought them both very cheap second hand in excellent condition.

-2 anthropology texts (History of Modern Sudan and a history of the State of Nevada)
-The Sun Also Rises & Hemingway's Short story collection
-War & Peace

>war and peace
Sounds like you bought three anthropology texts m8

Herodotus - The Histories
Augustine - The Confessions
Torquato - Jerusalem Delivered
Milton - Paradise Regained, Samson Agonistes

Cheers to the user who recommended me the Nye book, I managed to find a copy in a second hand book shop, as well as A Peculiar People, which is a book I'd been looking for for a while :D

good one haha. That was months ago, when the 2 other texts were purchased just last week. Undoubtedly, I received a better education on the history of W&P's setting than any schooling could teach.

you should kys for being a tradfag
horrible taste, bad in bed

>Augustine - The Confessions
What is the best version?

I'd have to read it like 5 times to tell you that. I purchased Everyman's Library though because it has decent annotations but also because it highlights next to certain phrases when Augustine is quoting or combining passages from the Bible in the articulation of his questions, confessions, or address to God.

Takes a man to attack two people and not post their own tastes. OP said post what you last purchased; 5 books don't constitute someone's taste, my friend.

Marx only wrote the first volume, Engles wrote 2&3

I just bought these three

The apocrypha is just the books the protties took out of the catholic bible, then put back in in an appendix. But I guess if it didn't cost much whatever.

Somebody got meme'd on hard.