Who is the most underrated philosopher of the 20th century and why is it TK Seung...

Who is the most underrated philosopher of the 20th century and why is it TK Seung? Just read "the formation of the faustian ethos" and it blew me the fuck away.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/zhGXw2n
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

haven't heard of this guy but his book on nietzsche seems interesting

my nigga

It's extremely rare to find someone with this kind of breadth in academia nowadays. Masterful synthesis of literary criticism with Continental philosophical concepts.

Semiotics and Thematics in Hermeneutics seems to be the apotheosis of his thought, draws extensively from Hegel and Kierkegaard. I've been working towards it but I'm trying to internalize his views on the rest of the philosophical canon first.

He's a good teacher but I don't really find myself drawn to his book. Fun fact, he escaped North Korea. Funner fact, the smartest kid I know read his book and went to talk with hin about Kant during office hours and got called an idiot.

why did he get called an idiot?

quick rundown on him?

For misunderstanding Kant and the book

oriental bug people will never be able to grasp the faustian ethos, which belongs exclusively to the white man. They should stick to engineering and maudlin tripe about their 2nd generation identity crisis

seems a bit harsh. most students won't understand philosophy at a high level for a very long time.

godspeed user, i drew heavily from that book when writing my thesis.

Synthesizes a deep familiarity with the Western Canon (emphasis on Faust and Divine Comedy) with concepts from ancient Chinese Philosophy that haven't really been explored in western academia. Dazzling idealism informed by an impressively global reference to particular works.

Also has some work that's a bit like like Deleuze in that he consistently puts out creative reinterpretations of other thinkers that transcend the primary text, again drawing heavily from his culture-bridging worldthought

Best place to start is Cultural Thematics

agreed

I am bumping you are thread

this struck me as well actually, the elegant synthesis between eastern and western thought in his work. he's like a figure on the verge between two traditions yet has masterful command of both. will be a critically important thinker in the future.

this man, in my country, hes a culture traitor
tk sung bows to new confucianism or is good as a whitey

Incredibly insightful post the discovery of which has affected a perceptible positive alteration to immediate wellbeing and the course of my life in general.

I took a class with this wonderful man when at Austin, a fresh-faced undergraduate with a precocious taste for Baudelaire, free jazz, fine whiskey, and finer women.

Let me just say that Seung is far and away the best professor I've had the pleasure of ever studying under - not only for the clarity of his thought, which in a field notorious for turgid prose, and wandering unsystematic argumentation, is to us students of academic philosophy like the soothing anaesthetic strain of cicadas to summer toilers in a Pyongyang gulag; but for his philosophic vision, far outpacing that of every serious thinker active in the Western world today, and delivering sharp condemnations of modernity in the way only a true synthesizer of traditions can, borrowing from Confucius and Hegel alike - he prognoses the present, paradoxically, by pastiching thinkers past.

Scoff if you must, but I'm inclined to call this Kant of the Midwest the first true "vaporwave philosopher"; serious readers of Seung will appreciate his almost "plunderphonic" ability to subsume seemingly incompatible systems of thought across the centuries, across borders and cultures and traditions, into a uniquely ahistorical yet deeply contemporary philosophical Weltanschauung that, even if you reject as a fiction, will leave you awed and humbled for its mastery.

Oh, yeah? Maybe he do that cause the West provides him a platform for his ideas whereas its basically impossible to practice academic philosophy in the STEMcucked East.

discord.gg/zhGXw2n

WUt is this.

I like you are bump of thread. Gonna bump he is thread too