>longships
>amsterdam stories
>skylark
>stoner
>the ego and its own

Other urls found in this thread:

nyrb.com/pages/about
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Haven't read many but I'll always be partial to Mawrdew Czgowchwz. It's the gayest thing I've read in my life--in a good way.

i was just looking at that, what do you mean it's gay

my fav so far

It's joyful (therefore gay in the original sense), flamboyant, melodramatic, baroque, sophisticated but also geeky. I thought it was way over-the-top in some places, yet it remained a pleasant read until the grandiose end.
I've always had a thing for this thing I call geekiness: passionate discourse by a close connaisseur about a more or less fringe segment of art, industry or technology. It could be beekeeping, Byzantine icons or narrow gauge diesel-electric locomotives,--anything that I may not originally have the slightest interest in--whenever I read or listen to a true buff of whatever it might be talk from the heart about his life-long passion, no matter how obscure, I swoon. By the way, in the case of Mawrdew Czgowchwz the subject of its intricate geekiness is opera and its drama on and behind the scenes.

That's a nice cover. Is the book as comfy as it looks?

I recently read Memories of the Future by Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky, a short story collection. I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you like Kafka and Borges or Russian lit. Will pick up Autobiography of a Corpse at some point as well.

The Peregrine
Hard Rain Falling
Life and Fate
Warlock

Anatomy of Melancholy > all

the peregrine is the most purple prose ive ever read
whats that one? ive heard good thiings

>That's a nice cover. Is the book as comfy as it looks?

Absolutely.

In fact the cover features in the story. The person writing the book sees that painting and asks to hear the story behind it. That's how the book begins.

best NYRB for Borges fans.

eh, more like a shitty imitation i thought

Sounds like just what I was looking for. Here's another comfy, melancholy one.

The Book of Ebenezer Le Page
Jakob von Gunten
A Schoolboy's Diary
Skylark
Diary of a Man in Despair

have had those first two on my shelf for a while, which should i read first

I thought it was almost as good. More diluted then the usual Borges piece and mostly free of his usual obsessions. It's a nice cap if you've been on an Argie binge.

anyone always feel bad about reading translations? Is do it but theres always a sense of missing out.

Meh, you’d be missing out on much more by never reading anything translated.

Either, both are fantastic. Ebenezer is basically my favourite book of all time, so maybe that?

yeah, i never open my eyes because what's the point when you can only see the small visible part of the spectrum and you're blind to the majority of it?

this and Platonov's Foundation Pit
excellent taste

>imitation
Borges was very close with Bioy Casares back in the day and he reviewed and critiqued most of the manuscripts when Morel was being written. I've read other stuff by Bioy Casares and this is probably the most Borgesian of his works.

Collected Essays of Elizabeth Hardwick.

Good:
>Late Fame by Arthur Schnitzler
>Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton
>Life and Fate by Vassily Grossman
Shit:
>Young Once by Patrick Modiano

oh fug forgot Life and Fate as NYRB too, add that to mine

Nyrb have kino covers

This is one of my favorite books. It's weird to find other people who are into it.

Only one I own at present is ‘Diary of a Man in Despair’

Chevallier's WWI memoir is great

it's neither shitty nor an imitation of Borges, although it isn't as good and there's certainly influence there.

lurk more newfag the book is shilled on Veeky Forums all the time

it's shitty get over it

It's a weird book to get shilled though. Lit is mostly noobs to classic stuff but somehow they stumbled upon this one.

Can someone give a quick rundown on nyrb?

I mean it's not like it's difficult to find Bioy Casares when you read a bit about Borges. or even just Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius.

think they were talking about anatomy of melancholy m8

hmmmm probably

this shit was so much fun

The NYRB Classics series is dedicated to publishing an eclectic mix of fiction and non-fiction from different eras and times and of various sorts. The series includes nineteenth century novels and experimental novels, reportage and belles lettres, tell-all memoirs and learned studies, established classics and cult favorites, literature high, low, unsuspected, and unheard of. NYRB Classics are, to a large degree, discoveries, the kind of books that people typically run into outside of the classroom and then remember for life.

Literature in translation constitutes a major part of the NYRB Classics series, simply because so much great literature has been left untranslated into English, or translated poorly, or deserves to be translated again, much as any outstanding book asks to be read again.

The series started in 1999 with the publication of Richard Hughes’s A High Wind in Jamaica and by the end of 2015, over 400 titles will be in print. NYRB Classics includes new translations of canonical figures such as Euripides, Aeschylus, Dante, Balzac, Nietzsche, and Chekhov, as well fresh translations of Stefan Zweig, Robert Walser, Alberto Moravia, and Curzio Malaparte; fiction by modern and contemporary masters such as Vasily Grossman, Mavis Gallant, Daphne du Maurier, Kingsley Amis, Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky, Wlliam H. Gass, John Williams, and Patrick Leigh Fermor; tales of crime and punishment by George Simenon, Kenneth Fearing, and Jean-Patrick Manchette; masterpieces of narrative history and literary criticism, poetry, travel writing, biography, cookbooks, and memoirs from such writers as Norman Mailer, Lionel Trilling, and Charles Simic; and unclassifiable classics on the order of J. R. Ackerley’s My Dog Tulip and Robert Burton’s The Anatomy of Melancholy. A few of our 2015 publishing highlights are Magda Szabó’s The Door, Eileen Chang’s Naked Earth, and Sybille Bedford’s A Legacy.

Published in handsome uniform trade paperback editions, almost all NYRB Classics feature an introduction by an outstanding writer, scholar, or critic of our day. Taken as a whole, NYRB Classics may be considered a series of books of unrivaled variety and quality for discerning and adventurous readers.

nyrb.com/pages/about

oh shit this was so good

Absolute fucking kino

>>the ego and its own
Erm, there is no Stirner NYRB as far as I can tell.

NYRB did a good job penetrating Veeky Forums. The type of titles NYRB (re)publishes appeals to Veeky Forums's proclivities.

Very different from their other material, but undeniable

butchers crossing and augustus. fucking john williams man. also warlock. im still catching up on nyrb

i also liked to each his own, very kafkaesque (and i cringed typing that but its the most accurate). i know someone on here hates it but fuck i liked it

I read the Penguin Book of Chinese Verse and loved it. Been interested to read this too.

I'm glad they publish Chateaubriand, his work would be a little harder to come by in a nice, neat edition otherwise.

I'm wet
t. waiting on my tax returns

I loved this, he had another one in the NYRB series but I can't remember the name of it

In love

When Berlin Alexanderplatz gets published it better make the Veeky Forums meme 100 of the year

keeno

The skin is great too

That Thirty Years war history was great

I remember a post in a NYRB thread about how it seems like around 2015 all new books stopped being uploaded to the libgens, ect.. and then someone said they all get posted on bibliotik

if an user ever put together a public torrent of them i would seed until the end of the world