Is there a great female poet?

is there a great female poet?

in philosophy there are a few, but not a single one in poetry that i can think of...

H.D.

Ono no Komachi

Yes
Ingeborg Bachmann is really good
There are various well-known female Japanese Heian court poets, the most famous would be Ono no Komachi

Sappho.

Yes those scraps and fragments are truly great

Sylvia Plath?

Fucking dipshit.

Emily Dickinson and Elizabeth Bishop.

Marianne Moore and Emily Dickinson

Sylvia Plath is shit

Dickinson, no contest.
Also
>in philosophy there are a few
Who?

Ingeborg my Frau, never see anyone mention her on lit. I haven’t read any of her poetry, only Malina.

Idiot

Ayn Rand

Simone de Beavoir?

Fucking dipshit.

retarded.

Imbecile

'''GREAT''' philosophers
Fucks sake, fucking kill yourselves.

The best german poets are all woman

Shall earth no more inspire thee,
Thou lonely dreamer now?
Since passion may not fire thee
Shall Nature cease to bow?

Thy mind is ever moving
In regions dark to thee;
Recall its useless roving—
Come back and dwell with me.

I know my mountain breezes
Enchant and soothe thee still—
I know my sunshine pleases
Despite thy wayward will.

When day with evening blending
Sinks from the summer sky,
I’ve seen thy spirit bending
In fond idolatry.

I’ve watched thee every hour;
I know my mighty sway,
I know my magic power
To drive thy griefs away.

Few hearts to mortals given
On earth so wildly pine;
Yet none would ask a heaven
More like this earth than thine.

Then let my winds caress thee;
Thy comrade let me be—
Since nought beside can bless thee,
Return and dwell with me.

There are no great female geniuses in any discipline

>Great female philosophers
An example would be Anscombe, who btfo C.S. Lewis so hard he had to rewrite an entire chapter in his book and stopped being an apologist. She also invented consequentialism.
Also Harendt (although I don't personally like her she's very influential) and Weil.

So you guys are judging her greatness from the one full poem we have? Or are you taking the ancient opinion at face value?

Christina Rossetti

Why do people suck Dickinson’s cock so much? I haven’t read a single poem from her that blew me off my feet, but I can say that for Eliot, Whitman, and Crane?

t. Honest poetry pleb, I’ve only read a little

Hannah Arendt

Yes, they are.

brainlet. I bet you can't even read greek

T. Sappho

Her poems aren't sublime, they're beautiful. Her best poems are packed with meaningful subtlety in the rhythms and rhymes, unique and interesting and original phrasing, forceful arguments, etc. They're also usually deeply ironic. They get better and better the more you read into them and the more of them you read.

She was not setting out to be great like Eliot, Whitman, and Crane, so her poems rarely reach for the very large scale, the grand lyric or narrative poem. But in the tradition of the small lyric she is unmatched.

Eliot can't touch Whitman or Crane.

Marry Wollstonecraft

you got that reversed buddy

Whitman or Crane can't be touched by Eliot

Gabriela Mistral.

No, but of all the arts women should theoretically be good poets

Marianne Moore

It depends on the language. Some have none like French, some have plenty like Hebrew (Leah Goldberg, Rachel Bluwstein), most have a few. Anna Akhmatova, Dickinson, etc. The most obvious thing to say would be that it depends on the state of society at the place and time where the language is experiencing a golden age.

Simone Weil

op here. not one of these posted has been good thanks for proving my point

what's your idea of great poetry? because you appear to have no taste whatsoever.

Beyond the obvious, Elizabeth Bishop. Bishop is one of, if not the biggest influence on contemporary poetry. Sharon Olds deserves a mention and has earned her place in the canon already. Monica Youn is a personal favorite. I'm also really excited about Catherine Blauvelt and the things she's doing with poetry. There are plenty of female poets writing today, that I think might one day be counted among the greats, probably more than there are great contemporary male poets.

dunno about english once, but some good german ones are Rose Ausländer, Nelly Sachs, Ingeborg Bachmann

Inger Christensen and Tove DItlevsen

Konopnicka

Elizabeth Bishop
Emily Dickinson
Stevie Smith

Don't listen to this guy.

>Emily Dickingson

>There is a poopie in my butt--
>a dick came thrusting in--
>the dick turned brown-- my bed was-- ruined
>I did not stop to atone--

> #
>Don't listen to this guy.
Don't listen to this guy.

The interesting thing is to think which should the "go-to-girls" to answer this provocation. I immediately think of Rosalind Franklin and Marie Curie.

You are restricting yourself to the English language

Many of the best contemporary philosophers, especially for the ancients (Foot, Fine, Nussbaum with the Rawlsian shit Descarted) and Kantians (Korsgaard), are women. My favorite was Iris Murdoch (fuck her novels desu), who sweeped away her contemporaries — I'd recommend "The Sovereignty of Good over Other Concepts" or, if you're well read in Plato, "The Fire and the Sun."

Oh, almost forgot Anscombe! She blows Kripke out of the water, IMO.

Sharon Olds is an awful, sentimental, self-pitying and self-dramatizing poet. The fact that you lump her in with Elizabeth Bishop proves that you're a poser and a psued.

>Bishop is one of, if not the biggest influence on contemporary poetry
This is meaningless. Despite what English professors say, literature is not about tracing long genealogies of influence between artists. It's about enjoyment and pleasure.

H.D. is just not a good poet. I myself cannot remember a single line of her poems. And she went off the deep end with Freud and feminism, which should be enough to turn anyone off.

Forgot Marianne Moore.

>She invented consequentialism
No she fucking didn't

>I myself cannot remember a single line of her poems.
so what? your memory isn't the arbiter of good poetry.

feel free to dislike her. she may not be your taste and that's fine. not everyone has to like every worthwhile poet. but don't write her off.

do you read poetry aloud? I think H.D. works much better spoken than read. and spoken slowly, at that.

Have you read H.D.'s long poems?
Her short imagist poems are great and many are very memorable...
But I think she's her best after she shakes off the fetters of pounds strict definitions and this best seen in her long poems.

Rilke?

I always felt that Anne Sexton was the improved version of Plath.