4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/French
podclub.ch/fr/emissions/l-avis-de-marie-f?start=135
users.bestweb.net/~siom/martian_mountain/! L-R the most important passages.htm
livelingua.com/course/fsi/French_Phonology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

As a matter of fact I can.

>Take French classes for three years as a senior in High School
>Learn nothing and soon forget everything about French

This is why the education system is so shitty. CIA agents can become fluent in french in 1000 hours of study time but schools cant teach it in 3 years? Im canadian so I was learning it since Grade 2 and didnt become fluent until after high school when I self studied. Schools are pathetic

>can't speak AT LEAST one Germanic, one Slavic, one Romance, and one dead Indo-European language (either Latin, Greek, Anglo-Saxon, Sanskrit or Old Slavonic)

Worst of all, it was only like, two hours per week. Weak shit.

>only know indo-european languages

pleb, thats basically only counts as 1 language

>tfw anglophone

How much effort do I need to put in to understand French on a "book-reading" level? I mean the constant French quips, not a whole book.

>tfw this is true in a certain sense
Whoa...

>Takes 1000 hours for CIA agents
>2 hours a week for three years, which is 324 hours if you pretend holidays weren't there

How do you learn French? Can anyone provide resources, methods, etc.. I also made a thread here, , but may have to spampost Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums since it's actually ending up being rather difficult to find a quality method.

It's pretty easy to find French grammar books published by some UP. I know German ones, but never been interested in French.

Best method = learn grammar, read books, watch shows or movies in the language.

I learned how to count in German by listening to Rammstein songs. They always count to ten for some reason.

Also, duolingo will help you learn very basic stuff like greetings, etc.

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/French

depends, but you're probably gay and retarded so the answer is a lot.

mm, probably right. One day I'll gather the courage

me, but for the first year and a half of university

>Take Spanish Classes for two years in middle school and two years in high school
>Can fumble my way through written spanish if I stare at it long enough

I've never learned any foreign language before, and the structure of learning is vastly different (as an example if you want to learn calculus you grab a book on precalc then a book on calc, boom done - not so with languages). I'm planning on just dipping my toes into Memrise, Dulingo, etc and some public library material + pirated. I dipped my toes into some Portuguese awhile back, but I'd like to really gain a thorough understanding this time.

I've been looking at the wiki for the past couple hours, but I'd be interested in a 'routine' someone compiled given those resources.

anyone who wants to learn french:
buy schaums grammar, find some random vocabulary website, and have at it.

You have to think of a routine yourself and see what works best for you. But if you want a pre-packaged neatly wrapped answer I'll give you one. Download Assimil New French With Ease (pdf and audios) and practice everyday for atleast 30 minutes or so. The key is to practice each day so you create a habit. Also listen to french talk radio, watch movies with subtitles, shows, whatever. Immerse yourself in the language, and track your progress. At the end of each day ask yourself how many french sentences did you read, write and hear.

Plus CIA agents aren't brainlets like user.

lingvist.io
clozemaster.com
and something very easy to read

Thank you, I understand the routine should be tailored to my needs, but a starting point is nice.

> fluent in French here

OP is a faggot, pardon my French

thank you, hadn't come across these yet, bookmarked

yeah its bad in Canada.

I self taught french after I was out of school and I picked it up fast.

German is a different animal though

You can also bookmark this for later while you're at it:
podclub.ch/fr/emissions/l-avis-de-marie-f?start=135

And if you're feeling brave, here's a completely fucking nuts method for language learning created by some schizophrenic nutzo:
users.bestweb.net/~siom/martian_mountain/! L-R the most important passages.htm
It's probably bullshit, but if you read books anyway then you might as well try it. There's an audiobook of L'etranger read by Camus floating somewhere on the net, so that's worth listening to for example.

Lastly, here's a very good phonology course:
livelingua.com/course/fsi/French_Phonology

No we are not. Now everyone post your political compasses and college.

ty based weird user

moderate diligent study for a year or two.

>three years as a senior in High School

>french 'literature'

I did irish for 10 years in school and could barely reamer how to say my name. In the past year I've been teaching myself and have improved tremendouslying

>all non-speaking french people are crying
>all french speaking people are smug and beautiful
>therefore all French people are smug and beutiful

elaborate

>fluent in french in 1000 hours of study
That's A LOT of hours